cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return broken Goods SCAM !

Recently was informed by BUYER That the Package was Damaged and Items inside Unit were not Properly Secured and were Broken. They Sent me Pictures  and made a Negative Comment regarding the Package. Clearly the Unit was taken apart to make it Look like it was Broken , although We sent the Package encased in Styrofoam and The Filters were packaged separately from the Unit.  They Requested a Refund and Refused to Return the UNIT ! E-BAY doesn't Care, and I will Close My Account Shortly ! BTW, Real Estate People don't Even Charge 15% for a SALE ! 

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

This seems to be becoming a more common occurrence these days. If they opened an official return request through eBay depending on what you sold and the value you can accept the return and offer a full refund upon receipt of the returned item and send them a shipping label. If they never return it then there is no refund and you can cancel the shipping label once the case closes. The one caveat to this is you never know what they are going to send back, it could be a rock and that would be fine with eBay. 

If they have not opened an official case with eBay simply advise them to do so if they want a refund. After that I would simply ignore. They may leave you negative feedback but you should be able to have that removed if they do not go through the official process. 

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Real Estate sales are not 20, 50, or 120 dollars either. Why are you paying 15%?. They file a claim you approve the refund once they return the item.  

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

If the buyer says it was damaged during shipping, tell them you'll open an insurance case with the carrier and they will probably want to come look at it, then see what the buyer says.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

They Requested a Refund and Refused to Return the UNIT !

@fko_lea_ecdv16oas

Forget that they've "requested a refund" and offer that they open an official Return. You will then issue a full refund only after your item(s) are returned to you . That way, you have the item(s) back to resell, and I find that if an item sells once, it will again. Approve the Return (if opened) and get your stuff back to list for the right buyer.

Could be they've lost their MBG priveleges, could be they don't ever return it, could be they think you'll cave.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

You can still teach an Old Dog new Tricks ! Thanks for Your Input ! Very Helpful ! 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

One bad sale doesn't mean one should leave. Is there anything that can be done to change the feedback from the buyer? I kinda understand the not returning it....shipping was more than the cost of buying the item. Most buyers would not even go out of their way to send pictures. Most sellers have had such a situation and yet they are still here. I have had a few myself. You are already established on eBay...that is a feast to even behold. A lot of sellers leave and then want to return and its not easy.

The Real Estate comment I don't understand...I live in San Francisco and if I sold one house a year...only one...that would be a nice income.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@fko_lea_ecdv16oas wrote:

Recently was informed by BUYER That the Package was Damaged and Items inside Unit were not Properly Secured and were Broken. They Sent me Pictures  and made a Negative Comment regarding the Package. Clearly the Unit was taken apart to make it Look like it was Broken , although We sent the Package encased in Styrofoam and The Filters were packaged separately from the Unit.  They Requested a Refund and Refused to Return the UNIT ! E-BAY doesn't Care, and I will Close My Account Shortly ! BTW, Real Estate People don't Even Charge 15% for a SALE ! 

Sorry to hear of your situation - I believe the fraud is getting worse all the time - Glad to hear you are willing to put your dignity and self respect first in a show of protest should this not go your way - I have done a similar thing - Basically stopped listing a couple years ago and canceled 3 of our 4 accounts in response to the increasing fraud and the Promoted Listings Program - We pay about 18% of our items selling price in fees on avg and agree it is over-reach - Especially when you consider they are "recommending" you give them another 7% to 11% of the ENTIRE SALE to promote your listings to get better visibility due to the lower visibility you get from other people using Promoted Listings?? Is that right? is that how the promoted listing program works? Anyway - Best of luck to you

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

E-BAY doesn't Care, and I will Close My Account Shortly ! BTW, Real Estate People don't Even Charge 15% for a SALE ! 

Well did your items sell for 200k like most real estate?

And beyond a certain price ebay has lower fees.

Take, for instance,.................................

Most categories, including Trading Cards, Collectible Card Games, and eBay Motors > Parts & Accessories, Automotive Tools & Supplies, and Safety & Security Accessories.

janet9988_0-1682213216872.png

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@janet9988 ,

The 2.35% portion above $7,500.00 is because the credit companies Visa, MC, AMEX, and Discover don't have a cap on their fees.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

I don't understand why you didn't get your item. NEVER refund a customer if you want an

item back. message them to select "return item" from their purchased items on their ebay page

and them when you get the return request select "send buyer return label" you will not have

to refund until the buyer ships the item back and has been DELIVERED to you. 

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

You can still teach an Old Dog new Tricks ! Thanks for Your Input ! Very Helpful ! 

Do not rush to leave a response. Let this settle out first. 

I agree with the other posters, tell them to open a return case with ebay and you will send them a return label. 

What does that buyers feedback left for others look like and how many feedback do they have?

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

I'm not sure why you are comparing the costs of selling here to selling real estate, the two things are quite different.  One has nothing to do with the other.  Besides, nothing you sold cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, which real estate frequently does.

As to the buyer.  Ebay gives sellers guidelines on how to handle a buyer filing an claim because the item was not as described / damaged in shipment.  This would have been a very simple case of you to win.  All you had to do was accept it and issue them a return shipping label.  IF the buyer refused to return it, then Ebay would NOT have made you refund the buyer UNLESS they actually returned it.

For Ebay to step in and refund the buyer, you would have had to of denied the claim the buyer filed.  After that a button appears on the claim in which either party can click on it and ask Ebay to step in.  This is typically something a seller should NEVER allow to happen if it can be avoided as it never turns out well for the seller.  When this happens, not only does the seller lose the money, Ebay often does not refund the fees to the seller and the seller gets a Defect on their Dashboard.  All of which is avoidable.

If you had just honored the claim and the buyer refused to return it.  In a couple weeks it would have just closed out as the buyer was non compliant.  You would not have had to refund.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 13 of 13
latest reply