cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment Dispute Opened by Buyers Financial Institution for INR – 30 Days later changed to NAD

Sold a Sealed Needlepoint Kit on February 20 – shipped on February 22 – USPS tracking shows delivered on February 25. Never heard anything from the buyer so I assumed all was well. App. 1 month later on March 25, I receive an e-mail from Ebay that the buyer has opened a case with their financial institution for item not received and asked me to provide tracking number. I provide the tracking information and didn’t hear anything – I assumed I was safe because tracking shows delivered. I called Ebay after the case sat for 2 weeks and they advised me that they could not close the case as the financial institution opened it and the financial institution needed to close it. As I am on managed payments, I have no idea who the financial institution is, and have no idea how to contact them. I hear nothing for another month, than on April 25 I receive a new e-mail from Ebay saying buyer changed reason to Item Not As Described – no details – no pictures. My options are to either refund the buyer or dispute the claim – to dispute the claim my only choice is to provide proof that the item was as described. I called Ebay CS at this point because how do you prove an item was as described – CS told me to take a picture from the listing and attach. I was only able to submit 1 picture - there is no place to write comments and no where was a given a choice to have the Buyer return the item.

My gut is saying they will refund the buyer as buyer opened a NAD case. Will the buyer have to return the item? I don’t think the package magically showed up after showing delivered for two months – so I think if buyer has to send something back it will be an empty envelope. Ebay does nothing but tell me they can’t do anything and their stock answer of course, if they refund the money, open an appeal. If the buyer honestly did not receive the package – they waited a month before they did anything. They claim they called the PO once and was put on hold for too long and hung up and never tried again.

Has anyone had this problem with the financial institution – am I going to lose the case because they changed to NAD? Is this a new scam buyers are using, perhaps because they have too many cases and lost their MBG with Ebay?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Payment Dispute Opened by Buyers Financial Institution for INR – 30 Days later changed to NAD

You are not covered by eBay when the buyer goes through PayPal to file a dispute or their bank or a  credit card card chargeback.  You're going to lose the item and the money and pay $20 for the pleasure. 

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

Re: Payment Dispute Opened by Buyers Financial Institution for INR – 30 Days later changed to NAD

Of all the sites that I sell on,  Ebay has the fewest scams.

This week alone on Amazon,  I have had a buyer say that the item was not received,  even though it shows delivered.    I did not get signature confirmation so I had to refund.

A buyer wanted a full refund because she made a quilt and only after it was finished and presented as a gift,  she noticed that I had sent the wrong fabric.

I have another SNAD because the color does not work with her quilt.

Etsy,

Lady claims fabric has 2 huge slashes in it.    Box cutter damage,  except I do not use a box cutter.

Another wants a refund because the fabric is not white,  but blue.    The title says blue.

Another claims that half the fabric is missing and will take a full refund so I do not leave a bad review.

Ebay...nothing

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

PP requires that the buyer first contact the merchant when a credit card dispute is filed. This is the way it is supposed to be done according to the fair credit billing act. If the merchant cannot or will not work with the buyer then they get involved in the dispute. 

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

Filing a cc dipsuteafter the 30 day period is allowable. People may have an item tat stopped working etc, did not open a package for a period of time, simply forgot about the time frame for a return. What is wrong is that if a payment dispute happens with a chargeback the merchant should first be allowed to  resolve  the problem. NOT A DIRECT REFERRAL TO THE CC company. PP always defers back to the merchant first., then gets involved if the merchants fails to respond.

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

The outcome of this case was that I lost the case - lost the item and was charged $20 for disputing the charge.  I called Ebay and they did refund the $20.00.  What I don't understand is why the buyer gets to keep the item.  When I first received the case, I forwarded the tracking information showing item was delivered - than the second case was opened for item not as described and my only options was to refund or show proof item was as delivered.  There was no option to have the buyer return the item (or did I miss it) and when I received the INAD and sent photo I did not know I was disputing the case but simply forwarding the information they requested.  So basically the only option is to send refund and kiss your money good-bye!!   

Thankfully, I have not had this happen again.

Message 20 of 26
latest reply

Unfortunately you lose to a buyer gaming the system every single time

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

The reason chargebacks are becoming the preferred route for the scammers is the CC companies do not care about the logistics and are not going to get into that business. They are 100% a financial processor and are not going to expend resource on logistical issues. As the scammers get smarter the only thing you are going to see is NAD chargeback cases the INR's will evaporate. There are multiple articles on the internet already about the chargeback increases and the growing problem it is creating for sellers of all types. 

EBay is treated by the CC company as the merchant for chargebacks and eBay has exactly 0 say in the decision process that is controlled 100% by the CC company. In addition NONE of eBay's policies apply to a chargeback situation. You didn't have an option on the NAD chargeback for return or to contest the NAD because the CC company simply does not care. Be glad eBay gave you the $20 back. Chargebacks are the worse you loose the COGS (what you paid for the item), the shipping cost, the eBay fees and the $20 processing fee although in this case you got the processing fee back. This is like a tropical depression that is going to build into a hurricane at some point. 

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

I have had a similar issue, you are sadly wasting your time trying to dispute it with Ebay,  it always gets rules in the buyers favour with a additional dispute fee being charged to you, mine was a small purchase but never the less returned in a smashed broken state, not in original box and without the fittings, everything I did was a waste of time,  the buyer wasn't interested and neither was Ebay, I have looked at raising the matter with the financial ombudsman so I will try that, hopefully pressure will force ebay to revisit their policy's, thankfully the fraudulent **bleep**head buyers are few and far between, I know that's no consolation when your out of pocket. Sorry to hear I am not alone in this scam

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

How much can a needle point kit cost? Refund and done, move on. Too much effort is being put into this. 

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

This is happening to me right now.  Buyer had the item for 6 weeks, then sent me messages saying the item was not as described, with showing an obviously used item, and the one I sent was brand new.  I spoke with eBay and they agree with me that his photos clearly show a used and dusty item, while my photos show a new item in the box, clean and without any flaws.  They told me that this should be decided in my favor, but they can't control how the bank makes their decisions.  They advised me to call them back should it go against me.  In the meantime, eBay holds the money, so I am out and this time of year, that is not pleasant.  All I can do is wait.  I have read that it can sometimes take a bank up to 60 days to decide.  It stinks that all I was able to do is provide one photo and no comments.  

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 26 of 26
latest reply