cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about requiring immediate payment on BIN best offer listings

If a seller requires immediate payment for Buy It Now where Make An Offer is an option on that listing are buyers who make an offer obligated to pay immediately if the seller accepts the offer?  Or is the immediate payment only required for a buyer who pays the full BIN price on a Make An Offer listing where IPR is set?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Question about requiring immediate payment on BIN best offer listings

I believe that all buyers now have to enter payment info, so your accepted offer would be paid immediately, too.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

IPR applies only to the full buy it now price.

That said, eBay's been rolling out auto-pay on offers. Read more in the last seller update for the status of which offers enable auto-pay and which offer types haven't been switched over yet.

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/resources/seller-updates/2023-fall/business

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

There are two different requirements.

Immediate payment on BIN which is selected in the listing, and Immediate Payment for an Offer which is selected in buyer preferences.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

So if I want anyone paying the full BIN price to pay immediately, but allowing anyone making an offer to not to have to pay immediately, then should I uncheck the "Require buyers to provide a payment method before they make an offer" in my buyer preferences while checking the "Require immediate payment when buyer uses Buy It Now" option in my listing preferences?

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@nomore_1940 wrote:

So if I want anyone paying the full BIN price to pay immediately, but allowing anyone making an offer to not to have to pay immediately, then should I uncheck the "Require buyers to provide a payment method before they make an offer" in my buyer preferences while checking the "Require immediate payment when buyer uses Buy It Now" option in my listing preferences?

Yes, that's how it would work.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Curious why you would even do that? 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

Because with eBay's latest rule changes of allowing sellers to  to require "offer making" buyers to link their PayPal account or credit card to eBay before they can make an offer, it could turn off a good number of buyers from going through with making an offer.  Not all buyers want to give eBay permission to access their money automatically for purchases, and once they do, it usually becomes a default permission for future purchases without the buyers knowing it, from what I've read about it anyway. 

OTOH for anyone willing to pay the full BIN on a make offer listing I feel it's better to require immediate payment from them, rather than taking a chance on anyone out there who can simply hit the BIN full price and then not pay right away or not pay at all for whatever reason.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

Because with eBay's latest rule changes of allowing sellers to  to require "offer making" buyers to link their PayPal account or credit card to eBay before they can make an offer, it could turn off a good number of buyers from going through with making an offer.  Not all buyers want to give eBay permission to access their money automatically for purchases, and once they do, it usually becomes a default permission for future purchases without the buyers knowing it, from what I've read about it anyway. 

Tend to agree on the issues with the default as some buyers want to pay for different items from different accounts and eBay needs to work on that issue. It should not be that difficult of a change to confirm the payment method each time a buyer places a bid or makes an offer. 

Mixed feelings on whether it would or would not turn off buyers but if eBay fixed the payment selection choice and did away with the default not sure if it would be that big of an impact to buyers being turned off.   No more so that with BIN/IPR especially with the OBO scenario. 

I have a bigger concern with auctions, which I use almost exclusively, where the bid may have been placed early in the auction and a LOT of things can happen between the time the bidder placed the bid and the time the auction closes. While I don't get a lot of non-payers and I currently have the option turned off to require advance payment method I have always liked the 4 day wait period. It helps in situations where the buyer may have changed their mind, found it cheaper elsewhere, been hit by a natural disaster, had a family or medical emergency or simply died. 

OTOH for anyone willing to pay the full BIN on a make offer listing I feel it's better to require immediate payment from them, rather than taking a chance on anyone out there who can simply hit the BIN full price and then not pay right away or not pay at all for whatever reason.

I cannot disagree with the logic on that which is probably why eBay implemented the IPR capability. 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply