cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales Tax Issue

In January 2020 I sold two items to two different buyers in New York which is a rare occurrence for me.  As they were BIN's with immediate payment required, I did not send invoices.   The sales tax did not come up on the order details page after the buyers paid, only 0.00* beside the sales tax.   NY sales tax on internet purchases  appears to have gone into effect in June 2019 according to eBay sales tax guideline chart.  Why would it not be included on the buyer's invoice and show as paid?  I even checked my Paypal account to see if it showed up there but no luck there either.   I have only sold a few under $15  items this year and every other buyer paid sales tax required for their state which was shown on the order details page after they paid.  As I understand it, eBay guidelines say I don't need to do anything further as they collect the tax and pay the respective state.   Any ideas why this would happen for NY only.    Do I need to set up to collect for NY only or set up my site preferences for collection to all states and then send it to that state monthly or quarterly if it is more than $100 in sales but less than $20,000 even though I have seen sales tax on my other order details pages for other states.   I am not in managed payments.  Sales tax is buyers responsibility just like it is in retail stores.   I am not a wholesaler, retailer or high dollar seller.  There are many different rates in different counties for all states, so this has me puzzled.   It might be an eBay glitch.  Sales tax collection for internet sales in my state of  NC went into effect 2/1/20.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Sales Tax Issue

New York doesn't apply sales tax to clothing items under $110.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Sales Tax Issue

I think I might have found the issue. In checking my listings, on my first item, I clicked on "Revise Listing" then clicked on "Customize". I found the "Charge Applicable Sales Tax" box unchecked. Not certain how it became unchecked, but I think this might have been the issue. After checking one listing it appears all of them have that box checked now. I cannot check sold listings, but presume that caused it. If any folks out there have had the same issue, please let me know if this resolved it.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Sales Tax Issue

I don't think checking the box would matter if they are in one of the states that have enacted the marketplace facilitator law, both buyers might just be tax exempt.  If your a dealer and have a state resale number/ tax exemption number you can upload it to eBay and you won't be charged taxes.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Sales Tax Issue

Thank you for the update.  I didn't think about the exempt option.  Good to know.  NY is probably the perfect place for people to exempt themselves from sales tax.    I am not a dealer, wholesaler, or retailer so I wouldn't use that option.  Just a very small time seller trying to clear out a few closets before we move.  It is going to be time to donate soon.  I don't want to haul extra boxes that I don't need.  You must be a night owl like me.    

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Sales Tax Issue

Unfortunately having a hard time falling asleep tonight....

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Sales Tax Issue

if use banks account tax automatically detect so than we can not face any problem about that.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Sales Tax Issue

New York doesn't apply sales tax to clothing items under $110.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Sales Tax Issue

Thank you. That explains it all. They were preowned clothing items.
Message 8 of 8
latest reply