cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Puzzling & disappointing collectible

It puzzles me to as why these are not more popular.  1984 Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars stickers.  I have a nice stack of these.  40 years old.  It's superhero / comic book stuff.  Tough market for them.  Especially after the all out success of the Marvel movies?  Guess I need to wait for the 'Secret Wars' films?  Most collectibles from the 80s seem to be popular.  I guess it only applies to toys, figures, video games & GPK stuff?  I'll wait until they get 'hot' ??  lol  Enjoy your weekend, folks.

doom.jpg

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Me too, have a sealed collection of what was once a highly popular music artist band that just had their 50 year anniversary and it is very rare due to they broke up like 30 years ago, almost no interest. Yes I get a few views and granted it is CD's so that's probably why (I guess I should've concentrated on vinyl lol) but just like yourself I am deeply puzzled by the almost absolute lack of interest.

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

@sakic92710 wrote:

It puzzles me to as why these are not more popular.  1984 Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars stickers.  I have a nice stack of these.  40 years old.  It's superhero / comic book stuff.  Tough market for them.  Especially after the all out success of the Marvel movies?  Guess I need to wait for the 'Secret Wars' films?  Most collectibles from the 80s seem to be popular.  I guess it only applies to toys, figures, video games & GPK stuff?  I'll wait until they get 'hot' ??

I would, yes. Definitely if you can tie them to an upcoming Marvel film, wait for that. Any market will ebb and flow over time, and they're just gearing up for the coming summer blockbusters.

In fact, in Chicago this weekend is the Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo ("C2E2"), which is heavily attended and squarely in that area, so if you're not getting the price you want now, you might want to hold off and try listing again in another month or so.

P.S. Are those actually stickers? They look more like plain collectible cards where the backing forms a larger image when you have the whole set arranged face-down, as seen in your photo.

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

It's all about presentation, details, and photos. 

Demand and interest are like a rollercoaster. You can always set a price and entertain offers. It can take time to sell some things. 

Might get these in soft sleeves and top loads. Looks like the average ungraded is around $5.00 each. 

Don't skimp on photos. eBay allows many free photos per listing. 24 photos in the U.S. I would guess that would be the same in Canada.?

You have a Vogue magazine that is probably full of great vintage adds and possibly celebrities. Add them to your listing. I see a button that only shows the front. I would also include the backside.

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

They are stickers.  Some are individual, some need a pair to make the image & some need 4.  

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

Collectables are like picking lotto numbers.  Some can bring in a lot of money and others worthless.  Just have to wait for the market to change.  Often a new movie can trigger sales. 

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

Collectibles is a crazy market, A virtual roller coaster ride, some sellers are dumping great merchandise at ridiculously low prices which actually helps to cheapen the market, making items less appealing to collectors

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

Look up "1984 Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars stickers PSA" you will see a lot of higher grade cards.  Obviously, if you have the key cards in high grade, you probably want to get those graded and then sell individually.   If these are thin stickers and not card stock, then sometimes that's a factor in price.  A collector most of time wants an individual card and not have to get a set of four separate cards to make one image.  It's nice to put just one card in a sleeve and toploader.   If the designs are good, then collectors will love to have the cards. 

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

They've got to be more popular than those Lions Club banners.

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

@sakic92710 

Not intending to be a wet blanket, but one of the problems may simply be Marvel "overexposure."

During Stan Lee's reign at Marvel, everything seemed to be done in a HUGE manner -- everything was "collectible," and Marvel filled the marketplace with way too many comic-related goodies.

I worked in a series of comic book stores from 1988 through 1993, and the level of "Marvel-mania" was just off the charts -- every week, there seemed to be a new, high-level, adrenaline-popping, "hold the presses" major release from Marvel -- and, after a while, it just seemed like so much overkill.

Too many of my younger customers were marching in every week, to purchase every new Marvel comic off the newsstand shelves, while always asking "How much do you think this one will be worth next year?"

A friend of one of my employees came in one day with two long-boxes of exclusively Marvel comics which he'd been collecting for the past several years (mostly X-Men related comics), hoping to cash in his collection in order to pay for his first year in college.  The staff buyer offered him only $50.00 -- why offer big bucks, when there was so much inventory available, not to mention all the excess inventory previously unsold?

So maybe the problem is simply "too much available product, and just not enough interest."

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

Lots of seller wonder why their "hot" product  does not sell.

It is NOT just YOU.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 11 of 31
latest reply

Collecting is a hobby not an investment.

Also demographics.

Those stickers came out in 1984?

So the comic collector who wanted them was born between 19 64 to 1974.

He didn't buy them because his allowance/ pay check wouldn't allow it. Or he did and they got lost when he went to college/got married/moved to California.

Today he is 50 to 60 years old, and he has some loose cash.

I'd offer them to dealers at ComicCons myself.  Fast nickel over the slow dime.

And the show dealer is seeing more buyers every show than your eBay shop in a year.

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

"Hot" products are those that are priced way too cheap & sell fast.  lol

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

@sakic92710 wrote:

"Hot" products are those that are priced way too cheap & sell fast.  lol

Products that actually sell are by definition better than products that just sit around forever, unless you would prefer to run a museum rather than a store.

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

1 of those banners just sold.  I don't care how popular something is.  Just care if I can find the right buyer(s).  As I've always said, no one can say, with certainty, what the buyers want.

Message 15 of 31
latest reply