cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales Tax collected, New Jersey?

Sold an item to New Jersey and eBay tells me they collected sales tax on it.   Is NJ now requiring sales tax on out of state purchases? 

Is eBay collecting and remitting it, or do I have to find where this money is and pay them?  Where the money is exactly I'm not sure, the total on eBay is different (higher) from what I got through PayPal, so presumably eBay has the remainder someplace.  

I thought these states when requiring this had a dollar threshold for me as seller to have to reach before I was required to collect and remit to them.   It's not likely at my sales level I would meet even a $1000 threshold for any one state in a year.  

My opinion is it's crazy to expect me to keep track now not only in my state by county of buyer, but also for potentially up to 40, 45 other states and be expected to pay maybe two bucks here, four bucks there, 28 cents to the next one, etc.  But that's probably a different topic entirely. 

Message 1 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

@jomee_5479 wrote:
Me, too! Soooooo done with Ebay!! 95% of my Ebay purchases are clothing items. I've seriously had it up to here with all of Ebay and their practices. I, too, am in NJ. Is Ebay sending all this tax money on "non taxable" items to NJ? NJ is going to get a huge surplus of funds because I, for one, am not going to bother claiming a credit on any purchases on my income tax return. It is just not worth it. So annoying!! As if NJ doesn't tax us enough as it is, Ebay is now sending them a surplus! Ebay should be able to differentiate between what gets taxed and what doesn't. EVERY other online retailer can do it. SMH

Since NJ is now taxing, you won't be responsible for paying use tax anymore, so you won't have to fill out that part of the tax form.  I would imagine on future forms that section would be removed.

And yes, Ebay really is sending that tax money to the appropriate state.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 46 of 49
latest reply

Check the first category, Ebay bases its sales tax exempt on that. If the item is listed in a non clothing rooted category like sporting goods or collectibles, they will charge sales tax. Apparently you can claim it back on your taxes?

Message 47 of 49
latest reply

okay so why are we paying paypal fee's on the tax money, this is not fair to us, is this even legal

Message 48 of 49
latest reply

@tidbits4u2 wrote:

okay so why are we paying paypal fee's on the tax money, this is not fair to us, is this even legal

Every money processor [such as PP] charges their fee on the total amount received.  This isn't new.  What is new is that the sales tax is now running through in one payment for buyers which makes it much easier for them and slightly more expensive for us.

That will increase sellers PP fees by about 29 cents per $10.00 in sales tax.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 49 of 49
latest reply