cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible scammer?

On 6/1, I sold two items to a buyer. I packed them up that night and shipped them out the next morning. I chose to upgrade the shipping to Priority, which I know would not affect how much he paid. While in town that day, I received a message that he had been charged extra for the shipping and requesting that I do something about it. When I got home, I pulled up the order details. I saw that he was charged the correct amount and replied that he paid the exact amount that eBay charged him.

He replied that he was charged the correct amount when he bought them, but claimed it showed higher the next morning. I spelled out the cost of the items + tax + shipping to prove the correct amount. I also asked him to contact eBay is he had actually been charged more. In his last reply, he thanked me and said he was confused.

USPS showed that the package was delivered 6/5. On 6/6, I received a message that he had opened an INR. While I've never had this happen before, I followed protocol and attached the tracking number, and I'm waiting for eBay's response. I also attached a message telling him to check with his neighbors to see if they had the package.

Several hours later, he commented that he had actually received the package, but he was still overcharged and is again requesting that I do something about it. For reference, he's claiming he was charged almost $13 dollars more than what is shown on the order details.

Does this sound like a scammer? Do I ignore him and just wait for eBay's response to the INR? Any advice is appreciated.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Possible scammer?

Who is he saying charged him more ? Ebay or USPS ? How was he suppose to pay this overcharge to get his item ?

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I have no idea. He didn't give any details. He claims he was charged the correct amount when he paid that night, and the amount was supposedly almost $13 higher the next morning. eBay charged him the correct amount for shipping, so I don't know where the extra nearly $13 is from.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Tell him that ebay charges tax on the shipping fee too. Well , actually, he state does that. Tell him that you  have been selling for X (fill in the amount ) and its impossible to be charged more.

The only way that he had to pay more was ONLY if you got the weight wrong and wrote 1 lb and the box is 1 lb PLUS and he had to pay the difference at the post office. But this would NOT show on the ebay invoice. He would need to show you a receipt that he paid extra.  Also, most of the time, when a seller does this error, the post office will automatically bill the seller.

Tell him to knock it off. You already have him lying in an email when he admit he got the item but opened an item not received case.  The clown is looking for a discount.  Do NOT give it to him.  Make sure that you block him. If he posts a negative ,  make sure that  you contact ebay to get it removed. 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

He sent the claim about being charged extra before USPS even had the package (it was still in my mailbox at the time). I also triple check that the weight and size are entered correctly before I buy a label, so I know it has nothing to do with that. I am definitely going to block him.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

He paid $31.98 for both items, $7.74 shipping, and $3.28 tax. That's a total of $43.00 even. Where could he possibly get nearly $13 extra from that?

Message 6 of 6
latest reply