cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

People from a country I don't sell to are bidding on my item.

I have a necklace currently for sale on auction. I generally sell internationally, but there are few countries that I do not sell to, and my parameters are set as such. However, two different bidders have bid this particular item up to a ridiculous amount, both are from a country I have set parameters to, to NOT sell to them. It is because their country's jewelry policies are very strict and items have to be sent International Priority, and also because things I have sent there in the past have disappeared.  So I have two questions:  if they are in a country I have set not to sell to, how can they be bidding on it in the first place?  And, if one of them wins, even if using a freight forwarder, will the sale cause problems?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Generally, policies are set to restrict buyers from countries you don't ship to but if the buyers have a US shipping address, i.e., using a freight forwarder, they are allowed to bid on or buy your items. 

For seller protection against INR, you are only required to show delivery to the address they provided through ebay. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Makes me nervous, though.  I have sent tons of stuff through freight forwarders and never had  problem, but in this instance it makes me real uneasy. Crossing my fingers.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Instead of crossing your fingers, why not cancel those bids and block those bidders. Sellers are allowed to cancel any bid (as long as the auction is still active), and to block any bidder.

Cancel bid: https://www.ebay.com/bfl/cancelbid

Block bidder: https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/BuyerBlock

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

jewelry is always a risk especially if high value.

Sounds like your bidders might be using a U.S. address for a freight forwarder. That is how they get around your perimeters in order to bid and buy. 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@squinkercat59 wrote:

Makes me nervous, though.  I have sent tons of stuff through freight forwarders and never had  problem, but in this instance it makes me real uneasy.

Not from what I'm seeing. While one bidder's feedback is only (9), the other has (182), and the two are going back and forth, nibble-bidding each other, not the usual bid-shielding pattern. In addition, neither one has any recent bid retractions on their records at all. I would let this one ride and see how it goes. (Given this level of interest, including two other bidders who made initial bids earlier, someone else may snipe them at the end anyway.) Good luck.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I've considered that, believe me.  But both buyers have good feedback from American purchases, so I believe they are legit bids. Like I said, just makes me a little uneasy because of the price it's getting to. If it goes okay, I wouldn't want to discourage them from buying again.  Just not sure how the incoming goods are processed with freight forwarders in that particular country.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

If you don't feel right, go ahead and cancel their bids and block.  Go with your gut feeling.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Many sellers don't seem to understand that country blocks apply to where you ship to, not to whom you sell.  Using freight forwarders is a way for these buyers to meet your shipping terms and as noted, enables them to bid on or purchase an item that doesn't ship to their location.

If it turns out one of these buyers wins and--for whatever reason--changes their shipping location back to that of their home country, a cancellation with the reason "problem with address" comes into play here.

I think @a_c_green's suggestion to wait to see how things shake out is a good one.  Right now the necklace is sitting at about $150, which may be way more than the necklace's street value but is not a "ridiculous" amount of money IMO.  A freight forwarder should have no problem handling an item of that value (assuming they handle jewellery) even if it's above eBay International Standard Delivery's coverage amount.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

The actual freight forwarder is based in this country, right?

As I understand it (but I don't sell any more), all the seller is required to do is make sure the item is received by the freight forwarder at its location.  From there on, you, the seller, are off the hook.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Sort of my thinking as well, a_c_green. Letting it ride!

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@squinkercat59 

Florenza is a good name in costume jewelry, and if you look at Solds, you will see that necklaces sell for over $100.

One like yours had been listed as a buy it now for 265 as I recall, and took best  offer.

I don’t think the winning bid on your necklace is out of line at all.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply