cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam Buyer. Looking for Advice.

I need advice. I sold an item for $590 and the buyer paid no problem.  However, it was a new person on Ebay and that was a red flag to me.  I sent two messages to confirm the address on Ebay was residential but there were no replies.  So after several hours I got the buyer's phone number and called.  The lady stated she did not buy the item and that someone must have gotten her credit card and Ebay info.  I told her she needed to contact Ebay ASAP.

A day and a half after the purchase I called Ebay and they stated the buyer has not filed a claim with them saying anything fraudulent happened with their account.  They also said if the buyer files a claim they will undo the transaction.  That part seems pretty obvious.

But to complicate the matter, AFTER the buyer verbally told me she didn't order it I finally got a message from "the buyer" through Ebay confirming the address and what shipping method to use.

My question for Ebay, that they would not give a straight answer to, was what I should do if the buyer doesn't contact Ebay.  Ebay said I would be expected to ship the item since they would consider it a normal transaction.  But they would not say at what point I'm expected to send the item.  3 days, a week?  They must encounter this all the time, but they don't have a set protocol to tell me I should follow?

So I have the following questions:

1) At what point, since I was already paid, am I obligated to send the item since in Ebay's eyes the transaction is legitimate if they never hear from the buyer?

2) What is this scam?  How do they come out ahead if they already paid me?  Do they claim they didn't receive the item and the person that supposedly stole their identity somehow got the item and they get reimbursed by PayPal or their credit card company?  I had originally planned to require a signature at delivery.  Are the scammers not counting on that?

3) If the scam is what I wrote in #2, am I as the seller protected through PayPal and do not have to return the funds if that's what happens?  The transaction on PayPal does say "Seller protection Eligible", but what does that mean in a case like this?

4) I read somewhere of buyers opening the package they receive and then taking a picture of the empty box or a box with something of no value in it and saying the buyer was trying to scam them.  Is that possible here and how can I protect myself from that?  I was planning on recording myseld packaging and delivering the item to the carrier.  Would that even help in a dispute?

5) Why are people so dishonest?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Have you really been paid?

Did you login into paypal through a link in the ebay message stating "you've Been paid, now ship" and check your balance?

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@tev4all wrote:

Have you really been paid?

Did you login into paypal through a link in the ebay message stating "you've Been paid, now ship" and check your balance?

I hope you didn't use any links provide in the email, as you now have probably more problems than a "scam" buyer.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Is it possible that someone else in her house bought it using her ID and she just didn't know about it? 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

The first thing you need to do is verify if you have the funds in your PayPal. Do not click on any links in email but log in directly. 

Since the account holder claimed they did not purchase the item, i would not mail it. It could be a hijacked account. It is perplexing they have not followed up to report. I would call them again and ask if they would like you to cancel the transaction, which is what you need to do. That reverses the payment and gets your final value fees back. (Cell phones are a high scam item. Sell it locally for cash in hand.) When you cancel the transaction, be sure to do so with the reason Buyer Requested. This prevents you receiving a defect on your account.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@fashunu4eeuh wrote:
When you cancel the transaction, be sure to do so with the reason Buyer Requested. This prevents you receiving a defect on your account.

The buyer hasn't requested to cancel the order.

Have a safe Memorial Day weekend.
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

1.  You ship when you are told to ship by Ebay and Paypal.

2.  They can receive your item and claim it is not as described and send you back a brick and get their money back.

3.  If you didn't list that you were sending item with signature confirmation in your description, buyer doesn't know that is what you are doing.  Btw, you should list that in your description as it can really irritate a buyer if they don't know this in advance.

4.  Recording yourself is not going to help, and buyers are not required to provide pictures.

5.  Why is the sky blue?  Like this question, it is just the way it is.

As a new seller, it is always advisable to start with lower priced items first until you learn the ropes, and to read this Board and also Ebay policies regarding selling, the Buyer Protection policies, and proper procedures, such as never shipping until you receive the ok to ship, and checking your Paypal history to be sure you actually were paid and did not fall for a phony you've got money or you're been paid message.  There are those who seek out new sellers in hopes they make a mistake that will be to their advantage.  

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

5.  Why are people dishonest?

They do it for personal gain due to lack of a conscience, scruples, or honor.

No ethics.  Lack of character.  Society in general has become lax and self centered, lacking values and reverence for God.  They don't care that they are hurting someone else.

That is not to say that everyone is like that, but some are, sadly.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Seller Protection means that if there is an item not received claim, and you have proof of delivery via tracking, you can enter the tracking into the case and you are covered.

Buyer with no feedback is a new buyer; everyone started with zero feedback, even you.  

Keep all communication ON ebay; you have no proof of anything otherwise.  Only cancel if you have a message from the buyer attesting to this.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Hi @kensgiftshop

If you read my post i wrote this:

“....I would call them again and ask if they would like you to cancel the transaction, which is what you need to do....When you cancel the transaction, be sure to do so with the reason Buyer Requested...”

I am not advising them to lie but to get the account holder’s permission.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Just want to add that the buyer needs to request this through messaging so the seller has proof of this.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply