cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PayPal User Agreement Update

Did anybody else get an email about this change? 

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full

Message 1 of 103
latest reply
102 REPLIES 102

Re: PayPal User Agreement Update

no

Message 46 of 103
latest reply

@myjunqueyourtreasure wrote:

@wpt05 wrote:

@mam98031 

I have a PayPal Business Debit Mastercard does that mean I have a business account?  Maybe they changed it to a personal account since I sold significant less last year.  Also, I haven't used the card in quite some time.  Smiley Indifferent

First there were PP personal accounts and if you wanted to sell and accept cc payments you had to change to a Premier (so quasi business account) then later they began the 'actual' Business accounts.

That makes sense.  Premier is probably what I had or have then. Thank you for the information.  

Message 47 of 103
latest reply

This may confuse the issue of personal, premier, and business account questions but a few months ago I sold an item out of my R. Lane Shop to a buyer who lives in Canada and does her banking there, but gets her mail and/or packages in North Dakota.   I had a premier PP account and had everything blocked because I didn't want to accept out-of-the country buyers or any payments from out-of-the country banks.  She was a very nice buyer to deal with and she really wanted the item so I promised her I would make it happen.  I thought I would hop over to PP and removed my blocks to accommodate her order.  NOT!

I went through my PP premier account with a fine tooth comb and I couldn't find, on the PP site, where to remove the blocks.  My Ebay account was no help either.

I called PP customer service and finally found a CSR to possibly help me.  I thought it was a techie problem and so did she but it turned out that PP has done away with Premier accounts.   By doing away with Premier accounts it also wiped out the ability to take blocks off of rules that I put in place years ago.

The CSR and I tried every way we could to remedy the situation but we were not able to change any thing.   She suggested that I should upgrade to a Business Account.  I had that Premier account since 2000 but if I couldn't make changes, what good was it.   I upgraded and was able to remove my blocks.  After my buyer received her package and it was in good order, I put my blocks back in place.  No more problems!

As far as I know, people that have Premier accounts were never notified, I know I wasn't.  And, the CSR I talked to did know it,  but didn't know that it was causing problems like mine.

The change took place, I believe, sometime in 2018, and there are only the personal and the premier that I know about.

Message 48 of 103
latest reply

Very confusing because I just checked and the instructions to make those payment block changes are in the Help section and refer to both Premier and Business accounts but the sections they refer to can no longer be found in the Premier account sections.

I never got any kind of communication or emails or notices from PayPal that they were doing away with Premier accounts. I did read somewhere that you could no longer make a Premier account but if you had one you were grandfathered in unless you wanted to upgrade to Business.

What a mess! I'm about ready to just load up all my magazines and head off to the recycle center this week and be done with Ebay and PayPal and the whole danged mess.

Message 49 of 103
latest reply

@wpt05 wrote:

@mam98031 

I have a PayPal Business Debit Mastercard does that mean I have a business account?  Maybe they changed it to a personal account since I sold significant less last year.  Also, I haven't used the card in quite some time.  Smiley Indifferent

I wasn't speaking to what the status of your account is with PP, I would have no knowledge of that.  My comment was completely based on the email you shared and the statement within that email that said it was pertaining to personal accounts.  There was no mention of business accounts in the email.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 50 of 103
latest reply

@siayan wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@siayan wrote:

I haven't figured out how but I bet it is somehow connected to the PayPal eBay separation and eBay's going it alone.  Maybe pushing into a credit card type situation so eBay will still use PayPal indirectly. There is a rub in there somewhere.

Credit card payments when in the Managed payment program go through Ayden.

PP will NOT be able to "force" Ebay to do much of anything once their contract with them is done in a couple years.  

I didn't say PP was trying to force eBay to do anything. I think they are setting up an option where PayPal can still be used for eBay purchases. Like a CC

In the Managed payment program as it currently exists at this moment, you can use a CC to pay for your purchase.  That means that a PP credit card or debit card CAN BE currently used within the program.  The email that is the subject of this thread doesn't change that.  

Message 51 of 103
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

But this is money being transferred INTO a PP Cash account.

The email says there is NO updates to PP fees.  I'm only going by what they stated in the email.

Plus PP does not currently charge a fee to transfer money from your PP account into your bank account.  

Certainly things could change.  But per the email, they aren't at this time.

Yes, I know there's no charge to transfer FROM PP to a Bank account, but we're talking about direct deposit FROM Adyen/ebay TO PP.

My bad.  I didn't know the subject had changed from the contents in the email.  I'm sorry, I didn't notice that you were talking about Managed payments.

While Ebay managed payments can't transfer to a PP account [because they aren't a bank, is my understanding], I have not known PP to charge a fee for receiving a deposit before.  But things change and who knows what the future holds.  

Message 52 of 103
latest reply

I got the email today, also.

I have an ordinary account with an ordinary credit card.
Suppose I do nothing.
Suppose I get paid $100 for selling something.
What happens to the $100?

In all those 33 pages, I can't tell.

Message 53 of 103
latest reply

@miketuch11 wrote:

Suppose I do nothing.

I just got the email this morning. Now I'm beginning to wonder did they just go and change all the Premier accounts to Personal accounts if we didn't upgrade to a Business Account? I went back through all of my emails received from PayPal in 2018 and there was no notice that Premier accounts would revert to Personal?

I dug all around in my PayPal account last night and can find no reference to even what kind of an account I have! What a mess!  The PayPal help pages are a mess. I'll dig around in their forums later today. You can tell Ebay had their sticky fingers all over PayPal during the time they had them! LOL

Message 54 of 103
latest reply

@readabouthorses wrote:

@miketuch11 wrote:

Suppose I do nothing.

I just got the email this morning. Now I'm beginning to wonder did they just go and change all the Premier accounts to Personal accounts if we didn't upgrade to a Business Account? I went back through all of my emails received from PayPal in 2018 and there was no notice that Premier accounts would revert to Personal?

I dug all around in my PayPal account last night and can find no reference to even what kind of an account I have! What a mess!  The PayPal help pages are a mess. I'll dig around in their forums later today. You can tell Ebay had their sticky fingers all over PayPal during the time they had them! LOL

Yes, apparently PayPal has done exactly that. Premier accounts have been downgraded to Personal accounts, with no notice or warning whatsoever.

I also had a Premier account, and I noticed a few months ago, that the "tools to manage risk" (which allow you to set blocks on receiving payments) were gone. According to these earlier posts on this thread, the blocks are still there, but you can't change them anymore unless you upgrade to Business.

Message 48:

@skootergal wrote:

This may confuse the issue of personal, premier, and business account questions but a few months ago I sold an item out of my R. Lane Shop to a buyer who lives in Canada and does her banking there, but gets her mail and/or packages in North Dakota.   I had a premier PP account and had everything blocked because I didn't want to accept out-of-the country buyers or any payments from out-of-the country banks.  She was a very nice buyer to deal with and she really wanted the item so I promised her I would make it happen.  I thought I would hop over to PP and removed my blocks to accommodate her order.  NOT!

I went through my PP premier account with a fine tooth comb and I couldn't find, on the PP site, where to remove the blocks.  My Ebay account was no help either.

I called PP customer service and finally found a CSR to possibly help me.  I thought it was a techie problem and so did she but it turned out that PP has done away with Premier accounts.   By doing away with Premier accounts it also wiped out the ability to take blocks off of rules that I put in place years ago.

The CSR and I tried every way we could to remedy the situation but we were not able to change any thing.   She suggested that I should upgrade to a Business Account.  I had that Premier account since 2000 but if I couldn't make changes, what good was it.   I upgraded and was able to remove my blocks.  After my buyer received her package and it was in good order, I put my blocks back in place.  No more problems!

As far as I know, people that have Premier accounts were never notified, I know I wasn't.  And, the CSR I talked to did know it,  but didn't know that it was causing problems like mine.

The change took place, I believe, sometime in 2018, and there are only the personal and the premier that I know about.

Message 49:

@readabouthorses wrote:

Very confusing because I just checked and the instructions to make those payment block changes are in the Help section and refer to both Premier and Business accounts but the sections they refer to can no longer be found in the Premier account sections.

I never got any kind of communication or emails or notices from PayPal that they were doing away with Premier accounts. I did read somewhere that you could no longer make a Premier account but if you had one you were grandfathered in unless you wanted to upgrade to Business.

What a mess! I'm about ready to just load up all my magazines and head off to the recycle center this week and be done with Ebay and PayPal and the whole danged mess.

Message 55 of 103
latest reply

Morning, Lace. I have had the PP Premier Debit card since 2002. And PP would always auto renew it whenever it needed to be. First week this Feb 2019, I notice they had not sent me a new card since it expired February. No notice, nothing. I called and their reasoning was the new card was returned because they needed to verify address? Just crazy. Have had the same address forever. But while on the phone, PP rep verified everything then sent me a new card in 7 days. The new card is a Business Debit, Mastercard. So not sure what's going on, but my Premier was auto upgraded to this business account card.

I ain't got the brains to make this up (Fantastic Beasts)
Message 56 of 103
latest reply

General Comment:

And when I just read the Business Debit account specifics, it says that if I "overspend" my PP monies but have a backup payment, I can still use the card (knowing no PP money in there) and they will just auto remove it from my backup bank. I need to read the FAQs more carefully, but when I had the Premier (with a backup account) my card would be refused in the store if not enough PP money in there...have no clue but need to read more thoroughly. Plus this business card still gets cash back of 1%.

Message 57 of 103
latest reply

**general reply**

It appears that Paypal did away with Premier accounts, at least to new signups, approx.  four years ago - at least that's what I find from Googling around. I guess now they are going to merge Premier into Business accounts?

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 58 of 103
latest reply

Hi, Southern. I have no clue. And when I was on the phone with the PP rep in early February about renewing my Premier card, she never said anything about it being "upgraded" to this Business Account. When I received the card that is when it states Business Debit Card. And usually your name and expiration dates are referenced on the front, now they are all on the back. I haven't used it yet, but that statement you can still use it if you don't have money in PP where it will take from your backup just threw me for a loop. Again, haven't gone back to really read it all. But I found that blurb when I click on the card in the upper left of your activity page.  

Message 59 of 103
latest reply

@abfabvintage wrote:

Hi, Southern. I have no clue. And when I was on the phone with the PP rep in early February about renewing my Premier card, she never said anything about it being "upgraded" to this Business Account. When I received the card that is when it states Business Debit Card. And usually your name and expiration dates are referenced on the front, now they are all on the back. I haven't used it yet, but that statement you can still use it if you don't have money in PP where it will take from your backup just threw me for a loop. Again, haven't gone back to really read it all. But I found that blurb when I click on the card in the upper left of your activity page.  

I've had a Paypal debit card since 2000 or 2001, never signed up for it, they just sent it to me lol I've had the new style card for a couple of years. You can actually set it to pull from your backup account if you don't have the funds in Paypal. I have mine set to NOT take from the backup.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 60 of 103
latest reply