cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales Tax? Wasn't in my create a listing last week

Went to add some new listings today and my create a listing page has updated since last week (sold my first item last week as well) and there's now options for a sales tax.

On the old create a listing view there was no option for me to put anything in about Sales Taxes. When I go to revise my old listings that I made last week none of them have the sales tax option checked, it's just blank. Checked my sales from last week on Paypal and the buyer was charged sales tax.

Why is this an option in my create a listing and do I just leave it blank and ebay will keep automatically charging for sales tax?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

There are still a few states that do not have online sales collect and remit sales tax

I see that option as well but since eBay collects and remits the sales tax for me in not only my stae of CA (nexus) but many others I leave it blank

Jus keep good sales records and you should be fine 

If you are feeling uneasy about it then contact a CPA for financial business advise 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Not sure what rules are for Sales Tax in Canada (you are on USA Seller Hub).

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@machomantis wrote:

Went to add some new listings today and my create a listing page has updated since last week (sold my first item last week as well) and there's now options for a sales tax.

On the old create a listing view there was no option for me to put anything in about Sales Taxes. When I go to revise my old listings that I made last week none of them have the sales tax option checked, it's just blank. Checked my sales from last week on Paypal and the buyer was charged sales tax.

Why is this an option in my create a listing and do I just leave it blank and ebay will keep automatically charging for sales tax?

More than likely the reason that the Sales Tax window is still there is because there are sellers who reside in the states of Florida and Missouri that are still obligated to collect sales tax for all of their in state sales.

eBay does not currently collect sales tax for the states of Florida and Missouri because those are the last 2 states that have a state sales tax but do not yet have a Marketplace Facilitator Law on the books. But that will more than likely be changing sometime later this year, as both states currently have bills that are in process within their state legislatures.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply