cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SALES DIVE NOW ASCENDING

After a complete sales slump, I am finally back on the upswing.  I had to revamp 50%.  I usually sell expensive crystal, bulky heavy, hard to ship items like porcelain garden stools to Hawaii.  Now I have been adding a lot more $19.99 - $30 items and sales are coming back.  I expanded into barbie dolls & disney, corning ware, mick jagger trading plaques lol.  I am a Waterford gal but my great expensive antique crystal is not selling at good prices.  It is true I am only making $10 - 20 ea sale in stead of an easy $100 in 1 transactions but the quantity adds up to the $100 I'm used too & I feel good that sales are going up.  Plus every now and then I will sell a higher priced item.  My last Barbie sold $ 19.99 - fees I know but repetitive sales at 10 bucks will get me there.  The new generation feedback "Ok" lol & they think that is positive.  Ugh.  Times change and u got to change with them or lose out & feel discouraged.  Take a few chances on this new generation remember your competition is Amazon, Temu, Facebook Marketplace,  Mercari, Etsy, thrift stores, Estate Auctions, flea markets, rising gas prices & food prices (covid is over) so get creative.  If you double your dough Great be happy not greedy.  Larger Quantities on cheaper items add up to be a real winner.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: SALES DIVE NOW ASCENDING

I am a Waterford gal but my great expensive antique crystal is not selling at good prices

I am over 50 and there is no one among my family, social group, or coworkers who would be interested in expensive antique crystal. I have to imagine the demographic for that category is shrinking.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Do you live in the Midwest? Are these sales mainly going to coastal states? You dont have to tell me if you dont want to. 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

what exactly did you revamp on your listings( that you think helped )  , my sales have been in a downward spiral since the beginning of March and they are worse this month .  

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Great story of adapting to the current market @jenijensong . Hope your sales continue on the upswing. 👍

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

This should be required reading for every whiner on this board. This is how business is done successfully, even if she’s doing it on a small scale. So was eBay throttling her, or did she just need to change? Was eBay suppressing her, or was she selling things at a price point that was no longer in demand? Business landscapes change. Instead of crying about it, dig in and do something about it. You were not born with a right to sell on eBay or anywhere else. Pay attention, adapt, accept that it’s not easy. There’s nothing wrong with admitting business isn’t for you. What’s sad is complaining about the same things, often for years, yet never doing anything about it. Now call me a cheerleader or declare whatever other mealy mouthed objection you have to reality. It won’t change. No one is going to hold your hand and do it for you. Crying about fee structures and conspiracy theories serve to cripple you more. It’s self-inflicted. 

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Inspirational stuff – thank you so much for posting.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@jenijensong wrote:

After a complete sales slump, I am finally back on the upswing.  I had to revamp 50%.  I usually sell expensive crystal, bulky heavy, hard to ship items like porcelain garden stools to Hawaii.  Now I have been adding a lot more $19.99 - $30 items and sales are coming back.  I expanded into barbie dolls & disney, corning ware, mick jagger trading plaques lol.  I am a Waterford gal but my great expensive antique crystal is not selling at good prices.  It is true I am only making $10 - 20 ea sale in stead of an easy $100 in 1 transactions but the quantity adds up to the $100 I'm used too & I feel good that sales are going up.  Plus every now and then I will sell a higher priced item.  My last Barbie sold $ 19.99 - fees I know but repetitive sales at 10 bucks will get me there.  The new generation feedback "Ok" lol & they think that is positive.  Ugh.  Times change and u got to change with them or lose out & feel discouraged.  Take a few chances on this new generation remember your competition is Amazon, Temu, Facebook Marketplace,  Mercari, Etsy, thrift stores, Estate Auctions, flea markets, rising gas prices & food prices (covid is over) so get creative.  If you double your dough Great be happy not greedy.  Larger Quantities on cheaper items add up to be a real winner.

^^This is how you do it^^

Well done!

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

I am a Waterford gal but my great expensive antique crystal is not selling at good prices

I am over 50 and there is no one among my family, social group, or coworkers who would be interested in expensive antique crystal. I have to imagine the demographic for that category is shrinking.

I was just at a big church rummage sale this weekend... tables and tables of china and glassware for cheap and no one was touching any of it. People were going for the books and clothing and toys and jewelry instead.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

I really like Waterford crystal, but one nice piece is enough for me, and it would have to be something I would use on a regular basis.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Do you live in the Midwest? Are these sales mainly going to coastal states? You dont have to tell me if you dont want to. 

OP doesn't have to tell you where they are located just look at one of the listings and you will see they are in Indiana. Some interesting demographics related to the 50 states and the District of Columbia. 

1. 40% of the US population lives within 100 miles of the coast. 

2. About 65% of the US population lives east of the Mississippi, 35% west of it. 

* If you remove California from that figure (12%) then it drops to 23% west of the river.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@jenijensong 

Glad to see you are rebounding.

Hope you are seeing an increase in not just number of sales and revenues but in profit.

When your average sale price drops, the percentage of Ebay fees often increases. That 40 cent fee for each sale, the ratio of sale price to shipping charge with its impact on FVF.

And many of the items you have added are more likely to be returned or refunded.

I regularly have to redirect myself to stop listing cheaper stuff and make more time to add more bigger ticket as my average sale amount drops. And I have been lax recently in dealing with bigger ticket items

And many of the items you listed in your post

Message 12 of 12
latest reply