cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same zip code RETURN scam

New eBay buyer purchased an Intel 8th Gen i7-8700 processor for $323.99 from my eBay store on Mar 31, 2018. Shipped to his confirmed PayPal/eBay address.

A couple hours after delivery, the buyer opened a “Defective/Not working” return request stating that the product is faulty which was a surprise since an Intel CPU is the less likely component to fail in a computer. Nonetheless, I tried to look at this objectively and tried communicating with the buyer couple of times in the return request, no reply from the buyer. I accepted the return and I provided a free prepaid label to the buyer thinking that it will solve all the issues.

On the very last day to return the CPU, the buyer uploaded an invalid tracking # from Hong Kong to the return request. He did not use my prepaid return label.  I called eBay stating that the buyer shipped the product to a different address after delivery and that he voided his Buyer’s Protection in doing so. The CS agreed with me and closed the case in my favor and released the funds. To my surprise, couple of days later, the buyer contacted eBay to dispute the decision and got his money back by providing another tracking number showing delivery.

I was so surprised because I didn’t get any package from Hong Kong. So, I gave USPS a call regarding this package. The USPS CS rep asked for my name/address and was able to quickly find out where the package was delivered to. The package was addressed a Pizza store 26 streets away from my home with the same zip code. I quickly went to the Pizza store asking if they got any package from Hong Kong. I found out the tracking number is correct, but the address and recipient are wrong.

At this point, I knew I am being scammed by this buyer. I am currently filling all the reports I can to bring some light to this scammer and fight for my money. I just checked this buyer account and found out he purchased a similar CPU from another seller the very same day he got his refund back, which I believe will end up like me since this is not a legitimate buyer, but scammer.

Any input/help will be appreacited greatly. Thanks

Message 1 of 192
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Yes, I was surprised too that they refunded the buyer when they knew he reshipped the product to HK after delivery to U.S Address. The first CS decision was adequate and adhered to eBay's policies to not refund the fraudulent buyer as he voided his Buyer's protection by reshipping. Someone in the eBay CS department did not follow eBay's policies and made all this mess happen.

Thought, I have GOOD NEWS. I was finally able to work things out with eBay and they refunded me full after reversing their decision. Despite the fact that I got this dispute resolved in my favor. It just sits bad with me as the fraudulent buyer somehow actually is a winner since he got to keep my i7-8700 CPU for free in the end.

What I learned through this ordeal of making many if not multiple calls to eBay, USPS, Postal Service Inspector and 4 trips to different police precincts to make a police report is that I would rather get hit with a negative feedback than dealing with scammers such as this one again. As the amount of work required to defend yourself is astronomical as eBay CS's prefers to believe a 0 feedback buyer rather than a old eBay seller with 100% feedback. It hurts to see that our hard earned feedback as sellers means nothing to eBay when a conflict arises. Don't judge me wrong, I know there are good buyers with 0 feedback and are authentic to the eBay community. But for expensive items, i would rather not take such risks.

I do not understand why eBay needs a police report when this is a civil case. In some places, like in small towns, the police might be able to help you file a police report. However, in big cities such as NYC...the NYPD do NOT file police reports for eBay to use. I went to several police precincts in NYC( Lower Manhattan, Midtown Manhattan, Brooklyn and Downtown) just to get rejected as they don't deal with Civil Cases. Luckily the last eBay CS I spoke with, said if I cannot file a police report, call eBay back when I am in the Police Station and let them talk with a police officer to clarify that the NYPD will not file a police report for such cases such as mine.

As other had stated, if you believe you are right/got scammed and you want to get your funds back... Collect all documents and evidences that can support your claims and get the resolution you wanted with eBay, keep and keep trying. Thanks all those who gave me great tips and advice!!!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 157 of 192
latest reply
191 REPLIES 191

Something is not making sense.

Does the buyer live in Hong Kong?

Then how could you even send a return label as you can only send them within the US.

Message 2 of 192
latest reply

probably used a reshipper (which SHOULD have voided their MBG) and the return label was for return from that address.

OP, if so, I'd call eBay and appeal.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 3 of 192
latest reply

Yes, but I thought with a reshipper once it leaves there that is it.  Since he sent it from Hong Kong, then obviously it was forwarded.

So how did the buyer gets his money back from ebay?

That is what I meant by it does not make sense.

Message 4 of 192
latest reply

It does to eBay apparently. It's totally WRONG which is why the OP needs to open an appeal.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 5 of 192
latest reply

Yes, he used a reshipper to ship to HK. In fact, I was wondering how he even tested this CPU after a couple of hours from delivery.

I called eBay, what they care is that the buyer is showing delivery of product back to me...Although in this case, it was a same-zip code scam. I even got the package back from the Pizzeria 26 streets away from my home with an unknown recipient.

I will call eBay for sure as this whole matter is too obvious and wrong. What worst, he is free buying from other sellers for the same kind of product. So Im not the only seller who will end up getting scammed this way. I will try to warm those sellers that left him feedback.
Message 6 of 192
latest reply

Based on what the OP said, do we know for sure if he used a reshipper?

And if he did, doesn't he know that once the tracking showed Hong Kong, he should have called ebay and had it closed in his favor since the buyer no longer had protection?

The best he can hope for is a courtesy refund.

But the poblem I see is a seller not knowing the rules before listing if he had in fact used a reshipper.

But if he didn't, how could he have generated a return label. 

Message 7 of 192
latest reply

OP, did you know that when a buyer uses a reshipper, once the item is forwarded then that is it.  Buyer cannot open a case on ebay for a return.

You need to call ebay and explain that to them, and hope you can get it reversed.

Message 8 of 192
latest reply

Yes, I know all the rules to eBay as I had been selling for couple of years. It seems you didn't find it in my initial post. However, I stated that I called eBay CS and told them he reshipped the product to another country and used fake tracking number from HK. The CS favored me and closed the case releasing my funds. Couple days later, the buyer contacted eBay and provided another tracking number...and guess what? He got automatic refund from eBay.

Message 9 of 192
latest reply

@stop.here.and.buy wrote:
Yes, I know all the rules to eBay as I had been selling for couple of years. It seems you didn't find it in my initial post. However, I stated that I called eBay CS and told them he reshipped the product to another country and used fake tracking number from HK. The CS favored me and closed the case releasing my funds. Couple days later, the buyer contacted eBay and provided another tracking number...and guess what? He got automatic refund from eBay.

Tracking numbers are irrelevant.  Once it went to Hong Kong, he cannot return it.  So him providing even the correct tracking number is moot.

You need to speak to a supervisor and explain that to him that the buyer lost his buyer protection once it left the reshipper.

Message 10 of 192
latest reply

I contacted eBay and told them he reshipped the product to HK, eBay didn't care. Even though I knew that by eBay Policy...once a item is reshipped after delivery, they buyer have no buyer protection. CS told me to just accept the return since if I don't accept it, they will force me to do it anyway without refunding fees and getting defect.
Message 11 of 192
latest reply

I contacted eBay and told them he reshipped the product to HK, eBay didn't care. Even though I knew that by eBay Policy...once a item is reshipped after delivery, they buyer have no buyer protection. CS told me to just accept the return since if I don't accept it, they will force me to do it anyway without refunding fees and getting defect.

Yes, I know you know the rules, but obviously the CS you spoke with dis not.

That is why when that happens you need to ask to speak to a supervisor or hang up and call again until you get a CS who does know that the item cannot be returned.  And you ask them to close it in your favor while you remain on the phone.

Message 12 of 192
latest reply

I got your point as that what I thought since I had experienced couple CS not knowing what they are doing.

The day he got refunded, I immediately called eBay and they just brushed me off by saying the product it delivered back to me already, it doesn't matter if the product was reshipped to other country.

I will be calling them with more concrete facts, like Fraud report, ic3, and picture of the empty package I got from the pizzeria 26 streets away.

Though, I filled both ic3 and Post Service Fraud report and I didn't get a case number for any of them.
Message 13 of 192
latest reply

@Anonymous

Some assistance for the OP please? Looks like another case of eBay not following their own policies to me.

Crusader Cat is watching

Message 14 of 192
latest reply

I think we need to get @Anonymous involved here maybe he can help?

Message 15 of 192
latest reply