cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Responding to Low Ball Offers when Make An Offer is Not Even An Option

I am so tired of responding to low ball offers on my items that I would like to include a statement in my ads to say something like "I do not have make an offer as an option and am unable to respond when one is made".  I am not sure if that would generate more offers just to make me crazy or if ebay would pull my ad.  Some of these offers are unbelievable like today I received an offer of $16.44 for a $63.00 dress and free shipping.  I know I can block the person but I have had a few instances where I declined and the person bought the item anyway and there were no problems.  Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Unfortunately there is little to be done to stop offers coming in unsolicited. When i receive one i have a generic response:

“Dear Buyer, i regret i am not taking offers on this item, but thank you for your interest in my listing. Your Seller”

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Unfortunately there is little to be done to stop offers coming in unsolicited. When i receive one i have a generic response:

“Dear Buyer, i regret i am not taking offers on this item, but thank you for your interest in my listing. Your Seller”

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

its easy.... DELETE...Block the ID...done

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

@pingpong517 wrote:

otherwise... say NO  ... or counter offer..if done via best offer....then go to the DELETE/Decline block done system....

some work out, but many can bite you later

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

@pingpong517 wrote:

Even easier, simply ignore. This is the Internet, you have no obligation to respond in any manner.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Just decline & move on.  If they send you another low ball offer, block them. 

If they hassle you with a unreasonable offer, they are usually the ones that will be unreasonable

when your item arrives.   It those people you want to avoid like the plague.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

The only way you can stop it, is to go into each auction one at time and UNCHECK BEST OFFER indivually plain and simple and each time you relist you will have to do that as well, THERE IS NO OTHER WAY AROUND IT!  It is a automatic thing ebay has forced us with even when we have to pay the 35 cent listing fee...Da Nut

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

how are they doing offers if you don't accept offers? by message? ..,. just counteroffer, most of the time, in my case, they may accept.
Message 8 of 21
latest reply

@ham*i*am46 wrote:

I am so tired of responding to low ball offers on my items that I would like to include a statement in my ads to say something like "I do not have make an offer as an option and am unable to respond when one is made".  I am not sure if that would generate more offers just to make me crazy or if ebay would pull my ad.  Some of these offers are unbelievable like today I received an offer of $16.44 for a $63.00 dress and free shipping.  I know I can block the person but I have had a few instances where I declined and the person bought the item anyway and there were no problems.  Any help would be appreciated.

------------

yes, i have experienced the same thing.  i remember when 'best offer' first started, almost no one made any offers at all, and just bought it at auction or the price listed.  then, when buyers got used to it, they would timidly ask for 2 dollars off or maybe 5 dollars off...or use it to offset the shipping fees.  but now, it's totally reversed...even when there is no BO available, they STILL will message with offers.

just so you know...as a buyer, for years i never asked in a mssg for a lower price -- i thought it was obvious that the seller would list a BO if they were willing to accept lower offers.  silly me!  there have now been several items i was watching and waiting to see if the seller lowered the price...when it suddenly got sold for a lower price anyway.  and now, not wanting to lose out yet again...i have started to inquire when i have a price-point at which i know i will buy.

i think ebay's 'send offer,' within the mssg system, has spawned a lot more of that, as well.  now, don't get me wrong...i REALLY like that we can make a legit offer within the messages, but that has solidified the practice even more.  so now, buyers are regularly making offers within the mssg system.

NOTE - it has become so bad within the trading card community that a majority of the sellers are listing items for ridiculous prices.  i don't know if that is supposed to be a mssg to the buyer that they don't intend to go any lower than normal, or if they are just feeding the buyers' need to ask and get a cheaper price than what is listed--knowing they will only accept the normal price.

and, it's not just buyers...it's mostly OTHER SELLERS who contact me to ask for a low-ball type price!

one other note to consider... if i send an offer via the 'best offer' that is lower than the seller wanted, they do not tend to make a counter-offer.  however, if i engage them within a message, they will much more readily counter.  that is (excuse the pun) counter-intuitive.  and get this...when one of the sellers let my official 'best offer' expire, i bought from someone else.  then, when interacting with him later on another transaction, he actually told me i should have emailed and discussed my offer, and he would have taken it. ugh!

so you see... there's many perspectives and many reasons why there are so many messg offers now.

as to how to reduce them...  i have indeed seen some sellers state that they are firm with their price.  as a buyer, that did not bother me when done factually, without emotion.  it is then the equivalent of, 'that's my bottom line.'  not saying it would stop mssg offers, but it would prob stop those who are considerate.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Even easier, simply ignore. This is the Internet, you have no obligation to respond in any manner.

That gets my vote. 

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

@m60driver wrote:

@pingpong517 wrote:

So it doesn't bother you when you get unsolicited spam phone calls, some of whom leave messages wanting to sell you whatver garbage they are peddling, or are phishing scams?  It's a hassle, and it's spam.  

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

The only way you can stop it, is to go into each auction one at time and UNCHECK BEST OFFER indivually plain and simple and each time you relist you will have to do that as well, THERE IS NO OTHER WAY AROUND IT!  It is a automatic thing ebay has forced us with even when we have to pay the 35 cent listing fee...Da Nut

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

i've received a few requests lately along the lines of "i'm on retirement disability and can't afford to eat and i just stubbed my toe and i've got rickets.... can you give me free postage on this knickknack that is a completely superfluous purchase?".  and then i check their buying history and they seem to buy something useless off ebay every single day. 

even tho i'd love to call them on it my response is always "i am not discounting items at this time, sorry".  sure wish i could give them the same replies i give to telemarketers tho

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Until eBay decides to create a new metric "Seller response time to buyer inquiries".  And those who don't answer quickly enough compared to their peers will be fast tracked to the 14% FVF fees.  So another money grab.

Buy hey, they wouldn't do that.  Just like they wouldn't penalize return rates.

Joe

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

@carcollectornut wrote:

I know you've posted this same reply a few times but the OP is talking about unsolicited  offers.  I get them too even though best offer has never been checked by me or eBay and I have a "sorry no best offers option" in the description with 16 point font.

Granted with the disclaimer it isn't as often but some buyers still ignore it.

<edit: spelling>

Joe

Message 15 of 21
latest reply