cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Request Invoice' option blocked to buyer...lost a sale.

Ebay's own page (pictured) makes no mention of this option being blocked if there are sale items involved. And it should NOT matter if there is, or isn't. It's my store, my stock, my decision, not eBay's. And it's not a further discount on the item(s), it's an expected reduction in shipping costs to the buyer for making multiple purchases. Every one of my listings explains that I will combine shipping and for the buyer to simply 'request invoice' before paying. But no, eBay blocks this (pictured) and I just lost a $40 sale, as the buyer went through a different seller. I've also had a huge drop in the number of multiple listing sales and now it all makes sense, as this is the first time a buyer has actually sent me a screenshot of what the cart displays when trying to request an updated invoice.

Anyone know if this is something eBay is working on to resolve? Or, are they just being greedy as usual on their grabbing a percentage of buyers making multiple shipping payments (which they don't refund but buyers expect sellers to eat)?

Message 1 of 154
latest reply
153 REPLIES 153

Re: 'Request Invoice' option blocked to buyer...lost a sale.

@racestuff4sale

I seem to be having better luck than you with this by simply having removed IPR from my listings and NOT having combined shipping policies at ALL (apart from the one that says I combine under preferences). The only time I seem to run into issues now is when one or more of the items are on "sale".

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 106 of 154
latest reply

As I mentioned in earlier posts, I don't have a Twitter acount and don't have time for one. I also don't want to use Facebook to solve a problem when eBay has this forum to monitor issues. I don't have IPR checked, nor would I ever, as I've always had full control over how I ship and what rates I give my buyers. Only recently has this been taken away from sellers. Never a problem in the past, but now it's evident.

Message 107 of 154
latest reply

This really ticks me off. I constantly get these eBay messages and wonder just how many items are actually sitting idle in buyers shopping carts, all due to this nonsense. The screenshot doesn't show the rest of them, or the previous messages. And the irony here is that they want me to discount the items even further, but claim that the 'request total' link is blocked because sellers can't give a further discount. Can't make this **bleep** up. UNBLOCK THE LINK! Put it back to the way it was. You know, before eBay got greedy with multiple shipping payment charges.

Message 108 of 154
latest reply

This is indeed a problem that I encounter frequently as I usually have a sale going. Buyers contact me and I tell them it's an issue eBay hasn't fixed yet. Next I let them know what their combined shipping cost will be and assure them I will refund the difference via paypal immediately following their payment. Because I'm a reputable seller with 100% poz fb, this work-around has worked every time, but it's a hassel neither buyer nor seller should have to deal with and one that surely drives some buyers to other sites where buying is hassel-free.

Message 109 of 154
latest reply

Ten days now and not a single message from a buyer, or eBay message, for a combined total request. I'll be lucky to pay my eBay bill this coming month.

Message 110 of 154
latest reply

Just curious if anyone knows if I'll have the same 'blocking' problem if I auction my items? The more I think about it the madder I get. So, I'm thinking about blowing out my listed stock and setting up a Shopify account (or similar) and starting over, but I'm concerned that if someone wins multiple listings that they won't be able to request an invoice, just as I'm experiencing right now with fixed-price listings.

Any idea if this will be a problem?

Message 111 of 154
latest reply

Earlier comments point out that eBay keeps their percentage on each unnecessary paid shipping rate, even if you refund the buyer when combining shipping. Buyers that refund the difference are eating what eBay keeps...for doing nothing (other than intentionally blocking the 'request total' link). Check your monthly invoice and you'll see each charge but no refund.

We shouldn't even be having this conversation. Ebay has ZERO reason to block it, at any time.

Message 112 of 154
latest reply

Have you tried adjusting your shipping preferences under your site preferences? I have recently had a few issues (different sales) in regards to the option to "Request Total" and making sure you've taken the time to set your shipping preferences (had done this but didn't revisit after adding multiple large items). Here's what I learned:

One) Can't request total when item is already discounted OR if your item(s) require the buyer to pay immediately. This is silly, I agree. You might have to get creative...

Two) You can adjust your shipping preferences to allow combined payments and combined shipping weights, allow combined payments but not combined shipping weights, or don't allow combined payments (in which case combined weights isn't allowed). In my case, I have some large items that ship individually, they can not be combined. However, when a buyer bought four the system combined the weight of four (I had my site/shipping preferences to allow combined shipping and payments) but it did not combine the dimensions. Therefore it charged my buyer for the weight of four but the dimensions of one. (These are 25x24x13 EACH in the box, and 17 pounds. Thus eBay said okay 25x24x13 inch box that weighs 68lbs.) Upon calling eBay I realized I needed to change my combined shipping/shipping preferences. I then created a RULE for calculated shipping which is DO NOT COMBINE WEIGHT. I can then see this option IN MY LISTING under calculated shipping. Click, and now that item does not allow for combined weights and the buyer will have to pay individual shipping. My understanding is I can select, or not, this box in each listing now that I have created the rule (it says "Apply calculated shipping rule"). So when I can offer combined shipping (weight) I will, but when I can't I'll click the box. And a tip if you don't already know, when adjusting your settings, after you've applied new things log out of your account and "test" them. Act like a buyer, get shipping rates. Does it work?
Message 113 of 154
latest reply

I had the same trouble and luck. I was worried the buyer was getting sick of the run around so offered them a little bit more of a discount as a consolation. I learned that a buyer also can't request the total/invoice when immediate payment is required (sorry if that is repetitive, now I know what IPR is 😉 ). When the item wasn't on sale and I removed IPR they were able to put all the items in their cart and request a total. At that time I could adjust the shipping (to combine) and give the discount I wanted to offer. Best option over sending them a coupon link (tried that too).
Message 114 of 154
latest reply

Have you adjusted your site/shipping preferences? You can create rules that you can select or not in your listings. Just a thought as it's something I overlooked and learned the hard way when shipping some large items.
Message 115 of 154
latest reply

From last week and no response to my message explaining what is happening. Another lost sale.

Message 116 of 154
latest reply

Hmmmmmmmm, another thing that makes one go 'Hmmmmmmmm' in the night.  So many requests for a discount of the super sacred shipping fees.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 117 of 154
latest reply

Just got my first combined shipping request through eBay messages since forever. But why? Because it's June 1st and the item wasn't on sale anymore. So, I get a request in the brief gap between having monthly sales. Sadly, I'll be creating new sale discounts today for the month of June and that will prevent buyers from requesting combined shipping....AGAIN That's just plain screwed up. Seriously, eBay, STOP BLOCKING THE 'REQUEST INVOICE' BUTTON.

All these years this has never been a problem but now it is. And it's HURTING. Sales have been dismal for many already and this idiotic move is making things worse.  This may be my first time not covering my eBay bill and I know for FACT that I've lost sales over this (as I've posted pics prior).

And, people, I've tried everything and if you read back through these messages you'll see, so please do not make repeated suggestions and guesses. Especially those of you with a 12 feedback and no items listed for sale, using alias accounts (makes me suspect you're hiding something or you work for eBay itself). The items I sell will not jive with one-size-fits-all shipping rules. Either the buyer will lose on being over charged, or I'll lose on not charging enough. I need to combine the items ordered, reinforce them, package them, then send an updated invoice to KEEP THE BUYERS HAPPY with correct rates. This is a joke in not being allowed to do what I have always done....FOR YEARS.

Stop blocking the button (and my sales)...IT'S THAT SIMPLE!

Message 118 of 154
latest reply

As  a buyer, I've faced this problem.

Seller told it's too difficult to fix, so pay the semi-discounted combined rate as invoiced and then they will issue a partial return of funds to fix what the coders can't be bothered to consider as a scenario.

Seems to me that the easiest way around the problem is to offer FREE SHIPPING and factor in the shipping cost to each item. 

Then apply an agreed seller discount to the invoice you issue for multiple items in a consignment... NOT an invoice generated by bot that can't be told.

Would that be a long term fix to this very frustrating situation?

Message 119 of 154
latest reply

I have 2,600+ items that would require figuring out what it would cost to ship, then adjusting the listings. The bulk range from 1oz to 1lb. Cardboard is also added for reinforcement PER order. The more fragile the more cardboard. And my weight based orders aren't all based on weight, as once the 13oz First Class weight is exceeded, I then use Flat Rate Priority envelopes and Padded envelopes, then back to weight based boxing after the envelope capabilities are exceeded. The best value for buyers is the Padded envelope which can hold up to a dozen comics. They have always been a great attraction for buyers to order more than one comic.

Plus, the FREE Shipping offer is really a scam on the buyer when they want to order more than one item, unless the buyer makes arrangements ahead of time for an agreed refund. It's also a deterrent to most buyers to order multiple items because of paying for the added shipping figure. I've personally turned away from numerous sellers that used free shipping. And when I did need something, I made two seperate orders just to make sure the seller did indeed make two shipments. To me, free shipping only encourages single item purchases from the average eBay buyer. Sure, it'll work for sellers that sell items that are rarely ever purchased together, but not for someone like me with a ton of similar sized and shaped items, which are often in a series or genre.

Only option from my side is to ask the buyer to send all item numbers for me to pull and relist all together. That takes more work from my side and opens the door to problems. And that's only if the buyer made the initial contact and then agrees to be patient while I do it. Of which I've lost sales when they don't respond back (and it has happened).

And in case you didn't know, if a seller refunds a buyer for making multiple shipping payments, eBay KEEPS that 9% fee for EACH paid rate. So, I either have to deduct it from my profit (which sometimes could be the actual percentage that eBay kept), or I deduct it from the buyers refund (which is what I do). I've had buyers make 10 or 12 individual payments and they end up losing around $5...for nothing. Ebay got it...for nothing.

In the end, no matter how it's debated, eBay needs to quit blocking the 'request total' button on the buyers end. It never was before and it should never be now. And nobody with eBay can explain WHY it is this way. They'll acknowledge it's happening, and that it's mainly due to sale items involved, but they won't say WHY it's being done, or that they'll fix it.

Message 120 of 154
latest reply