cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of Line Prices on Vintage Costume Jewelry

I have noticed some outrageous prices on vintage costume jewelry and some shipping costs are also way out of line.  Furthermore...some descriptions are so brief and lacking in the most basic descriptions...like size!  Wow...have you seen some photos...what really makes me laugh are bad photos, scant descriptions and high prices Smiley LOL

Message 1 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Re: Out of Line Prices on Vintage Costume Jewelry

Best defense against a SNAD is a thorough complete description.

While the seller may not know much about their item, they can still inspect it to see any damage, or other anomalies.

They can describe what they see.  They can provide measurements.

But many just don't, some use the title of the listing as the description.

Doesn't give the buyer much to go on, and I think many buyers don't even bother to message with questions as this is so prevalent, so then sales are down.

Message 16 of 49
latest reply

So what?
Message 17 of 49
latest reply

I fail to understand the problem they aren't breaking the law they aren't breaking eBay rules their items most likely will never sell at those prices so what is the problem exactly? are you angry you can't profit or swoop in on some good deals from this seller? are you angry that someone may pay a ridiculous price in the future and they won't spend the same amount of money with you? which is it?

Message 18 of 49
latest reply

I rarely bother with listing any jewelry. The category is so oversaturated and full of so many deceitful titles and descriptions, that it's simply a waste of time! All the brand new Chinese stuff seems to always be listed with Vintage in the title, when it just came off their production line yesterday! Thus, unless your piece is a recognized designer, with few listings, it will never be found, let alone purchased. It appears to be that way with most categories here. The selling heyday ended over a decade ago.
Message 19 of 49
latest reply

Very brief, sometimes incomplete item descriptions.

if a size is not provided , the size may disappoint.

Set a high dollar amount, you can always lower the price after several months. Why would the naive buyer

suspect some sellers would ask an outrageous price & still expect the

item to sell?

The less that is said within the description, the fewer SNAD CASES.

Gosh that's cynical.

Not wrong, but cynical.

Message 20 of 49
latest reply

@magicjohnsonsvariety wrote:

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

The less said in the description, the fewer the SNAD cases.

With all due respect, omission of info is a cause for a SNAD.

If someone leaves out key info, that a buyer may not consider asking for, that is on the seller~~SNAD.

Buyer may need to know about that stain or hole that wasn't mentioned, or other damage, to make an informed buying decision, and since the expense of a return is on the seller, a good, thorough description helps a seller avoid that.

JMO

Absolutely, I've come across incomplete descriptons that I swear look like it was done on purpose, 1 blurry photo when all the others are sharp. Another trick I commonly see is the misspelling of important key words that my 3rd grader can easily spell...

I can't help thinking that ebay is really the root cause for descriptions becoming more and more vague over the years...

From a sellers standpoint, why should I put too much effort into a description when ebay is just going to side with the buyer on a SNAD regardless if I write one word or a novel?

Totally understand, but there have been cases where the buyer complains about something that was noted in the listing, and Ebay finds in favor of the seller.  But I believe you have to call CS and get someone to actually see that.

Message 21 of 49
latest reply

Seriously, if the seller has a minimal description, and the item comes with damage, a buyer is not going to just say, oh well, it wasn't in the description.

They will file SNAD because of the seller's lack of disclosure, that did NOT give them the item they ordered, and they will win.

Not saying a buyer won't file even with an accurate description, but the chances are greatly lessened than if you conceal info the buyer should know because you are afraid of a SNAD.  Concealing or not disclosing info will just greatly increase your chances of a SNAD.

Message 22 of 49
latest reply

I'm talking about the prices which are hundreds of dollars over what a reasonable person would pay...I was just curious why some sellers hope to accomplish?

Message 23 of 49
latest reply

I'm talking about the prices which are hundreds of dollars over what a reasonable person would pay..

For some unfathomable reason, some sellers who run out of a product, usually one that they have had multiples of, instead of taking down the listing (which would happily sit in thieir Unsold List for 90days) will put the price up to a ridiculous amount.

I don't understand how they think this is a sensible business practice.Like you, the customers are likely to think the seller is delirious, and they are not going to get a sale in any case.

The only reason I can think of is that somehow mistakenly they think they will get a Defect for closing a listing.

Something I for one do daily on stale listings without any problems.

I suspect that in one of those really dumb How To Sell On eBay webinars, someone suggested this and (like refusing to ship to PO boxes) the internet ran with itl

Message 24 of 49
latest reply

@thenandnowvintage wrote:

I'm talking about the prices which are hundreds of dollars over what a reasonable person would pay...I was just curious why some sellers hope to accomplish?

I don't dwell on what people are hoping to accomplish it's a waste of time.

Message 25 of 49
latest reply

A lot of sellers are now using their phones to list stuff. It is not as easy to type out description. I do agree with you all about bad pics and no descriptions.
Dear God, please help me to be
the person my dog thinks I am.
Message 26 of 49
latest reply

They are probably hoping that someone who really wants the item will come along and buy it, and the seller will have accomplished the securing of a great profit.

Message 27 of 49
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

I'm talking about the prices which are hundreds of dollars over what a reasonable person would pay..

For some unfathomable reason, some sellers who run out of a product, usually one that they have had multiples of, instead of taking down the listing (which would happily sit in thieir Unsold List for 90days) will put the price up to a ridiculous amount.

I don't understand how they think this is a sensible business practice.Like you, the customers are likely to think the seller is delirious, and they are not going to get a sale in any case.

The only reason I can think of is that somehow mistakenly they think they will get a Defect for closing a listing.

Something I for one do daily on stale listings without any problems.

I suspect that in one of those really dumb How To Sell On eBay webinars, someone suggested this and (like refusing to ship to PO boxes) the internet ran with itl

I understand they do this as a place holder, so that the sales history that is attached to the listing is not lost, and so they do not have to re-list and start over.

Message 28 of 49
latest reply

I think a lot of that is people look at other listings instead of completeds to see the going rate of things. It happens all the time at garage sales and even thrifts. They put high prices on things because that's what it's selling for on Ebay. I actually was at a sale when this was the response given by a home owner to a potential buyer - but the guy one upped her - pulled out his phone and said - you have to check solds - this is what the item is actually worth! Loved it - but she was adament it would sell. I went back the 3rd day of her sale to see if she reduced any prices - nope!

Many times people can't get the concept that because they pd $50 for it 10 yrs ago - it must still be worth at least $50 if not more.

OP asked a simple question folks - no different than myself and other clothing sellers wondering how clothing - 1/2 the quality is sold while our NWT higher end items that are priced at the exact cost of that which sold or $1 or $2 more are sitting.

Message 29 of 49
latest reply

For some it is that one piece of jewelry they have been looking for for a long time.  It might be to replace a sentimental piece they once had, but lost.  So they are willing to pay extra for it.

Message 30 of 49
latest reply