cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refunds, Non Payers and Shipping Damages

As an eBay Seller beginning in 1997...I've seen many many system/policy changes out on eBay. Some of my selling years more active than others. Now in my retirement state have been much more active this past year. 

I am mirroring some of the comments made by Tag Line "Refunds Oh My" AND am looking for some guidance/thoughts from the community.

I too have seen a rise in non-payers and issues where Seller backing seems not to exist.  Trying to keep my Top Rating is more more difficult when it is a Buyer's world. 

Points/Question:

1) When I cancel...depending on circumstances...I get a defect marked. I've appealed these through the policy process and eBay's first response ALWAYS is denied. I then continue to contact Customer Service and finally get someone to listen. Then I have to monitor for weeks to see if it indeed does get reversed from my defects report. 

2) Defects also show up when I've had to VOID a shipping label for whatever reason. The defect tracks on the VOIDED label...showing that tracking was not loaded/delivered. Again...trying to keep a stellar rating is exhausting!

3) ON SHIPPING...used to be in years past... when an item was bought and the buyer did not want to extra expense of INSURANCE..."they" took that risk. Now I have seen an uptick in DAMAGED items via the USPS. The buyer gets a item damaged during shipping -they request REFUND-  I get a HOLD on my funds and need to work through that. In many cases I do shipping priority so have included insurance BUT still am required to provide refund or eBay will. Again, these refunds show as DEFECTS on my selling record. THIS IS MY QUESTION to all Sellers...do you file the claim for items damaged in shipping for the buyer? I have tried this for 3 items the past couple of months and the USPS says I need to bring in the damaged box/shipping materials before USPS refund is issued (which the buyer has of course) . I have generated an APPEAL through USPS but their policies say otherwise. QUESTIONS is...HOW DO YOU MANAGED broken in transit items and not hit the pocket book?? 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Refunds, Non Payers and Shipping Damages

1) When I cancel...depending on circumstances...I get a defect marked.

You're being too honest.  Double check the drop-down menu again.

2) Defects also show up when I've had to VOID a shipping label for whatever reason. The defect tracks on the VOIDED label...showing that tracking was not loaded/delivered. Again...trying to keep a stellar rating is exhausting!

Do you reprint a new label after voiding the first label?  This does not make sense.  When I void a label it is because the weight was incorrect, thus I void the label and then create a new label.  I have not received any of what you state.  What are you doing differently?

3) ON SHIPPING...used to be in years past... when an item was bought and the buyer did not want to extra expense of INSURANCE..."they" took that risk. Now I have seen an uptick in DAMAGED items via the USPS.

Package better----this is the obvious.  "Macho Man" Randy Savage (wrestler) said the only health insurance to avoid getting banged up in the ring was this: He then flexed his muscles and stuck his tongue out, then grabbed his sun-visor...oh yeah!  You have to packaged items better to avoid the USPS messing it up, more bubbles, double thick boxes..  Start using FedEx or UPS for larger items.  Who cares what the buyer could or should do, you own the gold, you create the rules.  Package better.

The buyer gets a item damaged during shipping -they request REFUND- I get a HOLD on my funds and need to work through that. THIS IS MY QUESTION to all Sellers...do you file the claim for items damaged in shipping for the buyer?

Only once when FedEx lost a package, they paid me right away with a check after showing written proof and market value.  If damaged, you have to show proof it is and the item returned to your possession---claims are for the seller, not the buyer.  The eBay "thing" with holds is because they are working with a bank now.  Again, to push this back, build a reserve and sell 50 times more so that holds & refunds are a much smaller issue vs. the enlarged cash flow coming in.  Good luck.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Appreciate all the insight...ANRESA's ATTIC

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I have tried this for 3 items the past couple of months and the USPS says I need to bring in the damaged box/shipping materials before USPS refund is issued (which the buyer has of course) .

@anresasattic 

That seems to be more of a requirement of late, likely to limit the losses for the USPS.  I have had a few "claims" over the years with USPS for damage.  I filed online, provided photos with the assistance of the buyer, and the claim was paid by a check in the mail in a week or two.  I never required the buyer to "wait" for a refund contingent on USPS reimbursement. 

If you are met with the situation of having to bring the damaged item to the Post Office you basically need the assistance of your buyer.  If they ship it back to you instead, the insurance coverage no longer applies.  There is NO requirement by eBay that says the buyers have to oblige, and they will get a refund from your proceeds anyway.  

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

USPS has no way to know buyer shipped it back to you. 

Never use a cancel reason that gives you a defect.  

Message 5 of 5
latest reply