cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales Tax collected by Ebay for 2019

I am a small time seller, selling items I own, not purchased for resale.  I have tried to research what my responsiblity is for sales tax Ebay has collected on some of my sales.  Is Ebay actually reporting to each State for tax collected or am I responsible for reporting/remitting the tax? 

I did go to Paypal and print each sales, which showed sales tax for my records, which took awhile, even though my sales are under $5K.  When did Ebay actually begin to collect sales tax?  If they are collecting and not reporting, surely, they will include in the monthly sales report.  Thanks everyone for the help! 🙂

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: Sales Tax collected by Ebay for 2019

They did the opposite on my sale. They deducted the buyers sales tax from my PayPal account!
Message 31 of 35
latest reply

I have been discussing the additional fee that paypal has been collecting to process the sales tax being collected by Ebay, with paypal. Today I ran into another problem with the sales tax issue. Ebay is over charging for sales tax on the invoice being sent to a customer. Today, a buyer made a request for an invoice to combine his shipping charges. When I attempted to send this buyer an invoice I noticed that the sales tax listed on the invoice was more than 2 times the amount that his state collects for sales tax. His purchase was $94.81, shipping was $15.80 which totals $110.60. Ebay says sales tax for Georgia is 7%. When I look at the order summary I see the sales tax is listed at $17.21. The 7% sales tax = $7.74, not $17.21. A difference of $9.47. Who is making an additional $9.47 for over charging sales tax illegally????

Message 32 of 35
latest reply

I’m a buyer....
Ebay charges me MORE than they are reporting to you.
If I buy something that costs $99 plus $7.50 shipping, ebay charges ME $12.78.
If the shipping were included no the price of the item, so the item price is $106.50 , ebay would have tacked on $9.59 to the total sale.
My state charges 6% sales tax.
Not 9%, or 12%, and there is no tax on shipping. Where is that extra 3-6% going?
Message 33 of 35
latest reply

They are charging me, the buyer, closer to 12% on every item. If the shipping is included in the price, they only charge 9%.
Message 34 of 35
latest reply

As a buyer, I have made this request often since January...some sellers have no idea what I mean when I tell them that if the item is selling for $20, and the shipping is $7.50, ebay is adding on a charge of $3.30. If the item sells for $27.50, shipping included, ebay tacks on a charge of $2.48.
Since my state sales tax is 6%, and not charged on shipping or any delivery fee (it’s a service), who’s getting the extra 3-6%?
Message 35 of 35
latest reply