cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relisting to Increase Item Visibility

I have many listings that are 7 months old or approaching that age. Premium Store with 965 GTC listings. I started back selling on ebay around mid January 2017.

Many of these items have quantity available. I am sure that many of these quantity listings have had items sell at some point over the last several months. I have also noticed that when one item sells, over the course of the next several days or a week, a few more of the same item may sell which I contribute to increase visibility by the ebay system. Should I leave those listings alone and just relist the items that have not had a sale?

The other question is, should I use "sell similar"or is a complete "new listing" the way to go? I realize that a new listing is a lot of work as compared to "sell similar" or a "relist". Perhaps I need to "end the listing" first and then do a "relist" or "sell Similar" to keep from having duplicate listings.

Seems as though I could start going through listings that are due to relist because their 30 days are up the next day or two and relist those without much impact to my invoice from ebay. And then of course, end the original listing in the process.

Other thoughts:

I can never pinpoint what exactly causes an increase to sales.

Updating and refreshing listings, adding new listings, using markdown manager and promotions?

Things just seem to take off one day and then can be next to morbid the following day. I just do not get it. I have to step away to take care of an errand and will return later. Thank you for any and all feedback.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Relisting to Increase Item Visibility

stonevintage wrote: ... Think about it, your item # does not change with anything but a brand new listing.....

The item number changes with relist or sell similar.  The only time that the original listing number carries over is with Good Until Canceled listings.

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

I switched everything back to 30 day fixed from GTC, sales improved.  I've tried both Sell Similar and Relist with not discernable difference in sales.  Using Sell Similar required more attention and maintenance as the original listing stays in the Unsold screen for 90 days unless it's removed.  Relist removes the original listing as part of the process.  As other's have said both generate a new item # so they seem to be treated as a new listing.

I don't care about tracking the historical number of sales, so 30 day listings work for me over GTC.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 17 of 31
latest reply

Things just seem to take off one day and then can be next to morbid the following day.

It's called 'retail'. 

My items are mostly unique, so I am comfortable letting them sit for up to a year without revision of any sort.

Some sit long enough to get a Note from eBay that they have been listed for 16 months (which means I have paid 80 cents not to sell them).

However, I do find that my GTC listings sell best when they are newly relisted (automatic) or about to expire (and be relisted).

So I try to make sure something is renewed or about to end every single day of the month.

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

I have this morning, started the manual ending and relisting process for 960 GTC listings. With that said, of course I started to think a bit deeper into the process and would like to share some findings for discussion.

Assuming that listings have their best visibility as they are starting and/or ending, there could be a best time of the day for GTC listings to start and end. I went back through my sales from May 1st until yesterday. It appears that there is a peak time for my particular product sales from 10:00am until 4:00pm.

CST

Time Windows         Sales

12:00am - 2:00am (5)

2:00am  - 4:00am (3)

4:00am - 6:00am (2)

6:00am - 8:00am (12)

8:00am - 10:00am (31)

10:00am - 12:00pm (41)

12:00pm - 2:00pm (29)

2:00pm - 4:00pm (41)

4:00pm - 6:00pm (32)

6:00pm - 8:00pm (28)

8:00pm - 10:00pm (31)

10:00pm - 12:00am (11)

I have 961 listings at this time. I should be able to relist 32 per day to have them spaced out somewhat equally over the course of 30 days. Then 32 listings will end and start just about every day. What I have found out is this is a very quick process. Not time consuming at all once I get the process down.

I am just trying to establish the best timing during the day to accomplish this task while having the listings start and end at the optimum premium time.

Your thoughts on what time of the day my GTC listings should do their automatic-monthly 30-day relisting? All other thoughts encouraged as well.

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

TTT for the night time folks.

Message 20 of 31
latest reply

I ran across a couple of gotchas while working on the relisting this morning.

Ending a listing in order to relist to gain new listing status blows away any watchers. Also, if there is a quantity of the item and it has sold one or more at some point, you lose the quantity already sold identifier that shows you item had already been purchased by other buyers. 

This causes me to at least open each listing to check for these particular listings as at this point, I am not ending and relisting those. 

Message 21 of 31
latest reply

Hello,

I don't know if you remember the advice I gave you: My Listing Impression ^ 9.4%

Click-through rate ^0.1%

Listing Page Views: ^8.3%

Sales conversion rate: ^0.3%

This is the first time I have all green and eBay increased my selling limit.

Still, have the same amount of watches and more.

I was hoping my advice would of have helped you. I am a small basic store looking to regain my Top Rated Status.

Tigeress33009
Message 22 of 31
latest reply

@tigeress33009 wrote:

Hello,

I don't know if you remember the advice I gave you: My Listing Impression ^ 9.4%

Click-through rate ^0.1%

Listing Page Views: ^8.3%

Sales conversion rate: ^0.3%

This is the first time I have all green and eBay increased my selling limit.

Still, have the same amount of watches and more.

I was hoping my advice would of have helped you. I am a small basic store looking to regain my Top Rated Status.

Thank you for the advice. I wish you the absolute best in regaining your TRS.

Message 23 of 31
latest reply

@calntom wrote:

I ran across a couple of gotchas while working on the relisting this morning.

Ending a listing in order to relist to gain new listing status blows away any watchers. Also, if there is a quantity of the item and it has sold one or more at some point, you lose the quantity already sold identifier that shows you item had already been purchased by other buyers. 

This causes me to at least open each listing to check for these particular listings as at this point, I am not ending and relisting the items that have watchers or have previous sold and have quantity left. 

The next gotcha I ran into is that if I do end and relist items that have been sold before and have quantity left on that listing, I think that the relist option defaults to the original quantity that was originally listed. This of course does not match up with existing inventory.

I am glad that I did not get too far into this endeavor without noticing that. 

Message 24 of 31
latest reply

This option doesn't exist anymore, right? All my fixed price listings only have GTC as a duration option... 😞
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 25 of 31
latest reply

@curated.by.michele wrote:
This option doesn't exist anymore, right? All my fixed price listings only have GTC as a duration option... 😞

This thread shouldn't exist anymore!

(08-20-2017)

laughing

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

tigress, that is absolute nonsense. Editing a listing, even if you do edit something, does nothing to increase the visibility of the listing. It is still an old listing.

Radine

Message 27 of 31
latest reply

Oh heck.

This is a year old thread. 

Sorry.

Radine

Message 28 of 31
latest reply

@calntom wrote:

I have many listings that are 7 months old or approaching that age. Premium Store with 965 GTC listings. I started back selling on ebay around mid January 2017.

Many of these items have quantity available. I am sure that many of these quantity listings have had items sell at some point over the last several months. I have also noticed that when one item sells, over the course of the next several days or a week, a few more of the same item may sell which I contribute to increase visibility by the ebay system. Should I leave those listings alone and just relist the items that have not had a sale?

The other question is, should I use "sell similar"or is a complete "new listing" the way to go? I realize that a new listing is a lot of work as compared to "sell similar" or a "relist". Perhaps I need to "end the listing" first and then do a "relist" or "sell Similar" to keep from having duplicate listings.

Seems as though I could start going through listings that are due to relist because their 30 days are up the next day or two and relist those without much impact to my invoice from ebay. And then of course, end the original listing in the process.

Other thoughts:

I can never pinpoint what exactly causes an increase to sales.

Updating and refreshing listings, adding new listings, using markdown manager and promotions?

Things just seem to take off one day and then can be next to morbid the following day. I just do not get it. I have to step away to take care of an errand and will return later. Thank you for any and all feedback.

I think a complete new listing is what helps the most plus a few other touches . I had a theme locket necklace listed that recently  wasn't generating  much interest as far as views. So I tweaked it a little ,, added more color and a few extra theme related charms ,, took the new photos , removed the old photos and  posted the new and improved product . I've done this type of thing many times  with my jewelry and it usually ends in a sale . However this time  not much improvement  in views . So I took down the listing all together and then created a new one . Now the necklace has gained two watchers in just a few days.. Tulips

Message 29 of 31
latest reply

When I click on the box with my total listing, it highlights, but there is no edit option.

I can select edit on each listing individually and that would be time-consuming but I will do it.  I don't see what you are talking about.

Message 30 of 31
latest reply