cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales tax

I've been selling a small amount for awhile. I wasn't charged sales tax on a couple of my last orders. Is there anything I can do to ensure that sales tax is charged automatically? 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Sales tax

Are you a buyer or a seller?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Sales tax

Sales tax is charged automatically by Ebay,then distributed to the proper state. If your buyers werent charged the tax, maybe they are in a tax free state.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Sales tax

@bonjourami wrote:

Sales tax is charged automatically by Ebay,then distributed to the proper state. If your buyers werent charged the tax, maybe they are in a tax free state.

Or maybe they are resellers who have an exemption on file with eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/paying-items/paying-tax-ebay-purchases?id=4771#section2

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Sales tax

Sales tax is based on the location of the buyer, not the seller.  

Some states have no sales tax; others exempt specific categories, such as food or clothing; and some sellers are exempt from sales tax because they have a reseller's license on file with eBay.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Sales tax

Sellers are not charged state sales tax.  Buyers are charged state sales tax based on the delivery location of their purchases.

eBay, however, does include the state sales tax paid by the buyer when calculating the final value fee for the seller.  The final value fee on eBay is calculated based on the item price, the shipping fee and the state sales tax, if applicable.  

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Sales tax

@vics54 

Buyers are charged sales tax. 

Message 7 of 7
latest reply