cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about selling between Christmas and New Years Day

For those of you who in previous years have continued selling during the week starting with Christmas Day through New Years Day, did you have better luck or worse luck during those 7 or 8 days, or was it about the same as usual for you?

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Better for me. I sell in categories where buyers are mostly purchasing items for themselves.  So maybe for Christmas  they got some cash gifts to spend on themselves.  Also many people have time off that they can use to shop online after the big rush of the holidays.

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

Same here...I usually do quite well after Christmas and in the early part of January. Although..this December is slower than in past years.

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

Thanks. What about right  on Christmas Day itself? 

Message 4 of 29
latest reply

My first year selling was 2011. I noticed that the first three or so years there was quite a bit of activity between the holidays and into the first week of January. The last several years have been nothing to write home about.

They didn’t say it was your fault. They said they blame you.
Message 5 of 29
latest reply

I don't think everybody is Christian. Furthermore aren't there boring football games on tv?

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

I don't think everybody is Christian. Furthermore aren't there boring football games on tv?

I'm not interested in turning this into a religious discussion, so I'm not going to take the bait. 

And what do football games have to do with my question, other than to hijack the subject?

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

I'm not interested in turning this into a religious discussion, so I'm not going to take the bait. 

So good.

And what do football games have to do with my question, other than to hijack the subject?

So close.

heart

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

@adkhighker wrote:

Thanks. What about right  on Christmas Day itself? 

How about another ebay promotion?

Celebrate Christmas day with ebay,

_____% off. 1 day only

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

I've always been surprised to get a few sales on Christmas Day which is why I usually start listing on Dec 23rd after a 7-10 day break.   I can't remember the last time I haven't gotten  more sales between Christmas and New Years than between Thanksgiving and Christmas, but as others have pointed out most of my buyers are purchasing for themselves.  

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

Yep, I sell mostly collectibles so I've always felt the reason my sales increase after Christmas is because folks are buying for themselves now. Honestly I sell 365 days a year. I close my store when I actually travel and am away from home. I'm always keeping my things available if anyone wants to buy something. Typically my sales will increase after the holidays so looking forward to this year as this month has been very slow for me.
Best of luck selling....
Message 11 of 29
latest reply

@adkhighker wrote:

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth      was only giving you a couple reasons why buyers might be shopping on eBay instead of other traditional activities exercised on that day.

Take a deep breathe, and relax.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

I expect the week of Christmas and all of January to be good. It was last year and the year before.
Message 13 of 29
latest reply

@dirk12955 wrote:
I expect the week of Christmas and all of January to be good. It was last year and the year before.

That is exactly my experiences as well.  I am usually good right through January.  I do have popular items for spring in stock now so hopefully I can concentrate on that area when my slow down starts.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

@adkhighker wrote:

For those of you who in previous years have continued selling during the week starting with Christmas Day through New Years Day, did you have better luck or worse luck during those 7 or 8 days, or was it about the same as usual for you?

That period of time is usually good for me.  I only sell Christmas items and my store is open 365 days a year.  I started doing markdowns today and will finish tomorrow.  My experience is that buyers buy gifts for giving early to mid December and come back shopping for themselves, and looking for a good deal, Dec 24th all the way through the first week in Jan.  The 24th looks especially promising because Federal employees will be off.   

Message 15 of 29
latest reply