cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales Totals Way Off ~ Even AZ Platform Down

November finished decent - down from 2021, but decent sales totals, number of overall orders down.

10 days into December - sales totals are way off/down.  Same with AZ - usually on fire 🔥 there, but not this year - AZ hogging the buy-box, even when they have none in stock (place holding).  Bad when AZ drops off a cliff.......

Anyone else?  Hoping the last minute shoppers have just been holding out due to "cash crunch syndrome", but surmise this is it.....many with no extra monies to spend.

Dreading return-season (Jan) already!!

merry-christmas-images-and-xmas-pictures-1024x640.jpg

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Sales Totals Way Off ~ Even AZ Platform Down

Selling is getting harder. And it's going to get worse. We are coming out of a time of the free flow of money and spending without the sense. I mean, easy money was flowing. People had excess money every week they were blowing on stuff. 

It dried up.  No more easy money flowing from all wallets. 

I just watched a podcast with someone in the guitar industry. This same subject came up, speaking of guitar makers. The days are now over of producing a expensive (or cheap) guitar and just selling "junkers". Service and value for the money are going to be deciders people use going forward, spending money. People are already converting to this mindset. They want value for the money, they demand something "incredible" for their cash. People have backed off of buying, just for the sake of buying. They are spending way more on energy, groceries, and housing.  Spending habits are going to continue to change. 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@farmalljr wrote:

Selling is getting harder. And it's going to get worse. We are coming out of a time of the free flow of money and spending without the sense. I mean, easy money was flowing. People had excess money every week they were blowing on stuff. 

It dried up.  No more easy money flowing from all wallets. 

I just watched a podcast with someone in the guitar industry. This same subject came up, speaking of guitar makers. The days are now over of producing a expensive (or cheap) guitar and just selling "junkers". Service and value for the money are going to be deciders people use going forward, spending money. People are already converting to this mindset. They want value for the money, they demand something "incredible" for their cash. People have backed off of buying, just for the sake of buying. They are spending way more on energy, groceries, and housing.  Spending habits are going to continue to change. 

Excellent insight....

Sold a 70's Martin guitar recently locally.  Typically would bring upwards $6k.  Only got $4200 for it.

Folks are holding onto money (so are we)  - worries me that AZ sales are way down.  Not just e-Bay hurting.......

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Its very evident that sales are down this year. Considering its the Christmas rush, I don't see multiple AZ trucks at all hours in my area, the AZ workers look relatively relaxed comparted to previous years. Even the USPS, UPS, & FedEx drives aren't around delivering at all hours & their personnel look equally as relaxed & trucks not stuffed to the brim. My USPS center seems very quiet & the USPS distribution center has also looked normal. Nothing crazy like in previous years. The buyers are simply watching their finances right now & they have many justifiable resons just to cut back in their spending.

No matter what sales you get, be thankful!!

Hang in there!!!

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

AZ members are finally realizing that paying that annual fee for the self-gratification quick delivery is no longer in their financial budget. They will shop in person or on other sites. 

When corporations are trying to play the short supply / demand game and raising prices, people need to adjust. 

The comment about easy money flowing is about the money that was tossed out to everyone during the shutdown without solid verification. Corporations, businesses, and individuals took advantage.  Many scammed for the money. I wonder how many of the big guys / corporations are really being investigated. 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@714ricki wrote:

Its very evident that sales are down this year. Considering its the Christmas rush, I don't see multiple AZ trucks at all hours in my area, the AZ workers look relatively relaxed comparted to previous years. Even the USPS, UPS, & FedEx drives aren't around delivering at all hours & their personnel look equally as relaxed & trucks not stuffed to the brim. My USPS center seems very quiet & the USPS distribution center has also looked normal. Nothing crazy like in previous years. The buyers are simply watching their finances right now & they have many justifiable resons just to cut back in their spending.

No matter what sales you get, be thankful!!

Hang in there!!!

Yes - excellent advice.  Be thankful for what little is coming each Seller's way.  @714ricki 

Posting ID Only.......
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@katzrul15 wrote:

Excellent insight....

Sold a 70's Martin guitar recently locally.  Typically would bring upwards $6k.  Only got $4200 for it.

Folks are holding onto money (so are we)  - worries me that AZ sales are way down.  Not just e-Bay hurting.......

People just don't have excess money anymore, unless they are already wealthy. Even though AZ's sales are down, overall I bet they are doing as well as they were, taking marketshare into account. However, people are just spending less. They are buying less "feel good" stuff, and buying more wisely. 

What's really gonna make a mess, is when people tap out the credit cards and can't pay the mortgage. Car markets are about to tumble too. People can't afford 30-50k used cars.  It's past time for full time sellers to have pivoted to selling what will sell when people only have the money for necessities. If sellers want to keep selling, they are going to have to offer incredible deals, sad to say. Over the next two years, I am betting a lot of resellers go under. Over the next 12-24 months, it's going to get ugly. 

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@farmalljr wrote:

@katzrul15 wrote:

Excellent insight....

People just don't have excess money anymore, unless they are already wealthy. Even though AZ's sales are down, overall I bet they are doing as well as they were, taking marketshare into account. However, people are just spending less. They are buying less "feel good" stuff, and buying more wisely. 

What's really gonna make a mess, is when people tap out the credit cards and can't pay the mortgage. Car markets are about to tumble too. People can't afford 30-50k used cars.  It's past time for full time sellers to have pivoted to selling what will sell when people only have the money for necessities. If sellers want to keep selling, they are going to have to offer incredible deals, sad to say. Over the next two years, I am betting a lot of resellers go under. Over the next 12-24 months, it's going to get ugly. 

We have held off on more inventory, just for this very reason.

We have sold on AZ for 17 years - 12 of those FBA and last 2 FBA exclusive.

Our sales are down 48% this quarter, compared to 2021 and we sell Toys - Legos and Action Figures and Barbies, etc etc.....Usually sold out of many items by now. 

Kinda scary how much stock we have left with 10 days to go.....

Posting ID Only.......
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Things have been in a decline for awhile especially with ecommerce and the post pandemic normalization. Wall Street had predicted this not too long after the pandemic ecommerce surge. While my ecommerce sales have been off a bit my local sales/venues are holding pretty steady and there are probably a couple of reasons for that. First I can list the items for less on the local forums since there are no, over very low, fees, the buyer does not have to pay shipping costs and worry about damage, late arrival or lost items. They can also physically inspect the items before they take possession. I can also list a LOT of things on local forums that eBay has on its prohibited items list. 

I am fortunate that I live in a large metropolitan area so I have a pretty extensive buyer base. I have also noticed that the malls and retail stores in my are have been consistently busy since mid November but that has slowed in the last week I am assuming since a lot of people have completed their shopping. 

However, as others mentioned the inflation and uncertain economic situation have people in a state of caution and more concerned about basic needs as opposed to wants. The following link shows increases in 2022 for a lot of basic needs. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/10/heres-the-inflation-breakdown-for-october-2022-in-one-chart.html 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt 

Thank you for that link.

We have done well locally this last month also.  Cash is good. 

🎅🎄🌟🦌

Posting ID Only.......
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@katzrul15 wrote:

We have held off on more inventory, just for this very reason.

We have sold on AZ for 17 years - 12 of those FBA and last 2 FBA exclusive.

Our sales are down 48% this quarter, compared to 2021 and we sell Toys - Legos and Action Figures and Barbies, etc etc.....Usually sold out of many items by now. 

Kinda scary how much stock we have left with 10 days to go.....

I get it.  My plan for now is being very selective what inventory I am investing in. I'm also deciding which inventory to liquidate. At this point, I think there are some things I sell, I'm going to get out of. I have few toys, but I am going to sell off that stuff, as that's one category I am no longer going to mess with. 

I'm still buying LP's, and some paper (if the deal is right). But I have more plans of getting rid of inventory at this point, then I do buying more. Time to narrow what I sell, and pick things that are a little more "recession" proof.  There are some things people will still spend money on when things get tight. For example, people still ate out and partied at the bars/home. People will still be buying in a tight economy, but the price points will be different. 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply