cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential Fraud Buy

Sold an item last night for $129.99. Was about to print the shipping label when I noticed the address was a bit odd.. appears to be a random bowling alley in Delaware. Did a search on Google and the exact address came up in scams involving Chinese buyers purchasing items, then after 90 days claiming the item never arrived and getting refunds.

What's my play here? I don't want to ship this item. How do I properly cancel this order, notify eBay of a potential fraudulent buyer and relist my item without getting dinged?

Message 1 of 67
latest reply
66 REPLIES 66

Potential Fraud Buy

@watervsanchor wrote:
Thanks! I'm going to go ahead and ship this item and hope for the best. As you all said, the buyer is verified.. it's not right for me to cancel an order just because I'm assuming I'm going to get scammed. Hopefully all goes well and if not hopefully eBay/Paypal will back me up (Big hopefully there)

Do wht you feel is best?

Not sre why you feel being verified will protect you?

Message 16 of 67
latest reply

Potential Fraud Buy

It doesn't necessarily, but because eBay is so kind to sellers I'd prefer not to ding my account just because I assume I'm going to get screwed. I shipped to a reshipper once before for a significantly more expensive item and it turned out just fine so.. Though after looking up the address, it's actually a discount outlet so it may not actually get reshipped, just resold at a profit. *shrugs*

Message 17 of 67
latest reply

Potential Fraud Buy

@watervsanchor wrote:
Thanks! I'm going to go ahead and ship this item and hope for the best. As you all said, the buyer is verified.. it's not right for me to cancel an order just because I'm assuming I'm going to get scammed. Hopefully all goes well and if not hopefully eBay/Paypal will back me up (Big hopefully there)

Just save everything related to this transaction. I would screen shot the tracking as soon as the item is delivered. I would screen shot anything ON paypal showing the item was delivered too, its been a while since I looked but if paypal shows tracking statuses, screen shot that. Print paper copies too if you think its necessary. That way you have proof to submit if the buyer files an INR after the tracking has been purged. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 18 of 67
latest reply

Potential Fraud Buy

@missjen316 wrote:

@watervsanchor wrote:

Just save everything related to this transaction. I would screen shot the tracking as soon as the item is delivered. I would screen shot anything ON paypal showing the item was delivered too, its been a while since I looked but if paypal shows tracking statuses, screen shot that. Print paper copies too if you think its necessary. That way you have proof to submit if the buyer files an INR after the tracking has been purged. 

And what happens if he files SNAD?

Message 19 of 67
latest reply

Potential Fraud Buy

What happens when anyone files a SNAD? Isn't that the supposed "unbeatable" buyer claim?
Message 20 of 67
latest reply

Potential Fraud Buy

@watervsanchor wrote:
What happens when anyone files a SNAD? Isn't that the supposed "unbeatable" buyer claim?

SNAD is another story. You would be saving all your records to help win an INR filed after the tracking is gone. SNADS are whole other ball game. If they file an SNAD chargeback you are pretty much screwed. No PP seller protection and they generally don't even fight those (although a seller did come to the board after winning an ebay snad and then getting hit with an snad chargeback and she says she won the chargeback). If its a paypal SNAD dispute and NOT a chargeback, you aren't necessarily screwed. I would fight it on the basis that its been this many months since the sale occured and the buyer used a forwarding service. Using a forwarder doesn't negate buyer protection but I would certainly make sure PP knows the buyer used one. You never know, it may help you win the dispute.

Message 21 of 67
latest reply

Potential Fraud Buy

@watervsanchor wrote:

In my case I sell expensive fine diamond jewelry.

I sell US only except for a few long time buyers where I use all the bells and whistles FED EX has to offer.

Personally, I will do whatever I can when I see  a reshipper.  I know that on  $4,000 item he can pay the $100 or so to send me back a piece of jewelry from the gum ball machine.

I simply refuse to take that chance knowing that paypal does not have my back and many of the long time sellers here have admitted there is nothing you can do about it.

Message 22 of 67
latest reply

Potential Fraud Buy

If it is a re-shipper, they lose their buyer's protection.

Message 23 of 67
latest reply

Potential Fraud Buy

True, but they only lose their eBay buyer protection. They still have PayPal buyer protection and credit card chargeback rights. These scammers are filing cases 90+ days later. 

Message 24 of 67
latest reply

Potential Fraud Buy

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

If it is a re-shipper, they lose their buyer's protection.

Not on paypal, they dont.

Message 25 of 67
latest reply

Potential Fraud Buy

My son and DIL have Amex.

They have up to a year to do a chargeback.

Message 26 of 67
latest reply

Potential Fraud Buy

@emerald40 wrote:

My son and DIL have Amex.

They have up to a year to do a chargeback.

Not sure if it applies to all MasterCards but I know of some MCs that actually have no set timeframe. You can file a CB at anytime and MC will evaluate the situation and decide whether or not to grant it.

Message 27 of 67
latest reply

Potential Fraud Buy

missjen, you are right.

Message 28 of 67
latest reply

Potential Fraud Buy

emerald, you are right

Message 29 of 67
latest reply

Potential Fraud Buy

Seems like for the most part eBay is just rolling the dice that you don't get a dishonest buyer. I've been lucky so far and the ONLY return request I've ever gotten was because *I* made a mistake.

Message 30 of 67
latest reply