cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible INR coming my way -- FedEx redirect Scam?

I need some advice. I'm wondering if I just got hit with a scam and if I'm gonna lose my money after sending the product via FedEx Shipping on Ebay. 

I sold a video card for around $1,000. Printed a FedEx label using Ebay's shipping and I made sure signature was required since the purchase was over $750 and I wanted to make sure I would be covered by seller protection. 

Now here's what happened that has suddenly made me concerned. I tracked the package which was sent to Florida and I find out it was redirected to New Jersey (?) and delivered there. 

I called FedEx to find out why the package was redirected because I did not authorize this and I did not see any options to prevent this. FedEx said the recipient's party called and they were able to redirect the shipment and paid for the shipping changes with their account. FedEx would not provide me with the delivery address or the account used to pay for the redirecting of the shipment, they said that information was private (?). 

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated. Since the package was delivered today I'm concerned that I will be dealing with some sort of chargeback through paypal or ebay in the near future.

Message 1 of 82
latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

Re: Possible INR coming my way -- FedEx redirect Scam?

Stolen identities and credit card fraud are, indeed, alarming, and consumers, buyers and sellers all, need to be aware, so true! That you are alert to fraud is commendable, and very much to your credit. And exactly why all the rules exist – I hear you. If FedEx or any other shipper elects to ignore, then they generally do so at their own peril!

You didn’t sell a high-value item to a brand new, first time buyer, with zero history here on eBay whose account say coincidentally opened just minutes before they placed the order, did you? For a “common thief” to steal a credit card and attempt to shop happens (and is as criminal as it is sad), but to assume another’s identity/account is quite another. [Yes, it happens and is frightening when it does, an often lengthy and sometimes costly procedure for victims to recover from). However, given the nature of FedEx’s response (and their willingness to re-route in the first place), I wouldn’t worry too much – you and buyer both should be protected and, if for some highly unlikely reason you’re not, you’ve seemingly good recourse against your shipper, as said.

Document as you are, and try not to worry. For added peace of mind, you’ll really want to consider insurance next time. Doesn’t excuse a shipper’s failure to follow directions but, rather, takes the worry and hassle out for you, while also protecting you and buyer against possible damages to the package during delivery, too.
Message 31 of 82
latest reply

There is seller protection for Unauthorised transaction.if the item is eligible and seller shipped to the address in payment notice,not necessarily delivered.

just the proof he has shipped is good enough

so he is Ok HERE.

I still think seller should just pick up the phone and call the buyer and ask since it was redirected,did he get the merchandise.

Instead of waiting for Paypal to pickup the phone or twisting and turning wondering if there will be a dispute,if the buyer is a scammer,he will scam whether you call or not,what can he do to you,kill you??

Message 32 of 82
latest reply

Yes, on perusing both eBay's and PayPal's T&Cs, that is exactly how I read it, too -- i.e., "proof of shipment", as I said earlier. Discussing various things that can go wrong, about which the OP is concerned--i.e., hypotheticals, "best practices" to avoid, and alternative recourse available. Meantime, here you go: https://www.paypal.com/c2/webapps/mpp/paypal-seller-protection?locale.x=en_C2

Message 33 of 82
latest reply

Logged into Paypal today to find my balance deep in the negative.

In their resolution center, Paypal has an open case for "Unauthorized Transaction" for a total of $1,069.65. The status of the case is under review. It appears there was automatic response for me with the fedex tracking.

I have a feeling this isn't gonna end well. Right now, I'm out the product and the money.  Smiley Sad 

Message 34 of 82
latest reply

Not covered..... Items that are not shipped to the recipient's shipping address on the Transaction Details page. If you originally ship the item to the recipient's shipping address on the Transaction Details page but the item is later redirected to a different address, you will not be eligible for PayPal Seller Protection. We therefore recommend not using a shipping service that is arranged by the buyer, so that you will be able to provide valid proof of shipping and delivery.

Message 35 of 82
latest reply

So the big question is, how can you stop package redirection so you don't lose your money? And it irks me that Ebay's Shipping Page did not prevent this from happening. 

Message 36 of 82
latest reply

Did you google the address it was redirected to? Bet it's a reshipper.

Try calling PayPal and get them to see that YOU should be covered as you shipped it to the address given and that the BUYER redirected it without your consent or knowledge.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 37 of 82
latest reply

@lookng2015 - I can't see the full address the package was redirected to. FedEx wants me to enter in Ebay's FedEx account number and I don't have that.

All that I can tell you right now was that the package was redirected to Port Reading, NJ. I suspect the package was redirected to a freight forwarder or a mule (and from there who knows).

Message 38 of 82
latest reply

@powertellwrote:

So the big question is, how can you stop package redirection so you don't lose your money? And it irks me that Ebay's Shipping Page did not prevent this from happening. 

I thought the whole point of issuing the shipping label yourself (as opposed to letting the buyer do it) was to prevent this very thing from happening. Now it seems like FedEx doesn't care who issued the label; it sounds like the recipient can redirect it as well. If that's the case, there's going to be a lot of scammers ransacking eBay's iPhone and laptop listings in search of all sellers offering FedEx shipping.

(Would it really be that simple? There must be more to it than just that...)

Message 39 of 82
latest reply

It certainly sounds like a stolen cc and redirected to a reshipper (Port Reading NJ is a known one).

I would never use Fedex but if I DID, I'd be sure to set up my account and not use the eBay Fedex label for this very reason you've encountered. I'm not sure how far uyou'd get trying to get eBay to intervene with Fedex.

This scam wouldn't have been possible but for the willingness of Fedex to accept a redirect from a recipient.

Message 40 of 82
latest reply

I agree it's bad and there must be some agency out there who can hold Fedex's feet to the fire and hold them accountable for this shady practice.

Message 41 of 82
latest reply

@powertellwrote:

Logged into Paypal today to find my balance deep in the negative.

In their resolution center, Paypal has an open case for "Unauthorized Transaction" for a total of $1,069.65. The status of the case is under review. It appears there was automatic response for me with the fedex tracking.

I have a feeling this isn't gonna end well. Right now, I'm out the product and the money.  Smiley Sad 

Call paypal, on a chargeback for unauthorized transaction you should ONLY have to prove that you shipped the item.  I'm almost certain you don't have to prove delivery, just shipping.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 42 of 82
latest reply

Ummm, it's possbile to file forms with USPS and get packages rerouted.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 43 of 82
latest reply

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure USPS will ONLY honour a redirect from the sender (apart from if a buyer has filed a mail forwarding)

Message 44 of 82
latest reply

@lookng2015 @a_c_green - Since this problem started, I've learned that all major shipping carriers offer package redirection (UPS, FedEx, and USPS). 

Message 45 of 82
latest reply