cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running out of bubble mailers, alternatives?

What might I consider using instead of recycled bubble mailers?  I'd rather not buy/ship in new bubble/plastic/tyvek mailers, but they'd be an option if they were recycled.

For the last 20+ years, I've averaged 50 items +- sold per year, mostly used tool parts, many of which I ship in recycled bubble mailers after wrapping the item itself in layers of plain recycled bubble wrap (particularly large, heavy, or 'fragile' items ship in boxes).  I'm running low on used bubble mailers.  It still have lots of reusable bubble wrap. 

What might I consider using instead of the recycled bubble mailers?

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

used boxes? You can buy the bubble mailers in bulk (if have store, use your coupon, get 100 of them - should last you 2 years if you sell 50 a year) 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 2 of 32
latest reply

Sometimes the cost of procuring reuseable packaging is higher than the cost of buying new. But it can be part of your hobby, which means it costs nothing and gives you pleasure.

Since you have lots of bubblewrap, you can use an ordinary envelope or kraft paper as the outer address label.  Use clear packing tape of course.

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

Bubble mailers are pennies on the dollar if you buy them wholesale, and there's plenty of sellers who offer such packaging right on ebay itself.

If you're buying them from the store, then they can get quite expensive.

As others noted, you get free shipping supplies quarterly with a store subscription too.

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

My impression here is that the OP is concerned with being as environmentally positive as possible 😀 , and has no assurance that seller purchased mailing supplies would get recycled by the next person.

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

used boxes?

that remindes me, when I downsized my books on amzn, I would saran wrap them, then wrap used corr cardboard (e.g. apple-boxes) around them (the easy direction) at least once and with about 2" extending past each end, then pinch & tape the ends, ship media mail (weight not an price-issue) and rec'vd nothing but pos feedback.

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Sometimes the cost of procuring reuseable packaging is higher than the cost of buying new. 

thanks, it made me rethink, the 'cost' is actually the cost differential. Moreover, since we're having to report to the IRS for $600+, a receipt yields a tax rate discount.

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

@gamersbaystore wrote:

Bubble mailers are pennies on the dollar if you buy them wholesale, and there's plenty of sellers who offer such packaging right on ebay itself.

If you're buying them from the store, then they can get quite expensive.

As others noted, you get free shipping supplies quarterly with a store subscription too.

At my hobby-level volume, ebaystore/wholesale are not viable.

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

My impression here is that the OP is concerned with being as environmentally positive as possible 😀 , and has no assurance that seller purchased mailing supplies would get recycled by the next person.

spot on, thanks for hearing that in my post.

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

It is viable if you can purchase enough bubble mailers for $40 or so to last for a few years.

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

Sellers haven't a clue as to what buyers do with their packaging after an item is shipped, so being environmentally friendly is irrelevant. Buyers just throw the packaging in the trash likely 99% of the time.

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

@gamersbaystore wrote:

It is viable if you can purchase enough bubble mailers for $40 or so to last for a few years.

Do you have a link?

I use an assortment of sizes, mostly large ones, and I often use 2 large ones for one item (just snip off the sealed end to make it a tube, then slip the tube 1/2" into the opening of the other, then tape all around, do that while they are empty and flat, then insert the pre-padded item.) 

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

@gamersbaystore wrote:

I see you sell lots of small, similarly sized items.  Mine tool parts vary all over the place in size and weight.

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

@int983 wrote:

At my hobby-level volume, ebaystore/wholesale are not viable.

If buying them is not "viable" then you have no other choice but to somehow  try to find them free.

Lowdown - Boz Scaggs
Message 14 of 32
latest reply

My cheap alternative is to check out a furniture store's loading dock. You can usually get large pieces of gray foam. You can wrap the tool or a small breakable item in a few layers of foam and mail it in a manilla envelope. 

Message 15 of 32
latest reply