cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovering eBay Seller fees on a returned item

I am returning to selling after taking a break. I am new to the new selling policy on eBay. The new Final Value Fee is mind blowing. My question is: If a buyer wants to return an item, will I recover my seller Final Value fee from eBay? Is it hard to do? 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

eBay will reimburse seller fees as long as they don't have to get involved in the return (i.e. you refund the buyer in the allotted two days after you receive the return), if eBay has to get involved they keep the fees and the seller has to cover the difference. The reimbursement will go to the buyer, not to you. Your part of the buyer's refund will be the amount you received after seller fees plus shipping (if applicable) plus return shipping if the return is a not as described return (if it's a remorse return sellers can require the buyer to pay return shipping).

F.Y.I.: eBay will put your funds on hold if a buyer opens a return until the amount of the return is covered. The funds that are put on hold can only be used by eBay to refund the buyer if they have to get involved, you can't use the held funds to refund your buyer. Your refund will come from either your available funds (if you have enough to cover it) or your backup payment method. After you refund the buyer eBay will then release the funds they put on hold and you'll receive them in your next payout.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

You get everything back except 30 cents. You won't get back the shipping fees. Spend some time reading posts here to get  you up to speed.  Check out the postal website to learn the new surcharges on oversize boxes.  Also make sure that you have a measuring tape and a good postal scale.  You can get a decent scale here for around 30 dollars. Make sure its a seller in the USA.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Pretty much if the buyer is dishonest and clever enough (and it doesn't take much on buyer-biased ebay), Ebay will screw you out of return shipping and/or fees.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@subidapter wrote:

Pretty much if the buyer is dishonest and clever enough (and it doesn't take much on buyer-biased ebay), Ebay will screw you out of return shipping and/or fees.

How is ebay "screwing" the seller on return shipping on a return???

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply