Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SELLING

WHATS WRONG WITH EBAYS SELLING PLATFORM. MY STORE OF ALMOST 10 YEARS IS DEAD, 

Message 1 of 66
latest reply
65 REPLIES 65

SELLING

I looked at a few of your items for sale. And then I looked at other seller's same item for sale on your platform.

It might be because some of your items are overpriced. If you want items to sell...you have to lower what other sellers are charging. When a buyer starts looking at an item and sees something less expensive below your item on the same page...buyer might not even want to keep looking at your items.

And since you sell similar items...you want that "repeat buyers" base. These "repeat buyers" will be your "bread and butter" during slow period of time. Just my own thoughts.

Message 2 of 66
latest reply

SELLING

Your sales are dead? When sellers come here complaining about dead sales, yet eBay is selling billions a year, what does that tell you? It's probably a problem with you the seller. Could be what you sell, could be your prices, could be your customer service. You need to figure it out, if you want sales. 

Complaining here that your sales suck is not going to magically bring you buyers. You need to change something. 

Message 3 of 66
latest reply

SELLING

In addition to James reply, Christmas is over, CC bills will be due this month early next and not sure if this applies to the US, but here down under hundreds of BM stores selling discounted seasonal stocks, February in particular is always a shocking month here for retail.

Also do you have tax/IRS?? around this time??

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 4 of 66
latest reply

SELLING

Are you sure?

You sold 7items in October/ 7 items in November/11 items in December/ and 3 so far (Jan 21) this year.

How does that compare with Oct to December 2023, 2022, and2019 ? (The pandemic surge in online buying makes 2020 and 2021 outliers).

Is the difference in the number of sales or in the value of sales?

Does January usually drop off for you or is it usually stronger than the holiday season? ( A weak December and a strong January is the norm in my collectibles field.)

I wonder if the drop from 11 in December to only 3 (so far) in January is causing the concern.

Check your records.

Best wishes.

Message 5 of 66
latest reply

SELLING

There are 26,000,000+ sports cards on this site. I had no idea.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 6 of 66
latest reply

SELLING

@francuoc0-cards-comics wrote:

WHATS WRONG WITH EBAYS SELLING PLATFORM. MY STORE OF ALMOST 10 YEARS IS DEAD, 

Your prices are bad, incredibly terribly bad like you just guessed them all with no research and guessed extremely high every time. Except that couldn't really be it as everything in your store I checked and I checked dozens of items was priced between 700 percent and 1000 percent of the market price. 

Your store seems to be loaded with bulk cards with incredible prices on them. You have cards with $10 and $15 price tags that are quarter box cards at the card store and often 99 cents shipped on ebay.

Example. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/116043337815?hash=item1b04b8d057:g:G7wAAOSwlxNlJBvP

You have 15.95 plus ship on this card. This card is a quarter box promo and can be purchased for $1.52 shipped from other sellers.

I decided to check your higher priced items, found this easy to price check magazine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115642472133?hash=item1aecd416c5:g:StQAAOSwnxxdzFfz

Your price. $39.95 plus shipping.

Your competition's price 4.95 plus shipping. Not a single copy of this magazine has sold in the last 3 months. Yours is the most expensive one on the website and doesn't even list the correct title of the magazine.

The 1989 Bowman complete set is a $10 item that most card shops have dozens of in the back. Why is your priced at $75.

Message 7 of 66
latest reply

SELLING

To add to Onefootflippers comments on your pricing of cards, I'll add these:

You're asking $650 + $15 shipping for a Barbie that you say is "rare," although it is not, which sells for $25 on a good day:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=barbie+escada+1996+15948&LH_Complete=1

You have the Angel Princess doll listed as "Angle Princess" and, again, it is way overpriced at $70 plus $15 shipping, as you can see:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=angel+princess+matell+15912&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1

You're asking $59,000 for a guitar with "READ HISTORY," presumably to justify that price, and then there is no history to read.

The prices you have on some "artwork," to be generous in using the term, are way out of line.

Plus, you have some listings that say "Find Michael Jordan" in the title and in the Item Description and Description say "Possible Michael Jordan" in a sealed pack.  I don't sell sports cards, but I know you cannot do that sort of "chance" offering in other categories so you may want to check eBay policy on that.  Even if it's okay in sports cards, it is surely off-putting to buyers..

I know all that is harsh, but remember that you asked.

-

Message 8 of 66
latest reply

SELLING

My sales are slow too.

I'm not blaming ebay.

Ebay has nothing to do with it.

Ebay doesn't decide what I sell.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 9 of 66
latest reply

SELLING

I don't believe in the notion that a high price won't sell. Many of my items are priced several times higher than my competitors', yet they still sell.
And interestingly, the listings for the same items at lower prices don't sell.

There are many reasons for poor sales, including recent severe weather conditions.
In many places, there's even a lack of electricity, which, of course, affects sales.

Broadly speaking, visibility is probably the most crucial factor. If buyers can't see your listings, they certainly can't buy your products.
Since 2021, Google has changed its advertising strategy, leading to increased advertising expenses on major online selling platforms.
eBay, in particular, has shifted these costs directly onto us sellers.
Did you do promoting listings? off site ads ?
I would say these are mandatory nowaday for eBay sellers.

Ok, let's talk about price.
For one item, if my competitor sells it for $26, and I price it at $56.
Yes, I could sell it for $26 and make $1.00 profit. But $56 gives me up to a $30 profit with only one shipping cost.
Which means my competitor would have to sell 30 orders to level my profit, and without any returns.
Which path would you be willing to take?

Worried about price competition? Well, at least for now on eBay, you don't have to worry too much.
Because if buyers are looking for cosmetics, what they'll find on eBay are car parts ..... glitch, glitch...

-

Message 10 of 66
latest reply

SELLING

@shar_27 wrote:

I don't believe in the notion that a high price won't sell. Many of my items are priced several times higher than my competitors', yet they still sell.

-

Trading cards worth 25 cents cannot sell for $15 and $20. If they could then I would be a millionaire as I have several hundred thousand of them.

Message 11 of 66
latest reply

SELLING

I don't buy the whole 'bad weather' thing. Yes, there are people without power or whatever, but that's not enough to make a difference in a platform servicing millions of people. 

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 12 of 66
latest reply

SELLING

1990 cards are only about 3 million prints per card..or more.

Message 13 of 66
latest reply

SELLING

@chapeau-noir wrote:

I don't buy the whole 'bad weather' thing. Yes, there are people without power or whatever, but that's not enough to make a difference in a platform servicing millions of people. 

I don't either. 

Had a seller a few days ago complaining about no power and not internet. Yet they are replying to messages on eBay that require both power and internet to reply to the message. 

I understand there are times when people ARE without power and internet, not saying that it is always a lie. But I am not stupid and neither are most buyers/sellers. If you don't have power, you aren't getting the message. You are not able to back and forth in messages without power or internet. 

People today lean way to much on excuses, when there really isn't a reason for it. They just don't want to take responsibility for screwing up.

Message 14 of 66
latest reply

SELLING

Mine has been dead too, something is up with Ebay...lets hope it's not the Cyber Toufan Hackers

Message 15 of 66
latest reply