cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Older Messages

It's amazing how far behind Khoros can sometimes be in taking down threads that are old.

Just looked at a post from 2017 where I answered a question.

Just before that, saw a post from September, 2023, that had been closed by the bots.

There is no consistency, is there?

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Older Messages

There is no consistency, is there?

@soh.maryl 

No, there is not.  

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Older Messages

Bots are not closing threads, actual Khoros moderators close old threads that people reactivate by tagging on to a thread that was from years ago instead of starting a new one for their issue.

Sometimes those threads are reactivated after a few months and sometimes a few years but in general Khorus are consistent about this basic policy.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Older Messages

I would like to be able to go back to the first decade of the 21rst century. There were many more coin sellers and collectors and we communicated daily. Smedly is the only one i recognize from those times. I am sure ebay thinks they have  consistency in taking threads down. There was no bots working it was real people.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Older Messages

Pretty sure I mentioned Khoros as the source of this issue.  The particular one I cited had the original message, my response and another person's response, all from 2017.  Somebody must have been searching for info about this particular topic because there was a recent "helpful" tag.  

My point was that, sometime between 2017 (6 years ago) and yesterday, Khoros could have deleted it.  

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Older Messages

@soh.maryl 

The last few days, that's all I seem to see is really old posts that received a best answer yet they continued to be resurrected from the dead.  

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Older Messages

I saw one from 2003 just last week. I think it's the oldest I've seen. 

The way the system must work is a thread just ages but does not get removed until someone 'replies' to an 'old' post (and yes, sometimes OLD is 3 months and sometimes 15 years)

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Older Messages

@soh.maryl wrote:

Pretty sure I mentioned Khoros as the source of this issue.  The particular one I cited had the original message, my response and another person's response, all from 2017.  Somebody must have been searching for info about this particular topic because there was a recent "helpful" tag.  

My point was that, sometime between 2017 (6 years ago) and yesterday, Khoros could have deleted it.  

Khorus don't delete threads unless it is requested by the OP or the entire thread is full of board policy violations. What they do is lock threads that get reactivated.

One of the reasons these old threads get reactivated is that they sometimes show up in the sidebar but most often it's users who do a search and don't notice that they are posting to a very old thread.

I suppose Khorus could automatically lock any thread that hasn't had a new post added in X days.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Older Messages

Ok, forgive me for not knowing the correct terminology; I should have said "locked" rather than deleted.

And that particular thread had not had any action since 2017. 

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Older Messages

Also saw one recently that discussed selling NP-95 face masks, think it was 2020-2021.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Older Messages

Keeping old, old postings here make no sense....what was 4 years ago is probably different as to how to solve problems today.

Do you think if they got rid of old posts...it would be quicker to use this site....sometimes it is rather slow refreshing.

But that would be too easy...wouldn't it?

I am sure glad I don't act like this and I delete my old emails.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Older Messages

Old threads are not deleted.  They are just locked or archived, so new answers can't be given & that only happens when someone ressurects the thread.  Typically b/c they do a search for their problem & find an old similar thread.  

I'm not aware of ANY online providers that lock old threads except in this type of circumstance.  It would be super cumbersome to do so.  Though I'm sure it could be automated. 

Also, many of us believe these are online records & should never be deleted.  In fact, many of us are still upset over all the data & knowledge that was lost when Khoros took over & the old threads disappeared.  They are a historical document & within a specialty, such as Fashion or Coins or whatever, have a huge knowledgebase of information.  Yes, some of it is old, but much of it is just as applicable as it was when it was first posted.   Looks like it's gone now, but even last year, the Fashion board has a pinned thread on stain removal that was MANY years old.  Still as valid today, as it was when it was written.  Also, just today, I was looking for historical info from a 2015 thread. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Older Messages

Khoros doesn't just automatically close a thread once it reaches a certain age.  They close them because they get a request to do so.  Either by the OP of the thread or by some other member.  It could be because the seller feels they got the info they needed so it is time to close.  Or it could be some other member that reports the thread simply because it is old.

Then there are times when the thread is too confrontational and Khoros closes it for that reason.  To heated as they put it usually.

But to my knowledge there is no policy to auto close threads of a certain age.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Older Messages

well hello, maryl.   for some  STRANGE reason you think older threads are irreleveant, but you could not be further from the truth.  WHEN A SUBJECT IS STILL RELEVANT, THEN KEEPING A THREAD OPEN SERVES THE COMMUNITY.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Older Messages

Quite true.  You  are so right.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply