cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales taxes on my transactions

I am totally in the dark over the new laws. Apparently, states such as Ohio, Virginia, and New York are charging my buyers sales tax. The amount is being added to the total. My question is: Am I to collect this tax and send it off to its respective state tax board? Or is that being taken care of automatically? Are the rules different for each individual state?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Ebay will be taking care of the sales tax collection for those states.
The sellers need not do anything.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I wouldn't worry about it. People are running from eBay because of the sales tax.

eBay used to be fun and you can find some good deals ,not anymore.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@jojitsusensei wrote:

I wouldn't worry about it. People are running from eBay because of the sales tax.

eBay used to be fun and you can find some good deals ,not anymore.

My "in state" sales are increasing since the internet sales tax started. Now the buyers have to pay no matter where it is coming from, so they are opting for the near by (same state) items.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

All online sites are taxed now, not just EBay. I’ve been paying sales tax on Amazon for a few months now.

There might be a small dip in online sales, people are used to not having to pay sales tax and enjoyed the savings.

But it was inevitable, and it’s everywhere, so things will go back to normal.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@ernesto1956 wrote:

I am totally in the dark over the new laws. Apparently, states such as Ohio, Virginia, and New York are charging my buyers sales tax. The amount is being added to the total. My question is: Am I to collect this tax and send it off to its respective state tax board? Or is that being taken care of automatically? Are the rules different for each individual state?

I have to say I'm a bit surprised.  Ebay has been really good about sending sellers emails and doing Announcements about sales tax collection.  Ebay started collecting sales tax for certain states in January.  As the year has gone on, more and more states have developed what are call Facilitator Laws, which require such sites like Ebay to collect and remit sales taxes to these states.

California is joining the list on October 1st. 

While you won't be responsible for collecting or remitting sales tax to those you ship to inside your state, it is highly likely you still need to report these numbers to your state when you file your state tax returns.  So make sure you research and find out what they will require of you so that you make sure you keep the proper records to facilitate that.

Good Luck.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/taxes-import-charges?id=4121

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

In most States buyers were supposed to be paying Use Tax on items they bought from out of State. So the only people who are likely running now are the tax cheats.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

In most States buyers were supposed to be paying Use Tax on items they bought from out of State. So the only people who are likely running now are the tax cheats.

Yep. As a buyer, all this does for me is make things a lot easier at tax time.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 9 of 9
latest reply