cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCAMS!

I’ve listed my used MacBook Pro 2013 3 TIMES!! Every single time I have received scammers trying to scam me out of my item. I finally got what seemed to be a normal person and if say they email was finally from EBay but it looks all janky and makes no sense, I also know that if a payment is properly pending with PayPal it’ll give you the ok to ship your package, I have received nothing, and another thing I keep realizing is every person that has tried to scam me uses the word “kindly”. This guy did not do that until very late in the conversation asking me to “kindly” please check my email for confirmation. (I will attach a pic of the email) also his address on eBay is Maine while the email states a different name and state (Texas).

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

SCAMS!

They also use the word "ASAP"  scammers never send a real PayPal payment just fake ones.  Your good a picking out the scams, keep it up.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

SCAMS!

to “kindly” please check my email for confirmation. 

How about ignoring any emails, and check your PayPal account (or MP) to see if you are actually paid.  Never log in from a "link" provided in an email.  Never communicate with a potential buyer off the ebay site via texts, etc. 

The item you are trying to sell is one big SCAM MAGNET.  Even it you manage to get a real person that actually pays, watch out for messages to "change the address".

Never post anything for sale here that you are not willing to lose.  

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

SCAMS!

Just wanted address what’s real and fake because it’s my first time selling here. And it’s crazy how 3 times in a row has been scammers and then I had to relist and start over it’s very annoying.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

SCAMS!

I will start doing that now but it’s my first time selling here I had no idea luckily I looked into it all before going ahead with it.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

SCAMS!

Sell fixed price and check immediate payment required on the listing form.Listing will not end until paid for

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

SCAMS!

I loved the term " our devotions" down below on the letter..LOL! I'm with nkmipgolf on this one..what a scam OP you were wise to come to the forum!

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

SCAMS!

Right lol this is the first scam I’ve seen that didn’t end up in spam or junk tho and it even said it was from eBay.com besides the messed up fonts and lettering or noticing the name change and account info I could see why someone would fall for something like this 

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

SCAMS!

Scammers create new accounts or hijack old ones and send out batches of messages that say things like "I am interested in your item, text me". Experienced sellers know to ignore anyone wanting your text number or email address, but new sellers may not. Even when eBay removes a scam account, the scammer will just create new accounts and keep sending those sorts of messages. And some sellers will fall for it and contact them in violation of eBay policy.

Scammers target low feedback sellers selling expensive items since they think that new sellers are less familiar with how eBay actually works and are more likely to fall for a common scam.

It is against policy for any users to exchange contact information prior to a transaction. This is meant to prevent such scams and other off-eBay transactions. Once a scammer has a seller's contact information, that can be used to send a phony PayPal email that makes it look like the seller has been paid. 

Ignore anyone who wants you to text or send your email address prior to an actual transaction. If an actual buyer does not pay, file an unpaid item dispute. Consider listing items as fixed price with immediate payment required and not accepting offers.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

SCAMS!

Will do, thanks. The only reason I haven’t does a fixed price is I’m selling 2 items at once and I can’t sell the MacBook for more than what the error message tells me. So I decided to just put offers up and start a bid that way I can actually sell it for what it is worth. 

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

SCAMS!

Yes, I have said it on the boards before to suspect messages where " kindly" is part of the verbiage.  Good on you for catching that. 

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

SCAMS!

and I can’t sell the MacBook for more than what the error message tells me. 

Huh?  Is ebay requiring somehow to limit your asking price, or do you have some sort of "selling limits"?  

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

SCAMS!

@ittybitnot wrote:

and I can’t sell the MacBook for more than what the error message tells me. 

Huh?  Is ebay requiring somehow to limit your asking price, or do you have some sort of "selling limits"?  

I would guess it's the latter. All that aside, this is a horrible, worst-case-scenario way to begin selling on eBay: a new seller account trying to sell a highly-scammed item via Make Offer. Scam buyers will be lining up to take a whack at you, and honest buyers will be wary of you as well, thinking that maybe you are the scammer. 

Best to sell it locally for cash. No one halfway across the country (or halfway around the world) has a pressing need for your particular laptop.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

SCAMS!

Excellent advise a_c_green! OP print all these replies from posters and put it in your folder for ebay for future reference. I would take that listing down for a while as you being a new seller "sticks to the scam magnet"! Again, you did good by catching this..kuddos!!

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

SCAMS!

Yes they said my monthly limit was exceeded saying I could only list it for up to $375. I thought it was weird as well

Message 15 of 17
latest reply