cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential Scammer - Help with buyer requested MBG return on MacBook Air M1

Hello!

I recently started selling things on eBay and, after talking about my great experiences with my sister, she asked me to sell her MacBook Air for her. Using a clear description and detailed photos, I listed it at a fair price with ad promotion and it sold in less than 12 hours! There were a couple of things that seemed odd about the transaction (zero feedback, address formatted strangely with house number in Line 2, buyer using only an initial for their last name) but we exchanged a few messages to confirm shipping address and availability for signature-on-delivery before I shipped it out and went about my merry day.

I packaged the MBA in its original box, inserted that into an oversized air cushion sleeve for shipping laptops, then added bundles of 1/2” bubble wrap to all 6 sides of the item so that it didn’t shift around inside the box too much. 

Package is signed for at 7:09 PM, and I get an eBay Money Back Guarantee Return Request at 7:56 PM. Buyer states “Merry Christmas. Hope you’re doing well. Unfortunately, my screen came damaged. It’s very bad weather over here in the north east, the package was kinda damp. I don’t know if it’s liquid damage or not but i took it to the Apple Store to reset it and they said there’s no warranty on it which I thought it did”

Original listing here

Buyer photos here

AppleCare+ status here

What strikes me as “off” about the situation is that the buyer claims to have received their package, opened it, taken it to an Apple Store (3 nights before Christmas) and then taken it back home to photograph and report within a 45-min time frame. I also did a quick S/N search to make sure that removing the MacBook from FindMy didn’t cancel AC+, and it’s 100% covered still. Looking at the photos that buyer sent, it looks like the finger slot for opening the MacBook on the photo of the bottom of the case has a dent in it. My fear is that the buyer plans to ship back a different MBA in the box and I’m going to have to explain to my disabled sister that I lost her laptop to a scammer. 

I shipped via UPS Ground purchased through eBay and purchased insurance for full sale price. Does anyone have guidance for how I should approach this? I’m sorry if this is too long of a read. Just very nervous because I’ve only sold a few things on eBay and don’t really understand how this whole process works. I haven’t responded to the buyer yet. 

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@madbra-3893 

This is terrible.  I'm so sorry.  You can reach out on social media via Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/ebayForBusiness/

These agents are US CS eBay employees and may better serve you and your situation.  Many positive posts with their ability to be helpful.  In the past they were helpful concerning my issue at hand.  Given it's the holidays you probably won't be able to contact any one until after Monday.  First thing Tuesday morning get hold of these people.  They can help.   Again, very sorry.

Happy Holidays...try to enjoy with your family. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 15 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

My fear is that the buyer plans to ship back a different MBA in the box and I’m going to have to explain to my disabled sister that I lost her laptop to a scammer. 

@madbra-3893 

Well, that is a shame. But you've not totally lost it... don't live in fear. When the buyer opens a Return request, approve it (which will generate a return shipping label) and make sure you don't refund until her laptop is back to you. Godspeed.

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

My first rule is: don't sell anything expensive on here. When you get it back, if it is a different one, report the buyer from the drop down menu next to the order in your seller's hub and contact eBay via FB or X/Twitter. Hopefully they will protect you. Also, you may have the option to only partially refund them 50%.

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

@the-hook-and-the-loop @mtgraves7984  Thanks for responding so quickly! Is there anything else that I should request from the buyer to help with an UPS insurance claim beforehand? Photos of external packaging, item box, etc?

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

Right now, all you can do is accept the return and provide a shipping label, then hope for the best.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 26
latest reply

It couldn't hurt. I'm not too familiar with the insurance claim process these days with UPS. Best to contact them. 

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

Also, you may have the option to only partially refund them 50%.

@madbra-3893 

I don't see that you have the option to reduce the refund as you're not TRS offering 30-Day Returns or a seller offering Free Returns. (Free Returns might be a good idea on the relist, as you'll have that option.) I'm kind of hoping that your item comes back, you can use the Apple Care and resell it.

I can't advise on UPS insurance as I don't ship with them... Sorry. Fingers crossed, however it plays out.

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

Scammers target new sellers or anyone selling "high value item" (especially electronics that can be easily resold).  EBAY will not protect you if you get scammed.

EBAY Money Back Guarantee (supersedes "no returns" policy)  allows customer to claim "defective, not as described, counterfeit" (you will be forced to refund "purchase price + shipping BOTH ways").   Even if customer returns "box of rocks" EBAY will still force you to refund money.   EBAY always rules in favor of the customer and they are NOT forced to prove any claims.

Did you insure through EBAY ShipCover insurer (click on box to add insurance when printing the label)?   I have found they are very good at paying for damage without any hassle.   https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/shipping-items/shipping-insurance?

But if you purchased insurance directly through USPS not sure how you would do insurance claim with USPS (since customer is in possession of the damaged computer).  USPS would need to inspect packaging and item (to determine if faulty packaging is your problem or USPS damaged item).   Go to USPS.com and they have detailed info of requirements.

Sorry this happened to you...

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

@madbra-3893 

Sorry for your situation.  Phones and electronics are the most scammed items on the internet.  I would never sell anything that expensive here on this or any e commerce platform.  As others have stated, accept the return & send the label.  Hopefully you won't get a switch out.  Also, as a new seller, I would be careful selling such expensive items right off the bat.  eBay will ask you for tracking and most likely receipts for those items you sold.  Lots of stolen merchandise here on this venue and eBay is cracking down, as the law is leaning on them hard.  Please be careful and protect yourself.  You need to add in your listing that you accept returns, as thieves can work around your no returns policy.  On eBay, no returns does not mean no refunds.   

Good luck and Happy Holidays

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

Thanks for all of your responses. So far, the buyer is keeping communication open and seems to be working with me so I’m feeling better about the situation. The odd thing is, after accepting the return and choosing the eBay provided return label, they defaulted to FedEx return shipping. Is that normal? I assumed that they would use the same carrier that I chose for original shipping. 

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

(zero feedback, address formatted strangely with house number in Line 2, buyer using only an initial for their last name) 

@madbra-3893 

To what city/state did you ship the computer?  Delaware perhaps?  Is that address that of a Freight Forwarder by chance? (google it)

With a Zero feedback buyer you cannot readily see their feedback page that tells in what country they are registered, but you can find out.   For example, here is the link to YOUR feedback page that is obtained by clicking on the (2) under your name: 

https://feedback.ebay.com/fdbk/feedback_profile/madbra-3893?&ssPageName=STRK:ME:UFS

If you remove your ID after the / and before the ?  and insert the ID of your buyer you can go to that page. 

The scenario and concerns you are describing fit a particular pattern, for which you can possibly be a bit proactive before it gets worse.  

Know that buyers don't have to ship YOUR item back before eBay will refund them from your proceeds. There is no seller protection for faulty returns, but there may be some protections available to you if this involves shipping to a freight forwarder.  

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

Hi! It was in North Babylon, NY. It does seem consistent with what I’m hearing about **bleep**, but I’ve already accepted the return and issued a shipping label. I guess that I’ll just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. 

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

I spoke with the buyer, approved the return, issued an eBay return label and then got a notice a couple of hours later that a case had been opened and immediately closed with a full refund to the buyer. There is no longer any information regarding the return, just an option to appeal the outcome to the case. I mentioned verifying that the serial number on the item returned needed to match the serial number on the listing and the box in my message, which might have spooked them? Do you know if eBay has a phone number that I can call to figure out what happened? Very confused. 

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

@madbra-3893 wrote:

@the-hook-and-the-loop @mtgraves7984  Thanks for responding so quickly! Is there anything else that I should request from the buyer to help with an UPS insurance claim beforehand? Photos of external packaging, item box, etc?

If you want to try an insurance claim:

Ask the buyer for a few pictures of the item and package, then refund the buyer.
Have the buyer hang on to the item and package so it can be inspected.
You file a claim with the carrier.

Have a great day
Message 14 of 26
latest reply

@madbra-3893 

This is terrible.  I'm so sorry.  You can reach out on social media via Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/ebayForBusiness/

These agents are US CS eBay employees and may better serve you and your situation.  Many positive posts with their ability to be helpful.  In the past they were helpful concerning my issue at hand.  Given it's the holidays you probably won't be able to contact any one until after Monday.  First thing Tuesday morning get hold of these people.  They can help.   Again, very sorry.

Happy Holidays...try to enjoy with your family. 

Message 15 of 26
latest reply