cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question why am I paying a fee for taxes and shipping?

I'm feeling discouraged trying to sell on Ebay anymore I know there are fees but it just feels like it never ends there's a fee for everything and it's not just Ebay, maybe there's a good reason Ebay is charging a fee on taxes and shipping but I'm just not feeling it 😞

Message 1 of 129
latest reply
128 REPLIES 128

Re: Question why am I paying a fee for taxes and shipping?

@157th-boomer wrote:

I recently sold an item for $150.00.  The shipping and sales tax on the buyers end was $38.00.  So, I was charged a final value fee on $188.00 which added to  $25.28 that came out of my proceeds.  I ended up with $125.00 from this sale.  A ripoff!  I am done with eBay as a seller.  There are no incentives to sell here anymore.  

You can check your math and see the actual charged in the details of your Managed Payment account.  This is nothing new, since the day you entered MP, you were charged 13.25% on the total amount paid by the buyer.  

$188 x 13.25% = $24.91 plus the 30 cent per transaction fee is $25.21.  The small difference from what you said above is likely the actual number the buyer paid you [odd cents].

So you ended up with $125.00 divided by $150.00 = 83.333% profit before your other costs of sale.  That is pretty good stuff.  I'm not at all sure what you are complaining about.  

I'm unsure as to what you are expecting.  You used Ebay's services.  Now you don't like what you were charged.  Ebay doesn't hide these fees.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 76 of 129
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

No need for an apology.  

I'm 100% sure that you believe that but I accepted it for you anyway.

Message 77 of 129
latest reply

#1) Because that what ebay wants.

#2) Because that's what you agreed to.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 78 of 129
latest reply

@best*fragrances2016 wrote:

I’m thinking about the same thing. When PayPal used to be the one processing payment, the fees used to be lower. I will be deleting my listing gradually because the fees are ridiculous. I’m losing too much money. I’ll go somewhere else. 

When Pay Pal processed payments, the total fees were 13%.

Now they are 13.25% in most categories.

If that .25% is causing you to loos to much money, you're doing something wrong.

Have a great day
Message 79 of 129
latest reply

I am not even making the money that I paid for the item. That’s what I’m comfortable about. Other sites that I sell the same item for, I ended up making the money and a little profits. How as a seller ended up paying fees on shipping I don’t make anything at of? I even pay extra on some of my listings for shipping. Bottom line is, eBay is ripping me off big time. 

If you're not pricing your items where you can make a profit, you're ripping yourself off.

Have a great day
Message 80 of 129
latest reply

@157th-boomer wrote:

I recently sold an item for $150.00.  The shipping and sales tax on the buyers end was $38.00.  So, I was charged a final value fee on $188.00 which added to  $25.28 that came out of my proceeds.  I ended up with $125.00 from this sale.  A ripoff!  I am done with eBay as a seller.  There are no incentives to sell here anymore.  

Must not be totally done, you still have 4 listings up.

Have a great day
Message 81 of 129
latest reply

Agree. eBay is double dipping here. They are making tons off its sellers!

Message 82 of 129
latest reply

As long as eBay is making money off of us ( the sellers ) they will continue to find ways get the job done. TRhis is why I love Poshmark. They make it so easy to do business with us. Although their customer service is awful!

Message 83 of 129
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

I’m thinking about the same thing. When PayPal used to be the one processing payment, the fees used to be lower. I will be deleting my listing gradually because the fees are ridiculous. I’m losing too much money. I’ll go somewhere else. 

When Pay Pal processed payments, the total fees were 13%.

Now they are 13.25% in most categories.

If that .25% is causing you to loos to much money, you're doing something wrong.

I agree with you to a point.  You are only slightly off in the numbers.  We were paying 10.2% FVF in most categories back then and of course PP was 2.9%, for a total of 13.10%.  So today we pay 13.25% only a 0.15% difference.

With a slight structure difference.  Ebay is the only site that I'm aware of that charges their full FVF on sales tax.  In fact Amazon and Etsy do not.  

Message 84 of 129
latest reply

@mich865582 wrote:

Agree. eBay is double dipping here. They are making tons off its sellers!

Where?  On what?  Be specific @mich865582 .

Message 85 of 129
latest reply

@mich865582 wrote:

As long as eBay is making money off of us ( the sellers ) they will continue to find ways get the job done. TRhis is why I love Poshmark. They make it so easy to do business with us. Although their customer service is awful!

Ebay is a for profit corporation.  If they can not make money off of selling fees, how do you expect this site to even exist.  It doesn't run itself nor did it create or maintain itself.

If you think Posmark does not make money off of what sells on their site, you'd be wrong.

For all sales under $15, Poshmark takes a flat commission of $2.95. You keep the rest. For sales of $15 or more, you keep 80% of your sale and Poshmark's commission is 20%. Once your sale has been delivered and received by your buyer, the earnings from your sale are yours.

$2.95 of $15 is a 19.68% Fee.  So the further under $15 the higher the fee percentage is. 

Seems to me that Poshmark is higher in fees than Ebay.  Or am I missing something as I'm not that familiar with Poshmark?

Message 86 of 129
latest reply

SAme difference my friend. 13.25% on postage of which I did not see a dime. I understand there are sellers who try to use postage to make money, but I obviously did not. All postage went to eBay. I wound up making 15.00 on a 25.00 item due to their fees, and I did not even boost my post. VERY discouraging. 

Message 87 of 129
latest reply

Exactly. Honest sellers who only charge the actual shipping get punished to the tune of 13.25%! 

Message 88 of 129
latest reply

@gemcarbonaceous wrote:

SAme difference my friend. 13.25% on postage of which I did not see a dime. I understand there are sellers who try to use postage to make money, but I obviously did not. All postage went to eBay. I wound up making 15.00 on a 25.00 item due to their fees, and I did not even boost my post. VERY discouraging. 

FVF on the total amount received in payment from the buyer is what Ebay charged the FVF on.  Shipping FVF has been a part of that for a DOZEN + years now.  One would easily think that sellers would have been use to this a very long time ago.  All other sites like Ebay also charge their fees on shipping.

It is a seller's responsibility to know the fees and price there products with those in mind plus all their other costs.  So a seller has a choice.  They can charge a handling fee on shipping to cover shipping supplies and fees or they can put it into the price of the product.  Either way is fine, but sellers need to do one or the other unless they are fine with reducing their profit.

There is no need to be discouraged, just price your items within the scope of what is needed.  For me, I charge a reasonable Handling fee on my listings.

Message 89 of 129
latest reply

@gemcarbonaceous wrote:

Exactly. Honest sellers who only charge the actual shipping get punished to the tune of 13.25%! 

@gemcarbonaceous 

So per your statement above you then feel that sellers that cover their costs in the price of the product or add a reasonable handling fee are Dishonest?!?!?  Why?  That makes no sense.  Sellers can and should cover all their costs plus profit in the price and shipping of the item they are trying to sell.  That is simply normal business principles.  Just because you don't like the FVF on shipping doesn't mean it doesn't exist or should not be a cost passed to the buyer.

Message 90 of 129
latest reply