cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pickup Only - do I mark it as shipped?

Title says it all.  Sold today. Picked up today. 

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

How did he pay?

Paypal or cash?

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

But if you mark it as shipped, and there is no tracking info, doesn't this go against your "tracking uploaded on time and validated" in the dashboard?

I would think that would not be a good thing to do for a local pickup only item.

Then again that raises another question I have no idea about, once a local pickup sale has been completed, how do you close out the sale in ebay to reflect that?

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

If paid via Paypal, I mark will-calls as "order processed." This option is available in Paypal. It may show up in eBay as "shipped," but there will be no tracking number or other time-sensitive details.

If paid with directly cash, check, money order or credit card, I mark the eBay transaction shipped, just as I do for any order that does not provide a tracking number. I often mail postcard orders as non-machinable letters, not packages.

Just keep in mind that will-calls do not count toward TRS+ status and more than 5 will-calls per 100 transactions could remove that status. If you are not a TRS, then it does not matter at all.

~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

How did he pay?

Paypal or cash?

PayPal.  And I changed the listing before he bought it to a pickup only.  So eBay and PayPal know there is no shipping going on.

Glad I'm not the only "old timer" confused.

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@jonathankirkland wrote:

But if you mark it as shipped, and there is no tracking info, doesn't this go against your "tracking uploaded on time and validated" in the dashboard?

I would think that would not be a good thing to do for a local pickup only item.

Then again that raises another question I have no idea about, once a local pickup sale has been completed, how do you close out the sale in ebay to reflect that?

I have only done one local pickup for a set of flatware in a case.  Very heavy.

He came, paid in cash, left, and I marked it shipped.

I would not accept paypal with local pickup because there would be no proof he actually picked it up.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@duchess-at-speakeasy

Here are my options on PayPal.  Right under the order status box, which is covered up, is the second graphic showing that you can check tracking information not required.

pickup1.jpgpickup2.jpg

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I actually ended up choosing Order Processed and Tracking Not Required. 

Thanks to all.

@duchess-at-speakeasy- I'm not worried about the TRS thing. This was a random situation, with the guy literally living in the next town about 4 miles away.  Nice guy.  Worked out great.  Met him at the local grocery store right down the street from me.    🙂

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

The "tracking not required" may be a recent addition. The "order processed" option is actually meant for services or digital delivery, but can be used for physical delivery that does not have tracking, including non-machinable letters and flats, will-call, personal delivery and freight.

Either way, the transaction shows up as completed but not counted toward TRS+ status. Paypal obviously will consider the order filled; eBay might not.

~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

If you become suspicious about a buyer who has a poor track record of being honest...do this...After he picks up his item in person, simply mail his "Packing slip" with a tracking number to his home. It will cost you about 2 or 3 bucks but it will better protect you on high ticket items. 

I did this once after checking his feedback left for others. Predicting a scammer, I wrote on his Packing slip, "For your Records" "Picked up & Paid in Full". Tracking shows delivered and the transaction is then complete.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@duchess-at-speakeasy wrote:

Just keep in mind that will-calls do not count toward TRS+ status and more than 5 will-calls per 100 transactions could remove that status. If you are not a TRS, then it does not matter at all.

~~C~~

Considering TRS+ only applies to individual listings and not the seller specifically, there is no status to lose by doing this, except on the individual item.  So it does not matter how many items are local.  Those simply will not qualify for the paltry 10% FvF discount.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@magicjohnsonsvariety wrote:

If you become suspicious about a buyer who has a poor track record of being honest...do this...After he picks up his item in person, simply mail his "Packing slip" with a tracking number to his home. It will cost you about 2 or 3 bucks but it will better protect you on high ticket items. 

I did this once after checking his feedback left for others. Predicting a scammer, I wrote on his Packing slip, "For your Records" "Picked up & Paid in Full". Tracking shows delivered and the transaction is then complete.

And what is to stop them from filing SNAD when they receive your tracked letter?  Since the listing was for an item and not for a packing slip, then getting something in the mail with tracking linked to that item, and the contents are not that item, then you run the risk of ending up with no item, no money, and being out the $2.61 postage used to mail the packing slip.

Of course, that would still only be the case if they paid via PayPal or directly with a credit card.  If they paid in cash, you can just refrain from marking the item as paid until you are certain you are past the point where they can pull anything.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

General Comment..

If a Local Pickup Only listing is done properly, there is no need for a tracking number or a shipping option...in addition, and again, if done properly LPO transactions void the eBay Money Back Guarantee and since an electronic form of payment is REQUIRED for the listing a seller can safely accept PayPal for the transaction, although cash is usually preferred.  Here are the requirements for a valid LPO listing:

Seller protection when listing as local pickup only:

Use the local pickup only listing option which states no shipping and to contact seller for payment options
Specify "no returns" in you listing
If the buyer uses PayPal to pay, make sure that you make pickup arrangements through eBay messages as this will prevent an INR from being won
If you are selling something that is electronic or has moving parts, make sure that the buyer can see the widget working at time of pickup and acknowledges that fact through eBay messages at time of pickup
Cash is King Smiley Happy

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I've only sold two local pick up items , a dog pen and a table chairs set . Both were paid by the buyers through Pay Pal . They each dropped by within a day or two and picked up their items without a hitch . Since I had marked both listings as local pick up only , I doubt e bay even  expected  a tracking number   to be provided  when they were sold .I just marked both items ''shipped '' for  a lack of a better option  and no problems ever occured . This has just  been my personal experience with local pick ups,, others may vary.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply