cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recourse on appealing a failed sneaker authenticity ruling?

Hello,

I don't typically sell sneakers, and the few pairs I've sold in the past have just been shoes I never ended up wearing. I sold one pair of "Jordan's" a year or two ago that went through an authenticity center in NY without any problems.

On 06/02 I sold a pair of Nike's I purchased over 6 years ago (still have original receipt) from a Finish Line store. I've never worn them. I've never displayed them. They have sat in the box unworn and unused.

I took the most photos allowed (12) and accurately described them. When they sold I was requested to ship them to an authenticator in Las Vegas (is this new? It used to be NY).

Today I got a generic e-mail telling me the inspection failed for the below reason:

Hi [Me],

Our authentication partner received your item but, unfortunately, it didn’t pass the inspection. We’re refunding the buyer $250.00 and will seek reimbursement of this amount from you. Below you’ll find our authenticator’s notes about your item:

The shoe condition is showing more wear than what was represented in the listing images or description.
We recommend relisting with a more accurate description and detailed photos to avoid a similar outcome in the future.

^ Do I have any options? They are literally brand new. They have never been worn or even tried on. There is no wear to speak of.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Recourse on appealing a failed sneaker authenticity ruling?

And to make it worse, I just tried to contact the buyer to make sure they are aware of the situation, that I think the authenticator made an error, that the buyer will receive a refund from eBay shortly AND of course, eBay has disabled messaging for this transaction:

Messaging is turned off for sneakers covered by Authenticity Guarantee.

^ with a link that takes you to the authenticity Q&A with no more details on why you can't message the buyer other than:

Why can’t I message the buyer after I sell my shoes?

Messaging capability is turned off at the point of purchase, at which time your buyer will receive all tracking information and notifications through the eBay platform. 

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Well the item failed over description, so at least it was not said to be fake.

That is good. Hope you get back what you sent.

Edited to add: They are saying they are not new is the result of this ruling< and you don't get to appeal it.

Looked at your listing...

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

^ Thank you for reminding me to add a link to the listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154811511720

Will there be at least a brief explanation? I bought three pairs of these directly from FinishLine over 6 years ago and have the original receipt and invoice. They are the school colors of the local University near where I lived (UMaine) at the time and thought I'd keep a pair to wear (I did), give one to a relative, and keep/store the other pair unused (That's the pair I listed).

These have NEVER been tried on or worn and have been in my possession since roughly 9/3/2015 when they were ordered.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@bangordiscount wrote:

We recommend relisting with a more accurate description and detailed photos to avoid a similar outcome in the future.

^ Do I have any options?

It tells you right there.

Looking at the photos, looks like there are a few scuff marks which is not mentioned in the description.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Difficult to see the bottom of the shoes in you listing: The box shows wear for sure and even that can get such as NEW a fail...

There have been problems with this authinticator: and as I said I hope you get your items back>

Oh and the buyer was notified as soon as you were...

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

@bangordiscount wrote:

^ Do I have any options?

It tells you right there.

Looking at the photos, looks like there are a few scuff marks which is not mentioned in the description.

Oh, wow! You're still blessing the forums 🙄

Always love to be critiqued by people who have never publicly shared what they sell or shared their listings.

Can you elaborate on these scuffs? Thanks in advance!

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@donsdetour wrote:

Difficult to see the bottom of the shoes in you listing: The box shows wear for sure and even that can get such as NEW a fail...

There have been problems with this authinticator: and as I said I hope you get your items back>

Oh and the buyer was notified as soon as you were...

The box is probably 9 years old. If I've had them since 9/2015, and Finish Line was selling them as a clearance item, I'm sure they'd been sitting in their warehouse inventory for a year or two. I didn't list it as "MINT" or graded, just that is was new, and here is my description from the listing:

These sneakers are from my personal collection; they were purchased new in 2015 and have never been worn. The sneakers are Men's size 11.5 and are Ink/Aluminum-White-Black in color. It appears that the shoes may have very minor signs of aging consistent with the year (see pictures). These shoes have been stored in the original shoe box (included in the listing). The box is in very good condition for the year. Please contact me directly with any questions about the condition prior to purchasing.

And you can't see the bottom of the sneakers from the sixth user provided photo? Maybe next time I can add more... oh wait

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

They are used, never worn sneakers.

new. (nu, nyu) adj. -er, -est, adv., n. adj. 1. of recent origin, production, purchase, etc.

Your sneakers are neither of recent origin, a recent production, or a recent purchase.

krazzykats_0-1654711695397.png

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

My opinion only, FWIW:

I don't sell sneakers, so I'm not speaking from any sort of experience as to shoes specifically when it comes to them being collectible. If shoe collectors are like collectors of vintage toys and other items, the box is as important, if not more so, than the item inside the box.

I do  sell vintage items, and sometimes I'll get "new" items that may be 20-50+ years old.  I list them as used and in the description call them new old stock.

I would only dare call something new if it were only a year old or so.  At nine+ years old I would have called the shoes used, new old stock, never worn with wear/soiling/damage to the box.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

^ I guess I should have included the title of my listing as well for the last two posters:

New! Men's Nike Air Max LTD 3 TXT Sneakers (746379 500) Size 11.5; 6+ years old

Look, I've been selling here since 1999. For at least 15 years the bulk of my sales was collectibles, mainly video games.

"New", in regards to condition, has nothing to do as a factor of when they were produced for collectables. You can quote a dictionary till your blue in the face and you'll still be wrong in this application.

Perhaps sneakers should be treated like car parts, and "new, old stock" would have been more appropriate but that isn't a condition option.

These are the only options:

Condition:

New with box

A brand-new, unused, and unworn item (including handmade items) in the original packaging (such as the original box or bag) and/or with the original tags attached.

New without box

A brand-new, unused, and unworn item (including handmade items) that is not in original packaging or may be missing original packaging materials (such as the original box or bag). The original tags may not be attached. For example, new shoes (with absolutely no signs of wear) that are no longer in their original box fall into this category.

New with defects

A brand-new, unused, and unworn item. Possible cosmetic imperfections range from natural color variations to scuffs, cuts or nicks, hanging threads or missing buttons that occasionally occur during the manufacturing or delivery process. The apparel may contain irregular or mismarked size tags. The item may be missing the original packaging materials (such as original box or tag). New factory seconds and/or new irregular items may fall into this category. The original tags may or may not be attached. See the seller's listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

Pre-owned

An item that has been used or worn previously. See the seller's listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

I'll have to get these back and list them as "new with defects" to satisfy the authenticator and a wall of blanket text to go along with it.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Same thing just happened to me with my Nike Air AutoMax Infrareds. Shoes was never worn, new with original box & charger. As soon as shoes got to authenticator they hit me with the same **bleep**. I really believe authenticators are getting expensive products and all of a sudden your shoes are now lost in shipping with no available tracking info. This new authenticator hub just open up a new third party of thieves to screw sellers out of high price shoes. I'm deleting eBay app & never buying a single item after this. 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

I asked the same questions. Why can't sellers message or send picks of shoes being put in shipping box showing new condition to cover yourself with buyer. Anything can happen when your items go to a third party thievery hub. Authenticator can put your new deadstock shoes on a do a Tom Cruise slide across the warehouse & say "not as described". SMDH

Then if authenticator wants your shoes they never update shipping info to return your shoes back to you. You as the seller have to issue a refund because authenticator damages or wants your shoes. Lol

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Find A Flaw

Message 14 of 14
latest reply