cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales are way down following vacation + store subscription upgrade

I put my store on vacation mode and disabled purchasing last week for 4 days (mon-thurs).

I got home on Friday, and the next few days sales were fairly normal.  I reached the limits of my basic $20/month store subscription, so I upgraded to the $60, 1000-listing subscription.

Since then, it seems like my sales have tanked.  Yesterday I think I had 2 sales.

Anyone know of issues following either vacation or subscription upgrade?  Is it maybe that the search algorithm is heavily weighted toward "sales momentum" and when that stopped for me (due to vacation) I moved to the bottom of the stack?  Even if that is the case it feels like my sales are excessively low the past few days.  Maybe something reset internally when my subscription changed so that even though my listing sales history appears unchanged, the system is ignoring it? 

Thanks

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Since then

the "past few days" may not be an indication of anything......... sales will fluctuate...........  You only have 260+ items in the store, so are not yet using the 1000 listings available.......or reaping any additional sales from the added possible exposure.........since you don't have the majority of the extra listings listed. 

There was thought at one time that using the vacation (totally hide the listings and then "unhide" them) gave them a "newly listed" bump.........

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I didn't realize it was possible to hide the listings, I'll probably try that next time to see how it goes
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I do not know of any issues with putting your store on vacation or upgrading your store.  Neither of those events trigger any algorithm changes.  When you return from vacation and start up your listings again there is a delay for the search engine to reindex your listings and that can last from a couple hours to a couple days, but you said some sales have coime in so it is safe to assume you are all reindexed.

I will let you know that your pictures are full of eBay picture policy violations though (click Link), although I( am sure you usded these pictures before your vacation so chances are this is not your main issue, I would still consider changing them to comply with the eaby policy.  eBay has said within the last year they will start demoting listing with picture violations.

Not allowed

Not allowed

• Including photos that don't accurately represent the item for sale.

• Placeholder images used to convey messages, such as no image available, stock availability, or other marketing messages

• Stock photos for used, damaged or defective items

• Adding borders to your photos

• Using a picture that is less than 500 pixels on the longest side

• Adding additional text, artwork or other marketing materials to photos

• Watermarks used for marketing

• Watermarks that obscure or interfere with the item in the photo. We suggest that watermarks be smaller than 5% of your listing, and less transparent than 50%

• Watermarks that contain specific information about your product or service

It is possible since you stopped your listing and then restarted then, during the reindexing they found this or other violations and have demoted your listing because of them?

Good Luck Selling!

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for the reply. I had considered that my pictures may have something to do with it as well, but I figured that since I've been using these images for a while (and sales have been good), and since pretty all of my competitors use similar (in that they include test/ free shipping logo) images, that couldn't be my problem.

I had not considered the possibility that turning off vacation mode triggered some sort of reevaluation of my listings that hadn't previously been applied to my (or my compentitors') listings.

I really hate to get rid of the "extra" stuff on my main images though, I think it adds valuable info and it definitely seemed to help bump up my sales when I started adding it just a few months ago...
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I understand completely.  Yes when your listing is reindexed it goes through all the same re-evaulation that a new listing goes through.  If you have a GTC listing and it renews it does not go through this process as nothing has changed.

Just something to keep in mind and you will have to consider all angles of this but external search engine will not include your listing in search results if they have the extra info added like your picture do.  So for example  google shopping and any other paid inclusion search engine do not like this kind of info showing and they also demote all your listing when they see a repeat pattern.

Another point is that eBay will not use your listings in promotions as well if they are not compliant.  There are real reason to comply with the venue policies and sooner or later your listing and your competitors listing will have to go through the painful process of being ended by eBay or demoted for the violations.  You can not just do this forever, they will eventually catch up to you.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@initeq wrote:

I put my store on vacation mode and disabled purchasing last week for 4 days (mon-thurs).

I got home on Friday, and the next few days sales were fairly normal.  I reached the limits of my basic $20/month store subscription, so I upgraded to the $60, 1000-listing subscription.

Since then, it seems like my sales have tanked.  Yesterday I think I had 2 sales.

Anyone know of issues following either vacation or subscription upgrade?  Is it maybe that the search algorithm is heavily weighted toward "sales momentum" and when that stopped for me (due to vacation) I moved to the bottom of the stack?  Even if that is the case it feels like my sales are excessively low the past few days.  Maybe something reset internally when my subscription changed so that even though my listing sales history appears unchanged, the system is ignoring it? 

Thanks

When my husband and I go on holiday, I turn on the vacation mode, but I don't hide my listings. I just change the handling time to the duration of the vacation. Works every time and I come home to sales. slight_smile

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Thank you. I really have nothing to lose if my sales stay like they are now. I'll slowly work through my listings and remove the pictures with text and see what happens.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I think this is the approach I will take next time. Live and learn.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply