cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SELLERS NEW 2022 LAW EVERYONE will most likely get a 1099

Starting on Jan 1, 2022, eBay and other marketplaces are required by the IRS to issue a Form 1099-K for all sellers who receive $600 or more in sales.  For the People who are saying it's no different you are INCORRECT, the law now will require people to 1.  track every sale  2.  determine if the sale was profitable,  3. or prove if they sold the item for less than it's purchase price, 4. or prove the item was an inheritance and the value at the time of death is the same or higher at the time of sale, 5.  track any expenses (fees, mileage to/from Post Office, receipts for Packing Supplies, internet expenses etc etc to offset the FEW items sold that might have been profitable, WHEREAS sellers didn't have to do this under $20k IF they knew that their sales were from items that were sold less than purchase price or an inheritance whose value hasn't increased since the time of death - this is a ludicrous waste of time for eBay sellers who aren't a business to have to track and report each item and expense at such a LOW threshold.  Mothers, housewives, senior citizens sell household items and things they inherited to make ends meet, they have a right to get a RETURN on these items without profiting more than the items worth and not be taxed and they still will under the new law EXCEPT NOW they have to be a junior ACCOUNTANT and create spreadsheets, calculations and reports, consult and pay an accountant for accuracy on reporting sales  to prove to the IRS that their household items and inherited items aren't selling for more than their original value and aren't taxable - MOST PEOPLE will NOT know how to itemize all the required information on a spreadsheet and won't take the time to do this so they will get charged the full 28% capital gains tax on the amount reported on their 2022 1099!!!  PEOPLE PLEASE WAKE UP and stop saying this law is NO DIFFERENT! It's just another way to stick it to low-income people or senior citizens trying to make ends meet by selling their used/unwanted items as the IRS will profit from the people who don't track all that is required!!!  BTW eBay is lobbying Congress to fight to get the limit raised to something acceptable, it used to be $20,000 and to go down to $600 to keep track of every item sold and FMV, expenses associated with each item (whether that item is profitable/taxable or NOT!) is a complete HARDSHIP on the people selling their used items.  I agree that $20,000 there were probably 'some' people not reporting 'some' items that were profitable but to drop that limit to $600 is LUDICROUS, maybe $12,000 or $10,000 makes more since but certainly NOT $600 as the housewives, mothers, fathers and the senior citizens selling their household and inherited items will LEAVE in DROVES after they get that first 1099 because NO ONE has the TIME to create a spreadsheet with calculations to report that their items made NO PROFIT and weren't taxable in the first place!!!!!  Mothers just need the extra money to feed their kids or buy them a new backpack or senior citizens to pay for food or prescriptions.  Here is ebay's link to HELP lower the threshold and I suggest ALL SELLERS get involved and Send an email to your Members of Congress! https://www.ebaymainstreet.com/campaign/2021-federal-1099-campaign 

Message 1 of 131
latest reply
130 REPLIES 130

Re: SELLERS NEW 2022 LAW EVERYONE will most likely get a 1099

That new law starts on Jan 1st 2022?

I. Did. Not. Know. That.

Thanks for the update.

Mike

Firesteel Surplus

Message 121 of 131
latest reply

Dig up those receipts for that Nintendo game your mom bought you 35 years ago that you played the heck out of and are now listing on Ebay... you do still have the receipt don't you!? Got to keep track of those expenses!

Message 122 of 131
latest reply

@donstough wrote:

Dig up those receipts for that Nintendo game your mom bought you 35 years ago that you played the heck out of and are now listing on Ebay... you do still have the receipt don't you!? Got to keep track of those expenses!

Not if you understand your own country's tax procedures you won't.

If a seller doesn't have a receipt or records to establish the cost basis of an item, they can use the Alternative method, which is an estimate of the fair market value at the time the item was acquired. This is described in IRS Publication 551: Basis of Assets

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p551.pdf

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 123 of 131
latest reply

That new law starts on Jan 1st 2022?

I. Did. Not. Know. That.

Thanks for the update.

Mike

Firesteel Surplus

When the new reporting thresholds take effect depends on what state you live in. Yes the new Federal thresholds begin in 2022 but a lot of states already have lower thresholds in place and sellers have been getting, or should have been getting, 1099's for awhile. 

Message 124 of 131
latest reply

What you're saying is that ebay, like small sellers, are a dead business going forward.

Message 125 of 131
latest reply

That is correct. In the past a seller had to sell over $20k or exceed 200 sales. With the limit lowered to $600 in total sales which would be your gross sales including shipping and fees. I have been selling primarily for my church as well as myself for 21 years. I am already at over $300 from selling just 4 items. I made no profit from selling 3 of these since they were sold for the church. The other item was something I have no idea what I paid for it years ago which is required now to figure profit. I am stopping eBay sales because I don’t want to pay federal and state income tax on my account. I will just donate my items to thrift stores and claim the deduction on my state return. I think a lot of ebayers are going to get a shock when PayPal sends them the 1099.

Message 126 of 131
latest reply

Yea, it's **bleep**.  What if you've literally had an item in your attic for 30 years ?  (yes, I just sold some items like that) 

Who in TF  keeps a receipt for an item for 30 years, or even if they did, then you have to go find it?

They'll just have to take my word for it is all I can say.

If they don't take my word for it, then I'll stop any and all selling on this site.

This is probably going to cause the SLOW END of Ebay.

Message 127 of 131
latest reply

I have stopped all sales on eBay due to the irs ruling. I have been selling primarily for my church donated items. I am not willing to pay income tax on my small sales since I give proceeds to the church. After paying eBay fees and income tax there won’t be much left and not worth the hassle. USPS now requires me to schedule a package pickup even though I have paid the postage and the package will fit in my mailbox—just another aggravation. As I posted earlier I had over $300 from selling 4 items since it is based on total proceeds, shipping, tax etc. Ebay small sellers are going to stop listing when they get that 1099k at the end of 2022.

Message 128 of 131
latest reply

I do understand tax law and have been preparing my own return for over 50 years. 1099k is just another pain in the bottom we would have to deal with. That is why I have stopped listing. I will just donate items to charity and take the tax break for itemized deductions on my state return. 

Message 129 of 131
latest reply

1099-K is just a piece of paper to go along with the tax return you're already filing.  Absolutely nothing has changed.  I just include it with the rest of the paperwork when I pay my taxes. 

ETA: I'm a small seller.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 130 of 131
latest reply

The new law is not implemented on new citizens. It,s been the same law as it was decades ago in 1930.

All income should be reported. It does not matter what the source or amount is.

Early you get allowed to reduce deductions in taxable income. Now reportedly income is not equal to taxable income.

The only change is for those entities that issue forms 1099.

Now Govt will know about all the undeclared income.

Message 131 of 131
latest reply