cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Promoted Listings Advanced Is Here - Including Negative Keywords!

I noticed Promoted Listings Advanced is available in my seller hub this morning.  I'll post screenshots below, but for everyone who was asking - it does include an option to use negative keywords for exclusions!

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

I live near Las Vegas, so If I want to gamble I will go there.

Message 31 of 46
latest reply

Thank you for taking the time and share your experience in this matter.

They never run out of ideas of how to milk more $$$ from the Sellers, 

Hopefully, desperate hopeless sellers would avoid this money grab mechanism. 

Message 32 of 46
latest reply

@flyingmvp wrote:

Thank you for taking the time and share your experience in this matter.

They never run out of ideas of how to milk more $$$ from the Sellers, 

Hopefully, desperate hopeless sellers would avoid this money grab mechanism. 

There is one thing that is a guarantee .... If someone using PLA's isn't REALLY smart about what they are doing, they certainly will know what it's like to be broke. It gets expensive fast. Even at 5 dollars a day, that's 150+ dollars a month. And that 150 dollars isn't a guarantee you are making sales. 

Message 33 of 46
latest reply

The average seller on here who has never dealt with the clicks type program is going to find this extremely complicated and hard to understand. This must have some kind of video tutorial to be accepted and understood by the vast majority of folks. It should have some kind of TEST introduction to see how this stuff works to instill some confidence.

Message 34 of 46
latest reply

@vintagecraze50  Supposedly there is something called "Ad Academy" which will be coming to Seller School pretty soon. Whether that's just going to be a basic "how to", or whether it's actually going to contain real insights, I don't know.

When PL Standard started, there was a promo to entice people to use it.....Frankly, I'm of two minds about a promo for this...on the one hand, it would be nice to have something like: your first $50 worth of clicks is risk free....we'll credit back your first fifty...BUT....I'm not sure it's a good idea to do something like that...ebay needs to find a way to encourage people to try this, but to also discourage people from trying who aren't going to put in the time (and money) to learn how to use this effectively, or who run businesses that are ill-suited to this sort of advertising. Striking that balance isn't easy

Message 35 of 46
latest reply

The answer to the billing question has revealed itself - it looks like the fees are billed per listing at the end of the day following the click and netted from MP balance.

All of these clicks happened throughout the day at various times on 9/17 and they all hit the account right around 11:15 PM Pacific Time on 9/18.

fees.jpg

When I didn't see them coming out immediately like PLS, I had hoped maybe that would mean they would aggregate and be deducted as a lump sum on a set schedule (daily, weekly, or monthly).

I suspected once a month was probably a far fetched idea because eBay had done so much previously to change everything from monthly billing to upfront with other fees, so I couldn't imagine they'd want to wait a month to get paid for these fees too - but I also thought if they did each click individually that could get very messy on the MP reports, especially for large retailers that are most likely to use this type of advertising.

They are grouping all clicks for a listing together, so that is less line items than each individual click, but I can still see it being a little messy if you opt thousands of listings into this and have the budget to get clicks on them all daily.

If that would be a concern, my suggestion would be to use PLA more like a scalpel than a sword - carefully select only a handful of listings most likely to benefit from these types of ads and really focus on optimizing the keywords to get the best conversion rate possible on clicks for those select listings rather than using the shotgun approach of blasting thousands of listings out there just to see what sticks.

Here's what the detail page looks like for both a listing with a single click and one with multiple clicks.

fees5.jpg

fees4.jpg

All of the detail pages say (America/Los_Angeles) which appears to just be showing that the date of 2021-09-17 is based on US Pacific time.  I wanted to note that specifically just so there's no confusion or concern that all of the clicks may have come from the same location.

This is just what I've been able to glean from playing around with it - so as always take it with a grain of salt and other sellers may not see exactly the same thing I am. 😊

I'll also update here if I hear back from eBay with any more official information this week.

Message 36 of 46
latest reply

Agreed, our views are extremely manipulated as it is, I don't trust that this new system would come with any real value. I mean, what's the point of promoting items now that "Advanced Promotions" is being offered.

Money grab.

Message 37 of 46
latest reply

Good that they have the AD ACADEMY. It is really needed. My brother in law has spent over  twenty years teaching people how to use ads, google search etc effectively. Many a success story for people, but also many a failure. He himself ran many test experiments and lost a great deal of money doing this, but he also made a lot as well. The key is being aware of when you are winning and when you are losing and pull out when you are losing. I hope it works for many here.

Message 38 of 46
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques  posted a link to the Ad Academy here, though for me at least right now it's just a sign up page that adds you to a wait list, no access to the content yet.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Promoted-Listings-Advanced-version-Ads-Academy-available-now/m... 

Message 39 of 46
latest reply

Also an interesting note to add - I noticed 2 clicks disappeared between when I ran the report earlier in the day on 9/18 and when I ran it again today.

Here's the first report:

report9-18.jpg

and the second report

report9-19.jpg

The click for $0.12 is gone and one listing that was showing 2 clicks for $0.25 total changed to 1 click for $0.09, meaning a click for $0.16 was also removed.

The adjustment to the clicks was made sometime after I had pulled that report which would have been around 11:30 AM Pacific and when eBay billed for those clicks around 11:15PM Pacific and I can confirm the amount billed did not include those removed clicks.

So this may be some good news for those who are concerned about click fraud? I can't say for sure that was why those clicks were removed, so it would still be nice to have some more clarity from eBay on this, but at least it does appear they are monitoring the clicks and have the ability to adjust them if there is a reason certain clicks shouldn't be counted.

Message 40 of 46
latest reply

Also, they've made this page active now and it gives some more in depth FAQ answers:

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/listing-and-marketing/promoted-listings-advanced.html#m22_tb_a3...

How does eBay handle invalid traffic? Who should I contact if I suspect invalid traffic?

Promoted Listings Advanced traffic is screened by our proprietary detection software, which is designed to help filter invalid traffic in real time. Suspicious traffic that is reported by sellers or partners is eligible for manual review by our team of traffic experts.

In the event manual review detects invalid traffic, a credit will be processed within 1 - 4 weeks.

Note: Campaign reports can take up to 72 hours to reconcile.

Message 41 of 46
latest reply

It looks like the FAQ page now has an official answer about billing.

How will I see charges for my Advanced campaigns?

We combine all clicks a seller receives on a Promoted Listings Advanced ad in a given campaign on a daily basis and sellers are generally charged for these clicks up to 72 hours after the clicks take place.

Your charges are reported at a listing level. From your Payments tab or invoice, you’ll see the campaign ID, click date, total number of clicks, and average cost-per-click per listing.

Message 42 of 46
latest reply

@valueaddedresource  Thanks! Good to know!

I think this is going to be a useful tool for its target audience of sellers. And I hope sellers who are not the intended target stay away from it, because people who don't know what they are doing could waste a lot of money. I know ebay won't mandate successful completion of an Ads Academy "final exam" before allowing someone to use it, but I do wish ebay would stress that this is NOT for everyone. 

As for me, I'm not the target audience for this, and while it might be fun to experiment with it, I'm probably going to wait till after Q4. I've got enough on my plate right now. But if you do play around with it, I hope you'll post your findings here (or on the hopelessly underutilized PLA Discussion Group....)

My basic conclusion: This isn't designed for my type of store, and it really isn't going to have any direct impact on me if other sellers use it. 

Message 43 of 46
latest reply

Seems like it could be costly and if your item is popular already>>>???

Message 44 of 46
latest reply

I feel often that the people in control of changes have no connection to the people they are serving...or  at least the selling half.

Message 45 of 46
latest reply