cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PayPal User Agreement Update

Did anybody else get an email about this change? 

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full

Message 1 of 103
latest reply
102 REPLIES 102

Re: PayPal User Agreement Update

@loveyourimagination49 wrote:
I have a business debit card, but the PP email I received was for personal accounts. I’m still confused 🤷‍♀️
I’m just tagging in so I don’t lose this thread.

I never had any of the PayPal cards because they would only send them to physical addresses and at the time I only had a PO Box. By the time I moved in 2011 and had a physical address I didn't have a use for the debit card anymore so never tried to get one. Now I just have a PO Box again so I probably could not get one.

Message 76 of 103
latest reply

Thanks, Read. No problem. Can understand you sort of anxiety about all this...And now? I am even more confused...I just went to the PP website. No where can I find any information whether what they have me enrolled in now is equal to maybe a Personal Account?

So I go to this PP Business Set up drop down looking for these "blocks". Got so confused I just logged out. And, considering the subject of this thread WAS those PP emails (I never got one), it has now ballooned out to my worrying just what kind of account I do have now. And no where did I see anything about this PP Cash versus PP Cash Plus. I just gave up. And don't feel like calling them today lolol. Although they have always been there for me when I had any questions or probs. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe someone with more experience than me (I have none) will be by here. 

I ain't got the brains to make this up (Fantastic Beasts)
Message 77 of 103
latest reply

I didn’t even ask for the card. They just sent it to me. Someone else mentioned that up thread too.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 78 of 103
latest reply

Detailed information about your balance account (known as PayPal Cash Plus) can be found in the PayPal Cash and PayPal Cash Plus Terms and Conditions.

It didn’t copy the link. It’s 33 pages long.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 79 of 103
latest reply

I just assumed I would find it on the paypal website. Didn't find it. Thanks.

Message 80 of 103
latest reply

Neither did I, when I logged in. No advertisements, no special links. No news is good news.

From what eveyone has said, (and I read all 4 pages), if you (like me) have had a personal account linked to a personal credit card, then nothing changes.  The only change they've made that I can see is, if I have to send money to somebody (like a refund), they just charge my credit card, if I have a 0 balance, which I do most of the time.
It used to be, you had to have enough money in your Paypal account to cover a refund .

Message 81 of 103
latest reply

Hi, Mike. I don't have a CC as a back up only my bank account so if I have to refund someone it has to be the full amount that is in PP. If not enough in PP, the full amount comes out of my bank account, not PP. Will try tomorrow to make a call and find out just what is going on about Premier versus Business versus Personal. Thanks for your reply...

Message 82 of 103
latest reply

@readabouthorses wrote:

@abfabvintage wrote:

Hi, Moo. I might have been wrong about the amount of the cash back, it could be 1.5%. I didn't pay that much attention. I, too, need to go look again about those blocks which I didn't bother this morning. All I know for me, I had a Premier Account because I was told early on (2002?) I had to have a Premier Account in order to sell. Had to call them because I didn't get a renewed card this Feb, so PP automatically put me into this Business Debit and I never thought twice about it. And have not used it yet. No sales, no money lololol.

So now that our Premier accounts have been downgraded to Personal (according to the PayPal CS person on Facebook) I wonder if that will cause any problems?

Can we even sell with our Personal accounts? No one seems to know exactly how this will impact selling. What a mess!

Oh, yes, it has been possible to sell with a Personal account for many, many years. 10-15 years, I believe.

The belief that you can't goes back a really long way, back to when Personal accounts could send and receive money for free, as long as it wasn't funded from a credit card. They charged a fee for credit card transactions (probably because the CC companies charged a fee for them), and for business transactions.

The PayPal fee structure was changed many years ago, but while it was still true, there was an eBay rule that if you were accepting PayPal, then you had to be willing to upgrade to a Premier or Business account "if you were asked to" (paraphrase). That was because eBay didn't want sellers to refuse to accept credit card payments through PayPal.

PayPal changed the rules so that all accounts were able to accept credit card payments, and charged the same fees, so then the eBay rule was not needed any more. But they kept that rule around for about forever. I don't know that it isn't still on the policy pages, somewhere. Even though it has been redundant for something like 10-15 years.

Message 83 of 103
latest reply

I find it odd that no one is seeing what I am seeing -

tighter and tighter controls of sellers and money -

and I would believe that it is for tax purposes mainly.

Time to move on, not sure how etsy and the others operate,

but this has been going on at ebay for years, 

and it's not good.

Message 84 of 103
latest reply

@ronniesretro11 wrote:

tighter and tighter controls of sellers and money -

and I would believe that it is for tax purposes mainly.

Give that man (or woman) a cheroot!

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 85 of 103
latest reply

--- Another General Reply---

Looking at the account things in Paypal, doesn't really clear up much for me. It asks me to upgrade to a business account, but we do have a merchant ID number. Weird.

Ina's article didn't help much either. Hopefully some more coherent info will trickle out soon.

Déjà Moo: The strange feeling that I've heard this bull before...
Message 86 of 103
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:

@readabouthorses wrote:

@abfabvintage wrote:

Hi, Moo. I might have been wrong about the amount of the cash back, it could be 1.5%. I didn't pay that much attention. I, too, need to go look again about those blocks which I didn't bother this morning. All I know for me, I had a Premier Account because I was told early on (2002?) I had to have a Premier Account in order to sell. Had to call them because I didn't get a renewed card this Feb, so PP automatically put me into this Business Debit and I never thought twice about it. And have not used it yet. No sales, no money lololol.

So now that our Premier accounts have been downgraded to Personal (according to the PayPal CS person on Facebook) I wonder if that will cause any problems?

Can we even sell with our Personal accounts? No one seems to know exactly how this will impact selling. What a mess!

Oh, yes, it has been possible to sell with a Personal account for many, many years. 10-15 years, I believe.

The belief that you can't goes back a really long way, back to when Personal accounts could send and receive money for free, as long as it wasn't funded from a credit card. They charged a fee for credit card transactions (probably because the CC companies charged a fee for them), and for business transactions.

The PayPal fee structure was changed many years ago, but while it was still true, there was an eBay rule that if you were accepting PayPal, then you had to be willing to upgrade to a Premier or Business account "if you were asked to" (paraphrase). That was because eBay didn't want sellers to refuse to accept credit card payments through PayPal.

PayPal changed the rules so that all accounts were able to accept credit card payments, and charged the same fees, so then the eBay rule was not needed any more. But they kept that rule around for about forever. I don't know that it isn't still on the policy pages, somewhere. Even though it has been redundant for something like 10-15 years.

The reason I asked if we could still sell with a Personal Account is because all of the Seller Preferences and Selling Tools the PayPal CS keeps telling me to access are nowhere to be found in the Personal Account. It seems that perhaps the PayPal CS people on their Facebook are also confused over what is going on. They finally asked me for a screenshot of my account.

Message 87 of 103
latest reply

I called Paypal today and the wonderful rep wanted me to send my email notification to them as it was a phishing attempt as they have no record of the email regarding pilcy changes.

When I told her the information is on my account under policy updates she refused to discuss and hung up on me.

An utter waste of my time after holding almost 30 minutes. I tried calling back and the wait time now ism even longer.

Does any one here exactly know what the update means?

I can't use the confirm my info as I am a Canadian and don't have an SSN and have a W-8Ben on file with them.

Message 88 of 103
latest reply

@miketuch11 wrote:

Neither did I, when I logged in. No advertisements, no special links. No news is good news.

From what eveyone has said, (and I read all 4 pages), if you (like me) have had a personal account linked to a personal credit card, then nothing changes.  The only change they've made that I can see is, if I have to send money to somebody (like a refund), they just charge my credit card, if I have a 0 balance, which I do most of the time.
It used to be, you had to have enough money in your Paypal account to cover a refund .

You may want to call Paypal yourself as I recalled and was told you will no longer be able to carry a balance in your Papal account but will have to carry the balance in you cash account or cash plus account and you can make payments through them.

Message 89 of 103
latest reply

So basically the PP account as it now stands will just be a "pass through" to the Cash accounts.
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 90 of 103
latest reply