cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Return Fraud: Buyer change the return address so that I (seller) don't get the return.

A buyer purchase an item and have it shipped to FL.  Once it is delivered, the buyer opened a case saying the item is defective and I issued an eBay return label.   The next day, the item is being picked up in NY instead of FL for a return.  So clearly, it wasn't the item I sent.  

When the item showed delivered, I didn't receive anything so I went to my local post office.  They were able to use the return tracking number I provided to see that it was delivered to a different address than my return address.  However, the post office won't show me the address or give me a picture of that return mail of a different address for privacy reasons.  I paid for this return label, so why can't I view the label that I paid for?  

eBay just goes by the return being delivered as evidence that the return was delivered and refunds the buyer.  This is a huge scam.  Does anybody have success winning a case like this with eBay?  

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Return Fraud: Buyer change the return address so that I (seller) don't get the return.

The Post office can't show you the address however you can ask for a statement that the return address on the label doesn't match.

Then you can appeal with eBay and now you have actual evidence to get eBay to side with you.

Ebay is going to obviously refuse you if all you do is say it wasn't delivered to you.

Multiple successes with this type of thing, and multiple posts about scammers that original address was in Miami and the return was first scanned in New York.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Thanks, I will get such a statement from USPS and pursue an appeal with eBay to see what they say and I will update here.  

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

I wonder what would happen if you took the receipt part of a return label into USPS and demanded to see the actual address on it? Assuming you paid for it and it wasn't an ebay generated one.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

I have no idea.  My return label was an eBay-generated return label so I have no receipt to show.  However, the tracking of my return label is linked to my return address in the USPS system.  So when the actual return address on the label is different than what is in the USPS system, they should know that it is fraud.  But they won't show me the label.  

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Obviously there is a flaw in their system which allows the receiving address to be altered which they are not addressing.

I was always under the impression (before all this started) that the original address info was in the barcode somehow, as if you just RTS not at this address on a letter without blacking out the barcode it just keeps bouncing back to you.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

@vitaltest 

Did you ship this item to a Freight Forwarder?  Is your buyer registered in another country?  You will need to check their feedback page.  If they are a ZERO, come back here for instructions if you can't access it. 

If you did, you may have additional protections, but you will have to convince eBay of same.  That is best accomplished through on of their social media portals instead of dealing with the outsourced call center reps you get via call back or chat.  

Typical scenario for the fake tracking return scam is they either buy their own label and have a cheap item sent to an address in your zipcode to satisfy the eBay bot system, or they have a person in the US "tweak" the label you provided to change the return and ship to address.  

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

@vitaltest wrote:

My return label was an eBay-generated return label so I have no receipt to show. 

However, the tracking of my return label is linked to my return address in the USPS system

Is that how you actually got that number @vitaltest that return tracking number

-- through your USPS Informed (now mis-informed) Delivery account?

So eBay didn't tell you the number on the return label you paid?

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

I got the return tracking number after eBay generated the return label.  The USPS informed delivery account said I should expect this package, but it never showed up.  eBay did tell me the return shipping label number.  

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Yes I did ship this item to a freight forwarder.  The freight forwarder address is:  

1350 NW 121st Ave
Ste A400
Miami FL 33182-1542

My buyer has 0 feedback and he created the account on 11-20-23, the same day he made the purchase.  The item was delivered on 11-27-23 to FL and he opened the return the next day.  The item was picked up in NY for return on 11-30-23.   

He did change the address on the eBay-generated return label to a random address with the same zip code.  I believe he just used a pdf editor to edit out the return address because the tracking number still has my correct return address associated with it in the USPS system.  

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Reference this thread for more info.

I dug it up and has links in replies to other threads.

This was a successful battle, took some patience and work but it got there.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping/Scam/td-p/33987467

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@vitaltest wrote:

the tracking number still has my correct return address associated with it in the USPS system.  

Which is where the USPS system fails imho. Either they use the barcode info or not.

Either way, they need to drop this stupid "privacy issue" excuse when it's obvious from the barcode it was meant to go to YOU.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

The scanners need AI to match barcode to address and if not matching needs to prompt a reprint label to be placed over so the package gets delivered to the correct address.

Simply being able to change the address causing the tracking to literally provide false delivery needs to go away.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Totally agree.

Maybe they could make an exception where the 'edit' is hand written, such as the addition of a unit, lot or Apt #

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Honestly, that would make it harder you are right.

But these professional scammers I'm sure know how to use photoshop.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply