cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales Tax Report For Tax eBay Has Collected?

eBay just started collecting the tax in my state where I used to collect it.  Where can I go to find out the tax eBay has collected.  Any report I can look at?  Thank you!

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Sales Tax Report For Tax eBay Has Collected?

You don't need to know the tax ebay collects and remits on behalf of your sales, that's ebay's responsibility and their problem, not yours. You're only required to keep track of the taxes you collected yourself.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

you can download the info
Seller Hub > Orders Tab > All Orders 
Select the sale you want to know (or click them all) > Select More Tab on the Top > Select "Download Selected" 

The info may not be on all your orders, ebay just started this I haven't downloaded all but some past week or so the sale tax ebay collected is on there

Another way to see what was collected: Go to All Orders > Select the order you want to see > Select "Contact Buyer" from drop down > top of message will show the total the buyer paid subtract that from your sale price and that is the tax collected.

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@gamersbaystore wrote:

You don't need to know the tax ebay collects and remits on behalf of your sales, that's ebay's responsibility and their problem, not yours. You're only required to keep track of the taxes you collected yourself.

Yes you do, you need the info for when you get your 1099's from ebay / Paypal, the tax will need to be deducted from the gross amount.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Not true, I have a State Sales Tax permit active and need the reports as proof that eBay is collecting the taxes on my behalf.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Thank you !

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

...also the download report is in Excel format, so you may need Excel to view it... not sure I have Excel so it's no issue for me if you don't have it maybe free viewer version you can download (like Acrobat has for viewing PDF files). Heads up, there is a ton of info in the download report, the tax info is to the farther right of the document.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Yes, awesome!  I do have Excel and I think I had downloaded some other report but it was very vague as it did not even list the state or much info.  This report is very thorough and just what I needed, however, it only goes back 90 days, wish it would go back much further.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@lapulgaproducts wrote:

Yes, awesome!  I do have Excel and I think I had downloaded some other report but it was very vague as it did not even list the state or much info.  This report is very thorough and just what I needed, however, it only goes back 90 days, wish it would go back much further.

yes, ebay has for as long I've been here anyways, only goes back 90 days, however, I save all email receipts of sales/ebay fees/shipping and I print hard copies for my records... then I go paypal and I print record from there (so I can get the paypal fees) ... so going back past 90 days, if you didn't save all your sales emails, you can find the info through paypal and downlaod their reports... though you need to request it and wait a day or so, they will email I believe when it's ready for download.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

@gamersbaystore wrote:

Yes you do, you need the info for when you get your 1099's from ebay / Paypal, the tax will need to be deducted from the gross amount.

(I am replying to all, not the OP. Just using htis post as the context)

PayPal includes the sales tax collected in the fee calculation, before it is handed back to ebay to be remitted to the state. 

If a buyer pays $10 for an item through PayPal, as the seller I will be charged about $3 in PayPal fees and $10 will be distributed back to eBay to be remitted as sales tax.

Does the PayPal activity report show the seller receiving $90, or $100?  

Will the PayPal 1099K report show the seller receiving $90, or $100?  

I've just downloaded a PayPal activity report for the last month with every possible field included, and I do not see any mention of a sales tax amount. 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@nuclearomen wrote:

@gamersbaystore wrote:

PayPal includes the sales tax collected in the fee calculation, before it is handed back to ebay to be remitted to the state. 

If a buyer pays $10 for an item through PayPal, as the seller I will be charged about $3 in PayPal fees and $10 will be distributed back to eBay to be remitted as sales tax.

I've just downloaded a PayPal activity report for the last month with every possible field included, and I do not see any mention of a sales tax amount. 

i have some that do have the info and most that don't..not sure why, but the other day I was on phone with paypal for awhile as I had to supply info for 1099 as I have gone over the threshold and they need SSN or TIFN or your paypal will be frozen... so I called cause I had tax info questions also... they told me, the info will not be seen because it's the buyer who see's the info not the seller as buyer pays it... but seems hard to get exact answers from either ebay or paypal... 1099 will list your gross, but in order for accuracy of what you made, if that gross contains the tax collected then it will need to be deducted (along with everything else) to show what you actually made. So as no tax expert I say the same to everyone... keep meticulous records and be prepared   

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@nuclearomen wrote:

@gamersbaystore wrote:

@luckythewinner  - My understanding is that what you are talking about will be starting in November.

Previously, for sales where eBay collected the tax under Marketplace Facilitator laws, the buyer saw two separate charges - one payment to the seller and another payment of just the tax amount that went to eBay.  In that scenario, the seller never received the tax amount, so it would not be reported in either the 1099 from PayPal or any reports available to the seller through PayPal.

Apparently, according to eBay and PayPal, buyers complained about the separate transactions and it was causing confusion.  So eBay and PayPal recently announced that starting in November, the entire amount including tax will be charged in one transactions which will be processed through PayPal to the seller.  The tax amount will then be deducted from the seller's account and sent to eBay to remit to the states.

Once that change takes affect, it appears that PayPal fees will be charged on the total amount, including sales tax, and at that point you can expect to see those amounts reflected in PayPal reports and 1099s.

You will need to figure out for your own specific business (possibly with the guidance of an accounting/tax professional) the best way to account for the taxes and fees on those tax amounts when it comes time to file your income taxes.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@gamersbaystore wrote:

@gamersbaystore 

For some states that may be true, but for others it is not.  It depends on the reporting requirements for any given state.  So it is in each seller's best interest to check for the reporting requirements in your state.

For me, my state requires that I report ALL my retail sales [sales subject to sales tax] without exception.  Then we are to take a deduction for the taxes that facilitators such and Ebay, Etsy and Amazon collect and remit.  Leaving a balance that we owe sales tax on.  That total may be zero, but it still has to be reported.

So be careful in what you tell others unless you know what you said to be correct for their state as it could cause them serious problems when they go to do their state report.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

You should be able to check your books and see the amount of eBay sales and calculate your gross eBay sales from there.  I would advise you to check with your state's taxing agency to see how they want you to show those sales on your return.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 14 of 14
latest reply