cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return help: Buyer sent back different Item

I need some advise on what to do next and would appreciate any help.

I had a buyer start a return more then a week ago.  The buyer states that the product failed after two weeks.  I have free returns setup and the return was approved instantly.  They waited until one day after the return window (the period they were supposed to ship the item back) to finally send it back.

I just got the item back in (it's a hard drive) and the serial number (which uniquely identifies the product) and it's different then the one I originally sold.  The manufacter date and multiple other unqiue manufacturing identifiers are also different.  This is clearly not the product he/she was supposed to return.

In this case what would be the best course of action?

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

1.  Report the buyer for mail fraud with USPS.

2. Report the buyer for fraud with ic3.gov

3. Make a police report with your local police and have a copy sent to the buyer's local Police station.  Insist on the police report, they will balk, but will do it if you push.

4. Appeal the return on eBay, send in copies of all above actions and eBay may choose to refund you.

The first 3 are the most important. It puts the buyer on the radar and if they do it a few more times they may get some unpleasant vistors to their home.  eBay will not protect sellers, it's up to us to report the scammer buyers every time so eventually action will be taken.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Issue a full refund.

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

3. Make a police report with your local police and have a copy sent to the buyer's local Police station.  Insist on the police report, they will balk, but will do it if you push.

4. Appeal the return on eBay, send in copies of all above actions and eBay may choose to refund you.

The first 3 are the most important. It puts the buyer on the radar and if they do it a few more times they may get some unpleasant vistors to their home.  eBay will not protect sellers, it's up to us to report the scammer buyers every time so eventually action will be taken.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 3 of 30
latest reply

Thank you for the informative response.  I'll have to get working on this right now.

As an alternative would it be possible to just refund 50%, which is the minimum I'm allowed in the free return program?  I think I may be able to get the other 50% from selling the broken Hard drive.  I'm just not 100% sure how well eBay backs up sellers when it comes to the new Free Returns program.

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

Yep what they said.  Sorry to hear that.  Best regards

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

You could issue the 50% refund, but I think the buyer can still go through their credit card company.

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

Also report the buyer to ebay, not that that will do any good...but all we can do is hope that the report doesn't just end up lost in space on ebay servers, which is where I think it ends up. You might even try calling and asking CS if the buyer has other complaints on their record. Add their ID as well as their email address to your BBL. Tell all your friends too, other sellers, in person, not here on this board. 

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

Thank you!  All good tips!

Message 8 of 30
latest reply

OP,

Yes, if you are in the free program just refund 50% the maximum you are allowed to deduct.  No question. Just do it. You will be protected and if ebay wants to make up the difference that will be up to them. Also report the seller for return fraud in the ebay system. Short & simple - "sent back different item".  

It's likely it isn't the scammers first rodeo, but by reporting there's a chance you can make it his last one.  

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

Thank you!  Appreciate it!  I think I will also contact the buyer and give them a chance to explain.  I've had some crazy returns before where the buyer made a mistake and perhaps this is a case of it.  I just want to cover all bases to make sure I'm giving them an absolute fair shake.  If they don't respond I'll take the steps everyone here has so kindly explained.

Message 10 of 30
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

I learned the hard way a few months ago that #4 is only possible if the return/refund was forced by the buyer escalating.  If you "willingly" accepted the return, their is no option to appeal.

So that means in the case of a fraudulent return, the seller has to risk a possible "No Seller Resolution" defect for allowing eBay to step in (and hope he can appeal) or just eat the loss.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 11 of 30
latest reply

The best way around this issue is to always call and ask to escalate.  The US agents can leave notes on the case and make sure it's handled by a human and not a bot.

I definitely won't escalate if it comes to that through the automated process as you stated, it can cause problems.

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

The problem with escalating the case is that ebay reps have said that ebay will no longer side with the seller. 

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

"I think I will also contact the buyer and give them a chance to explain.  I've had some crazy returns before where the buyer made a mistake and perhaps this is a case of it."

This is the best first step.

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

Pretty stupid of someone to try to scam on a serial # item, did you have the serial # in the listing or anyway to prove it? Contact the buyer 1st and to see if he made a mistake, then outline what you intend to do next, if he does not reply to your satisfaction!

Message 15 of 30
latest reply