cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Price Gouging

I am just sickened and completely disgusted by the unbelievable amount of price gouging I'm seeing on eBay during this Covid 19 pandemic.   I now realize why store shelves are picked clean and I've had to scrounge to find paper goods and cleaning products I've used in my home for 40 years!

I have reported countless listings for price gouging but I seem to be noticing a pattern and I wondered if any long-time experienced members could enlighten me.      In most cases, it seems to me new members with 0 to <50 feedback get their price gouging listings removed quite quickly after I have reported.  Members with hundreds or thousands of feedback rarely seem to have their price gouging listings removed.  Does eBay turn a blind eye to old sellers that price gouge but not new sellers?

It also seems eBay is not removing price gouging auctions if there are bids.  I saw one action for 3 cans of Lysol spray (which probably retails for about $5.00 per can) go for $1,025.00 and $35.00 shipping!  I reported it when the bids were around $700, to no avail.  Is it a waste of time to report in-progress auctions for price gouging?

I am also seeing quite a few slick sellers list their items at a somewhat reasonable Buy it Now price but then charge as much as $80 or more for shipping something that probably realistically costs only $10-$15 to ship.  Does eBay look at the shipping fee too when something is being reported as price gouging?   Or would it be better to report excessive shipping rates as Listing Practices/Avoiding eBay Fees (since the seller will pocket money from the shipping fee but eBay won't get their Final Value fee from that shipping fee profit)?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Price Gouging

but eBay won't get their Final Value fee from that shipping fee profit)?

ebay does get a fvf on shipping..........  that said, I doubt most of the outrageous prices are actual paid for sales......some buyers are upping the auction prices for fun......  I know we've seen many mentions of sales of this stuff canceled by ebay after the purchase is made......

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Price Gouging

It's not about price gouging per se, it also takes a lot more than just a report to have a listing removed but a report may get the bots or even a human to look into an account... When that happens new accounts are more likely to have unfulfilled requirements than established accounts, that is a good part of the reason why those listings get pulled. For example it is possible the bots are pulling those account listings simply because they failed to meet certain account requirements (for example bank account verification) and the 'reports' were simply coincidental.

Last but not least, being a powerseller on ebay does come with privileges. Not only does money talk (as the saying goes) but most of those types of sellers have been selling for a long time and are well aware of the rules and know how to play the game and what is expected of them (and what isn't allowed and so on) so yes, it truly is a lot harder to get a powerseller's items removed if only for those reasons.

Now on those cans of Lysol spray...

Just because an auction ended with a sky high winning bid doesn't guarantee the money in that seller's pocket, for one the buyer hasn't paid yet, two they can still file a remorse return, three they might send back an empty box, so seeing this thread let me ask you this:  Are you sure you want to be on the managing and fulfillment end of what I would consider to be high risk items at this time?

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Price Gouging

@dhbookds wrote:

but eBay won't get their Final Value fee from that shipping fee profit)?

ebay does get a fvf on shipping..........  that said, I doubt most of the outrageous prices are actual paid for sales......some buyers are upping the auction prices for fun......  I know we've seen many mentions of sales of this stuff canceled by ebay after the purchase is made......

And thus was born the sport bidder, see how that works...

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Price Gouging

@vrie39 wrote:

Last but not least, being a powerseller on ebay does come with privileges. Not only does money talk (as the saying goes) but most of those types of sellers have been selling for a long time and are well aware of the rules and know how to play the game and what is expected of them (and what isn't allowed and so on) so yes, it truly is a lot harder to get a powerseller's items removed if only for those reasons.

I'm a powerseller, and the exact same rules apply to me and other powersellers as to everyone else. It's much, much harder to be a TRS than it is a powerseller.

The ONLY two benefits to being a powerseller are access to the powerseller board and a seven day wait for negs or neutrals.

That said, if the sellers are from a certain chosen and drooled over Communist country, Ebay will most certainly look the other way while those sellers work scam after scam, racking up bad feedback and dissatisfied customers.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 5 of 5
latest reply