cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on top rated returns 50% refund deduction

If the customer returns an item that was New sealed in box but now is opened and used, It obviously can't be sold as "New" anymore.  How does the 50% refund deduction work?  Does it come out of the buyers pocket or ebay's?

My dilemma is, the product was a 25+ year old toy.  I didn't really expect it to function like it was brand new, it's more of a collectors item.  However, I also didn't mention that anywhere in the listing and the buyer opened it up and apparently tried to play with it.  I don't think this is the buyers fault and I don't want to tag them with a loss.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@tthodgepodge 

If the customer returns an item that was New sealed in box but now is opened and used, It obviously can't be sold as "New" anymore.  How does the 50% refund deduction work? 

If the item is returned to you in a different condition than the buyer received, you can deduct up to 50%. You are supposed to base this decision on how the resale value changed. Since the item is no longer new and sealed, you can deduct up to 50%.

Does it come out of the buyers pocket or ebay's?

The 50% would come out of the (refund) buyer's pocket.

My dilemma is, the product was a 25+ year old toy.  I didn't really expect it to function like it was brand new, it's more of a collectors item.  However, I also didn't mention that anywhere in the listing and the buyer opened it up and apparently tried to play with it.  I don't think this is the buyers fault and I don't want to tag them with a loss.

The choice is yours. I don't get very many returns. I usually don't claim a percentage of the refund when I could unless I suspect a buyer is being dishonest with me.

I have heard (from other posts) customers can complain about the refund being partial and get eBay to refund them the difference in some cases (refunded by ebay, not the seller).

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

If you are eligible to use the "up to 50% reduction" that money comes out of the Buyers pocket. 

What ever amount you refund to the Buyer that is what they get, you keep the rest.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

@tthodgepodge 

If the customer returns an item that was New sealed in box but now is opened and used, It obviously can't be sold as "New" anymore.  How does the 50% refund deduction work? 

If the item is returned to you in a different condition than the buyer received, you can deduct up to 50%. You are supposed to base this decision on how the resale value changed. Since the item is no longer new and sealed, you can deduct up to 50%.

Does it come out of the buyers pocket or ebay's?

The 50% would come out of the (refund) buyer's pocket.

The choice is yours. I don't get very many returns. I usually don't claim a percentage of the refund when I could unless I suspect a buyer is being dishonest with me.

I have heard (from other posts) customers can complain about the refund being partial and get eBay to refund them the difference in some cases (refunded by ebay, not the seller).

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

@tthodgepodge 

My dilemma is, the product was a 25+ year old toy.  I didn't really expect it to function like it was brand new, it's more of a collectors item.  However, I also didn't mention that anywhere in the listing and the buyer opened it up and apparently tried to play with it.

In my opinion, you should have stated this was being sold as a new sealed collectible item and that it may not function as originally intended due to its age.

Without that disclaimer, this item could be considered not as described. If it were me, I would take on the responsibility for not including the disclaimer.  On new old stock items I usually mention included batteries may not function because of age and are not guaranteed to function.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Please note that the 50% deduction is only for buyer remorse reasons (Changed mine, found a better price, etc...)

If you try and short buyer on non buyer remorse you should expect a complaint, and could result in you losing your ability to do partial refunds.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

If you try and short buyer on non buyer remorse you should expect a complaint, and could result in you losing your ability to do partial refunds.

"An item is returned after it was used or damaged by the buyer"- eBay

Any item deliberately damaged by the buyer will be met with whatever deduction eBay allows me. If fraud is suspected there will most likely be police reports and other action. 

I understand ABUSE of refunds is not acceptable. Any abuse of buyers or sellers should not be tolerated. I don't believe the OP is inquiring about or considering abuse of the partial refund policy.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Partial refund on defective item because it's been opened is ridiculous.

How would you even know its defective without opening ?

You can do what you want but the partial shouldn't be done on non remorse, and I'm sticking to that.

If you feel the buyer is being abusive you should report it.

eBay will be paying me everytime someone tries to play that game.

GL

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@dqdistribution 

I've already said I usually don't give partial refunds unless I suspect the buyer is being dishonest. I have been a TRS on eBay for over 20 years and have 1 or 2 returns a year with free returns being offered. As of today, I have never given a partial refund.

So, if I buy a sealed Battlefield game from you and message you:

I just received the sealed game. I didn't see how to remove the packaging, so I used a hammer to open the game. I stuck the pieces in my game console and now my console is ruined. I am returning game for a full refund. I would also like you to send me a new game console or replacement cost (your game ruined it)- Thanks.

1) From what you said, I already know I will get a full refund and not have to worry about a partial refund. Great!

2) Are you also going to send me a new console or replacement cost of console?

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

You'd get it for free if you opened a return automatically. And the return and transaction would be closed.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Now I'm going to get abused for stating I use automatic refunds. Oh noes.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

I was thinking that but didn't want to bring attention to the matter. Oops! Too late now 🙄

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

It's fine, I'm just setting up this account for new business. It's pretty fresh, and all the product was given to me free.

But really, you may be experienced and limit your partials especially on INAD,  newer less experienced sellers will get themselves in trouble for sending partials for defective stuff.

Ebay has internal metrics for their out of pocket reimbursements, and it's much more likely to get a complaint to ebay for non remorse and ebay will always side with buyer on it.

However, if they opened it and changed their mind, or don't like, or found a better price. It's completely reasonable to partial if you lost value on the item for those reasons.

I have an example of an ebike I bought. It had a defective battery (it was around 350 dollars ). I didn't realize that the battery was defective after a bit of use and the battery would hold a charge.

Manufacture told me to return, and couldn't do anything with them since the ebay seller wasn't an authorized seller.

So I opened a return and sent it back. I was given a 50% partial refund, because it was used, and loss value.

Yeah no, only took 10 minutes to get my full refund from an eBay CS rep. I wonder how much eBay likes to do those payouts out of their pocket.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

My Spidey senses tell me you are a good an honest buyer/seller. I would say over 99% of my eBay experiences as seller have been positive with good honest buyers. Almost the same experience as a buyer. As a buyer, eBays Money Back Guarantee has always come to the rescue.

As far as eBay protections, I would much rather be a buyer than a seller. That being said, I read about more bad seller experiences then I actually experience.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Yeah, buyer protections will probably always be much better than seller protections simply because if they were removed the only real protections that would still exist would be buyer protections.

All forms of electronic payment provide security and protection for buyers. The same isn't for sellers, they literally have nothing. 🤔

Based on my eBay experience for all my time over the many years (and multiple accounts). I have so far experienced much more honesty with the buyers than with the sellers.

However, I will note that I purchase from the worst-rated sellers (I go based on the lowest price for what I'm looking for exactly). I do this because I trust and rely on eBay's MBG to make sure I get what I order or my money back.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Also keep in mind that with partial refunds with seller protection ebay still keeps the entire final value fee they collected on the original total sale price.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply