cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible virus, scam

Just wanted to warn people

I sold 5 items Friday night.  I checked papal account.  Money on hold.  (Never had money held even when I first started selling) so, clicked on expected release date:. 1969! Ok, don't panic, it was late, call Sat.  I checked again, same issue.  Figured a glitch.  Funds were paid (still on hold).  Decided to print labels first.  I had PayPal and eBay open.  When I hit print, my computer froze, huge warning " you are being hacked, all accounts compromised, call Microsoft, do not turn off computer". In addition it was " screaming" that at me.  I know the phone scams, never saw this.  Luckily, I was able to turn off computer.  Took it to my IT service.  I was more freaking out because I had PayPals site up, with customers names addresses.  IT guy said it was okay, I cut their ability to go far.  Yes a virus got loaded on computer, possibly through PayPal or eBay, but never will know.  I called PayPal, first, yes, date was a glitch.  But no way the virus came from their site.  Called eBay.  Impossible..  Went on PayPal through phone.  Somehow they (scammers) we're able to add my mom's card to my PayPal account and charged it 300.00.  and remove my bank account info!! Back to PayPal, yes they are investigating.  So in that short of time, they could do that.  Spent all day changing passwords, etc.

No proof how the virus got in.  I have firewalls, don't click links I don't know, all email on phone.  I know people are smart, but panic is a funny thing.  

Just wanted to let people know.  I can't figure out how they got moms credit card.  I have no access, she doesn't bank online, and doesn't get PayPal.  I pray PayPal finds it was unauthorized.  Or my sales just went down drain.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Possible virus, scam

@tadpoletrading wrote:

I sold 5 items Friday night.  I checked paypal account.  Money on hold.  (Never had money held even when I first started selling) so, clicked on expected release date:. 1969! Ok, don't panic, it was late, call Sat.  I checked again, same issue.  Figured a glitch.  

It was; it's a glitch occasionally seen on PayPal when their expected payment clearing date doesn't calculate correctly. A Linux operating system counts from January 1, 1970 as being its nominal "Day 0" from which all later dates are counted. If its own system fails to provide the correct date number for today, it tries to work with "Day 0" instead. It calculates using Greenwich Mean Time, which you're a few hours behind, so instead of telling you that the payments are expected to clear on January 1, 1970, it backs it up to your time zone and tells you that your clearance date will be December 31, 1969.

Funds were paid (still on hold).  Decided to print labels first. 

I would not suggest doing that before the payment(s) actually clear. Even if you had a Ship-To address to work with, there's no point in buying postage on a pending payment that might get cancelled. If that doesn't happen soon enough, you'd have to wait a lot longer for the USPS to refund you for the unused label(s) (if they refund at all at that late stage; I'm not sure). 

When I hit print, my computer froze, huge warning " you are being hacked, all accounts compromised, call Microsoft, do not turn off computer". In addition it was " screaming" that at me.  I know the phone scams, never saw this.  Luckily, I was able to turn off computer.  Took it to my IT service.  I was more freaking out because I had PayPals site up, with customers names addresses.  IT guy said it was okay, I cut their ability to go far.  Yes a virus got loaded on computer, possibly through PayPal or eBay, but never will know. 

It's actually a malicious script that was running; it did indeed get in via a downloaded ad from a nefarious website, but that could have happened anytime in the past; they sometimes lay dormant for a while to make it difficult to figure out which ad or site delivered it to your machine. 

Your machine was not frozen (among other things, it would need to keep running in order to do the popup warning, play the audio at you, etc.), but its graphics covered up everything else on your screen, so you really had no way of knowing that at the time. Because it's just a script running in a full-screen window, all you needed to do (just FYI for next time, of course) is press Alt+F4 (hold down your Alt key while pressing your F4 key; the universal window-closing command), which would have closed out the malicious script and restored your normal display. A good anti-virus cleaning should get rid of it. Ask your computer place what they recommend, and you may be able to get a "home" version that's either free or inexpensive.

I called PayPal, first, yes, date was a glitch.  But no way the virus came from their site.  Called eBay.  Impossible..  Went on PayPal through phone.  Somehow they (scammers) we're able to add my mom's card to my PayPal account and charged it 300.00.  and remove my bank account info!!

There's some point of overlap between you and your mom's activity. Your machine may have a keylogger infection (in addition to the fun stuff above) which would note all account logins run on your machine. If you ever accessed your account via your mom's computer, same result.

I can't pinpoint all the bad stuff described here, but a computer place you trust should examine both your machine and your mom's, clean them both out, and give you advice on periodic preventive cleanups in the future. Good luck.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Possible virus, scam

Oh one more thing.  I called real Microsoft.  They never send a number to call.  The topper too...

Those jerks started calling until I answered and told them they were being recorded.  Your caller id will even say Microsoft IT. 

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Possible virus, scam

Thats an old scam. You need an up to date antivirus with malware scanner. I have had that pop up on me. Dont click anything! Turn the computer off and back on, not restart.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Possible virus, scam

@tadpoletrading wrote:

I sold 5 items Friday night.  I checked paypal account.  Money on hold.  (Never had money held even when I first started selling) so, clicked on expected release date:. 1969! Ok, don't panic, it was late, call Sat.  I checked again, same issue.  Figured a glitch.  

It was; it's a glitch occasionally seen on PayPal when their expected payment clearing date doesn't calculate correctly. A Linux operating system counts from January 1, 1970 as being its nominal "Day 0" from which all later dates are counted. If its own system fails to provide the correct date number for today, it tries to work with "Day 0" instead. It calculates using Greenwich Mean Time, which you're a few hours behind, so instead of telling you that the payments are expected to clear on January 1, 1970, it backs it up to your time zone and tells you that your clearance date will be December 31, 1969.

Funds were paid (still on hold).  Decided to print labels first. 

I would not suggest doing that before the payment(s) actually clear. Even if you had a Ship-To address to work with, there's no point in buying postage on a pending payment that might get cancelled. If that doesn't happen soon enough, you'd have to wait a lot longer for the USPS to refund you for the unused label(s) (if they refund at all at that late stage; I'm not sure). 

When I hit print, my computer froze, huge warning " you are being hacked, all accounts compromised, call Microsoft, do not turn off computer". In addition it was " screaming" that at me.  I know the phone scams, never saw this.  Luckily, I was able to turn off computer.  Took it to my IT service.  I was more freaking out because I had PayPals site up, with customers names addresses.  IT guy said it was okay, I cut their ability to go far.  Yes a virus got loaded on computer, possibly through PayPal or eBay, but never will know. 

It's actually a malicious script that was running; it did indeed get in via a downloaded ad from a nefarious website, but that could have happened anytime in the past; they sometimes lay dormant for a while to make it difficult to figure out which ad or site delivered it to your machine. 

Your machine was not frozen (among other things, it would need to keep running in order to do the popup warning, play the audio at you, etc.), but its graphics covered up everything else on your screen, so you really had no way of knowing that at the time. Because it's just a script running in a full-screen window, all you needed to do (just FYI for next time, of course) is press Alt+F4 (hold down your Alt key while pressing your F4 key; the universal window-closing command), which would have closed out the malicious script and restored your normal display. A good anti-virus cleaning should get rid of it. Ask your computer place what they recommend, and you may be able to get a "home" version that's either free or inexpensive.

I called PayPal, first, yes, date was a glitch.  But no way the virus came from their site.  Called eBay.  Impossible..  Went on PayPal through phone.  Somehow they (scammers) we're able to add my mom's card to my PayPal account and charged it 300.00.  and remove my bank account info!!

There's some point of overlap between you and your mom's activity. Your machine may have a keylogger infection (in addition to the fun stuff above) which would note all account logins run on your machine. If you ever accessed your account via your mom's computer, same result.

I can't pinpoint all the bad stuff described here, but a computer place you trust should examine both your machine and your mom's, clean them both out, and give you advice on periodic preventive cleanups in the future. Good luck.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Possible virus, scam

Thanks so much!!! I knew I could find my answers here! Wow, I wish you were my IT tech.

The label thing, eBay, even though I never had funds held, still considers me a new seller.  They couldn't explain why it didn't happen when I first started selling.  I was told I had to ship items, wait three days after delivery, to have holds lifted.  Luckily, all buyers are long time ebayers, sellers, buyers.  I'm a bit worried...I've read the horror stories of newbies being targets.  These boards have taught me a lot!! I follow all policy, so **bleep** retentive (ex teacher) them tell me they had to ensure I was trustworthy, kinda ticked me off.  Especially when I am already considered an above standard seller.  

Even more, she said I only had to make 5 more sales to stop holds, and the above standard could not be current.  Yet, the next sale Saturday..no hold.  They couldn't even explain it.  Ahhhh....my first CS experience.  Was hoping I'd never had to call them.

Again, thanks soooo much!  I'm not the most computer savvy, I remember actually having to go to library and read books for research in college!  

Oh, one more question?  With email, if someone my mom knows sends her a link, could she get a virus that way?  Her last computer totally took a dump four years ago, and I've always suspected it was my Aunt's stupid emails.  She was still using dial up then! (Aunt).  

You Rock

Karen

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Possible virus, scam

@tadpoletrading wrote:

Oh, one more question?  With email, if someone my mom knows sends her a link, could she get a virus that way?

Not just by receiving a link in email; she would have to actually click the link to trigger the download, whatever it might be. It could be something innocuous like an animated birthday e-card on the surface, but could also embed malware behind the scenes as part of the same download, and that in turn could wait until sometime later before activating. But simply receiving the link and staring at it in an email message would not in itself cause Something Bad to happen.

There are self-replicating viruses which, once active on a machine, can locate the user's email archive or address list and generate an email to each recipient it finds, passing along the same nefarious link. The recipients each get an email that seems to come from Aunt Martha, but if they click the link in the message, they get their own infection at that point. (This type of propagation, if recognized by the recipient, is why Microsoft, for example, offers a "My friend's been hacked!" reporting button in their email utility.)

So yes, if you have a friend or relative who insists on forwarding every half-baked bit of rubbish that comes to them on the Internet, you should be careful to examine (or better yet, ignore) anything from them that you're being asked to open, click on or play. Also best to not access any secure accounts of your own using their machine, or allow them to mess about on whatever machine you use for your personal business.

It's a good idea, if you can swing it, to have a machine (and dedicated email account) that you use for eBay business and nothing else. eBay activity doesn't really require a bleeding-edge machine for conducting business. My main home machine for my eBay work is actually one of the oldest in the house.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Possible virus, scam

@a_c_greenwrote:

@tadpoletrading wrote:

Oh, one more question?  With email, if someone my mom knows sends her a link, could she get a virus that way?

Not just by receiving a link in email; she would have to actually click the link to trigger the download, whatever it might be. It could be something innocuous like an animated birthday e-card on the surface, but could also embed malware behind the scenes as part of the same download, and that in turn could wait until sometime later before activating. But simply receiving the link and staring at it in an email message would not in itself cause Something Bad to happen.

There are self-replicating viruses which, once active on a machine, can locate the user's email archive or address list and generate an email to each recipient it finds, passing along the same nefarious link. The recipients each get an email that seems to come from Aunt Martha, but if they click the link in the message, they get their own infection at that point. (This type of propagation, if recognized by the recipient, is why Microsoft, for example, offers a "My friend's been hacked!" reporting button in their email utility.)

So yes, if you have a friend or relative who insists on forwarding every half-baked bit of rubbish that comes to them on the Internet, you should be careful to examine (or better yet, ignore) anything from them that you're being asked to open, click on or play. Also best to not access any secure accounts of your own using their machine, or allow them to mess about on whatever machine you use for your personal business.

It's a good idea, if you can swing it, to have a machine (and dedicated email account) that you use for eBay business and nothing else. eBay activity doesn't really require a bleeding-edge machine for conducting business. My main home machine for my eBay work is actually one of the oldest in the house.

Awesome! Yes, I remember years ago the "help, I'm stuck in ..add country here... I need money!" Scam.  We got one from a third cousin.  Of course that one seemed obvious, as we never talked to her.

Your idea for computer for just eBay is great.  Ill just have to see if I actually make a go of this, and make a bit of extra cash 😀.  Before eBay, I really only used work computer, stayed away from social media (again, paranoid teacher) and home just for personal email, then paying bills.  Any work related stuff (research, etc) I could take computer home.  It's when my mom got her laptop all heck started.  She's definitely learned about opening emails.  Unfortunately, these hackers are quick, adaptable, and ruthless!  

I feel kinda dumb with this post, but all your info really helped, and I hope (sure) good for others too! I've learned so much just reading the boards because of members like you! 

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Possible virus, scam

I have had this happen to me maybe... 8 times in the last year. Its always a facebook post, click on it... go into it, reading the bait and click thing, and bam, it pops up YOUR COMPUTER IS INFECTED DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPTER... I always turn it OFF. Hardboot time. Turn off, wait 30 sec, then turn back on and all is fine.  And its never the same site in FB, different feeds, not from friends, just random stuff, heck, cat videos or an article about pyramids... I've wondered if others get that now and then... but I am relieved to know I did the right thing in shutting OFF then back on!  thanks! 

RIP my Kitty, my fur buddy; Gizmo. 4/9/19.
Seventeen years was not enough.
Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Possible virus, scam

@a_c_greenwrote:

In order for isolation to 'really work', you'd need a separate internet connection and make sure NO other devices are on the same LAN network.  Many Nasties can replicate across the entire network to any and all connected devices.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Possible virus, scam

@a_c_greenwrote:

THIS is the #1 reason I use Ad Blocking software on my computer. Not only are the ads intrusive, but you never know when the ad server has been compromised and are serving up malware infected downloads. And it's not just nefarious sites that serve up these infected ads ...

From Ars Technica in March of 2016:

[quote]

Update: According to a just-published post from Malwarebytes, a flurry of malvertising appeared over the weekend, almost out of the blue. It hit some of the biggest publishers in the business, including msn.com, nytimes.com, bbc.com, aol.com, my.xfinity.com, nfl.com, realtor.com, theweathernetwork.com, thehill.com, and newsweek.com. Affected networks included those owned by Google, AppNexis, AOL, and Rubicon.

[/quote]

I'm ̶p̶r̶e̶t̶t̶y̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ certain the lunatics have taken over the asylum.
Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Possible virus, scam

@chrysylyswrote:

@a_c_greenwrote:

In order for isolation to 'really work', you'd need a separate internet connection and make sure NO other devices are on the same LAN network.  Many Nasties can replicate across the entire network to any and all connected devices.

Yeah, the IT tech told me that. But he said safest way to do banking and the like is through phone or iPad.  I hate those ad pop ups that have the tiny little x and you try to exit, and you get in ad anyway. I'm getting my computer loaded down with software.  This whole nightmare blew all my profits I made that night (and then some).  It's the year of the dog and I'm wearing milkbone underwear! 

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Possible virus, scam

@montana_echoeswrote:

I have had this happen to me maybe... 8 times in the last year. Its always a facebook post, click on it... go into it, reading the bait and click thing, and bam, it pops up YOUR COMPUTER IS INFECTED DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPTER... I always turn it OFF. Hardboot time. Turn off, wait 30 sec, then turn back on and all is fine.  And its never the same site in FB, different feeds, not from friends, just random stuff, heck, cat videos or an article about pyramids... I've wondered if others get that now and then... but I am relieved to know I did the right thing in shutting OFF then back on!  thanks! 

Thanks it makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one! Felt dumb after posting that I didn't know about that particular scam.  BTW, PayPal won't reverse charges, they said it was consistant with my history! Really?!  I tried moms card company first, they feel someone (like me) must have given the permission to use card! Geesh, they don't get how hackers added her card to my account.  I tried PayPal because I've read they always side with customers.  Clearly a scam.  

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Possible virus, scam

Jus to add...I went from estatic that I sold five auctions above my expectations, to losing money, being bummed beyond belief in no time.  I don't think I'm cut out for this! 

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Possible virus, scam

@chrysylys wrote: 

Ayup. If I remember right, there was an operating system update (or three) from Microsoft not too long ago that was intended to address one or more holes that were exploited that way. The moral there (which I should have mentioned before) is to be sure that your machine is set to automatically download and apply manufacturer's updates, including the Windows OS updates from Microsoft, a well as virus scans and such that we were talking about here.

If you've got a laptop that's only used occasionally and spends most of its time switched off, make sure all pending updates are applied the next time you fire it up before doing any important work on it. (My wife's laptop fits that description, and I left it running from last night into this morning to be sure it had everything up to date for today.)

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Possible virus, scam

@a_c_greenwrote:

The moral there (which I should have mentioned before) is to be sure that your machine is set to automatically download and apply manufacturer's updates, including the Windows OS updates from Microsoft, a well as virus scans and such that we were talking about here.

Ummmm, No.  Tech specialty boards are loaded with stories of machines crippled by faulty updates.  Sometimes they catch the error after a day or two and fix them, but the first few thousands of victims can be left with a mess.  Even MalwareBytes put out a faulty update recently that caused massive RAM and CPU usage bringing machines to a crawl.  Lots and lots of MS Windows Updates have crippled machines by loading updates that weren't needed or were misapplied.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 15 of 21
latest reply