cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCROUNGE LOUNGE $$ SEPTEMBER 2017 $$

The scrounge lounge originated in 2003, catering to all of us who obtain our merchandise for selling at various places such as thrift stores, yard sales, rummage sales, even dumpster diving and picking up items someone has set out along the street for garbage pickup.

Does this sound like you? Come on in and join the conversation!  WELCOME!!

Message 1 of 210
latest reply
209 REPLIES 209

I think everyone hates (LOATHES, nice word for hate lol) insurance companies, the "Necessary Evil" Katrina, what a total disaster. The Mayor Ray Nagin was a disaster too. He's got another 7 years in prison to go (although for bribes, etc)

Patd, the prayer of St Anthony, "Tony Tony Look Around, What is Lost must be FOUND"!
Can't be too far off! Since they are salts/glass I assume, you maybe wrapped them before you stuck them in a container.

I sold a little table yesterday $20 cuz he only wanted one, the one that needed the most work! It was fine structurally but have leather tops on both surfaces that need to be replaced. So glad he picked that one, actually his wife picked it and sent hm over to get it.
Message 46 of 210
latest reply

Interesting insurance comments.  We are going to have to do something about the Federal Flood Insurance.  If the federal govt quit offering the insurance on houses built in the 100 year flood plane then only people who can afford to replace the houses themselves would build them.  Would save a bunch of us tax $$$.  FFI can only be used twice so I am guessing a lot of folks are on their second claim and some of those will be up for sale when repaired.

Looks like Irma may come pretty darn close to us as a tropical storm.  We are a little NW of Atlanta.  I75 out of FL has been stop and crawl for several days.  Hotels are all booked here.  The ATL Motor Speedway has opened their grounds for campers, RV, etc and it is almost full - holds 10,000 vehicles.  Must Ministries is opening all their facilities for evacuees and I suspect they'll have to open Philips Arena, too.

BTW, those little salts are still hiding somewhere in clear sight here!!!  Finally told the buyer and she asked me to cancel which I did at her request.  She still wants them when they decide to come out of hiding...grrrrr!

Hope everyone has a great scrounging weekend.  Patd 

Message 47 of 210
latest reply

Kay, happy scrounging at those city wide sales.  Let us know if you find any treasures!

Laurie

My broom brakes for all thrift stores.
Message 48 of 210
latest reply

PatD, I surely hope you'll be safe from Irma.  Wow, sounds as if half of Florida has taken refuge in your city.    And I hope you will eventually find those salts.

Laurie

Message 49 of 210
latest reply

M*M, save all that paperwork.  Back when I had a secondhand store, I had an altercation with State of MN, who billed me for a couple of quarters of sales tax which I'd already paid.  Late, I admit, but paid.  I won the argument but a couple of years later they tried to bill me again for those two same qauarters.  And again a couple of years after that, LOL.  I sent copies of all paperwork back to them.  I'm still holding on to that paperwork just in case they try it again.

I bought a couple pounds of wild rice yesterday, at $10 per pound.  A friend of Char's lives at Big Sandy Lake, which is a  hundred miles or so from Grand Rapids.  She did the ricing herself, and the hand parching.  She's the great great great granddaughter of the first Chief Hole in the Day.  She said they are now on their 7th Chief Hole in the Day. 

Laurie

Message 50 of 210
latest reply

I am one of you too.. only problem I have is hubby has us living out in nowhere land.. so it takes skill to find anything out here. desert and tons of miles to get anywhere.. there is a miss managed thrift out here. I have grabbed a few good things that slipped by them.. I think ... just because its strange they think it has no value or use.. My hubby is finaly making half efort to set us up a booth in oct.. I am not sure how it will work as I do mostly collectable things. and the setup out there is more rocks and rusty stuff booths... I did see one GREAT booth last year.. the lady was very eccentric.. and her booth not big.. so I tried to think of why I loved it.. it was how she had layed it all put.. there were little colorful paintings here and there. trunks and boxes with a shaw on it. and little bundles of fake but colorful  wild flowers. she even handed me some. they are still on my scooter just to remind me.. I can't wait to try things I am a Gypsy heart anyway..

Message 51 of 210
latest reply

Morning All...
Wow on the state taking stabs at you every couple of YEARS, Laurie!
I don't know if I have records other than online and I have no clue where those are. I "Assume" THEY have the online records and are knowledgeable about what is what. I'm finding out that's not always the case. I wouldn't doubt if I get another of those next year but I'll be sure to call right away if so.

Cool deal on the wild rice and hand parched but I have no idea what a Chief Hole in the Day is????
Message 52 of 210
latest reply

Patd, sounds like every town South of you must be booked too, and who know how much further North! This Irma gal is really SLOW moving, eh? It's been out there for at least a week, it seems, and still not due til Sunday. Strange almost surreal.

No scrounging around here. I even went out yesterday morning to do a drive around town, found one sale, all baby/kid related stuff.
Too bad those salts didn't show up, darn it, at least the buyer said she'd still take them!

Message 53 of 210
latest reply

Hello teddi, welcome to the lounge. I had to look up your town, right on the AZ Cali border? Have you ever been to Quartzsite flea or annual rock show? I sold there a couple years and did really well with "Collectibles/tiques".. It can't be too far from you but I didn't see it on the map. I thought it was on Hwy 10...
Message 54 of 210
latest reply

I see it now, yes highway 10 back toward Phoenix from your location...great place to sell or was when I was there, and you could stay for about $8 a night. I thought I died and went to heaven, where I was set up the mgr. had set up running water right behind the lines of booth spaces. Perfect!
Message 55 of 210
latest reply

LOL, M*M.  I should have explained that the woman selling the rice is Native American.  The tribe she belongs to has a chief whose surname is Hole in the Day.  Thus, Chief Hole in the Day.

Laurie

Message 56 of 210
latest reply

LOL Laurie. I figured the woman was native but wondered if the chief name had something to do with rice specifically or a rice location lol, wasn't sure hahahaaaaaa what a crazy name...hole in the day. Wonder what a hole in the day is? Naps? LOL
Message 57 of 210
latest reply

Hi, Teddi.  what state is your "nowhere land" located in?

I hope that when your husband gets a booth set up next month in that thrift that you will do well at it.

Laurie

Message 58 of 210
latest reply

I wondered, too, M*M.  I'll have to remember to ask the next time I see her.

Laurie

Message 59 of 210
latest reply

Teddi is in AZ on the California border South of Lake Havasu.. Hot Hot Hot!
Message 60 of 210
latest reply