cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obsessive Buyer/Stalker

Hey everyone, 

I'm fairly new to selling on eBay. I know of scammers and other common issues with operating a selling account on here but the problem I have is a little unusual... 

I had a buyer send me an offer for an item I'm selling, which I rejected and as soon as I did, he went crazy. Claims I'm selling fake merchandise and threatens to report me to ebay. Insulting me etc.

He sent me around 5-6 messages without me responding to any of them within 2 days. 

So I reported him to ebay, blocked him and everything. Then I get a bid on the same item from a different buyer with a username suspiciously similar to the other guy. I check the profile and all of his feedback is negative because he bids and never pays for the item so I assume it's another account the first buyer is using to continue to harass me.

After blocking the second buyer I find out that the first guy is following my account!

Has anyone else had issues with crazed buyers stalking you before? 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Obsessive Buyer/Stalker

No, I haven't.  But with five items and little feedback, I'd close my account and open another one with different items under a completely different name.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Obsessive Buyer/Stalker

Sounds like you've done all the right things up to this point. Don't respond to him in any way and keep him on your Blocked Bidder List for any new user ID he comes up with. Probably a good idea to make Customer Service aware of his creating a new ID to get around your blocks. (Technically, eBay has said in the past that they will allow this in cases where the buyer really wants to buy the item, for some reason, but your whackjob has hopefully made it clear in his messages that he's simply a toxic buyer.)

He will eventually find someone else to get mad at, especially if he's getting no further responses from you. Good luck.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Obsessive Buyer/Stalker

I would do what Divwido suggested...

And your new account should not have your name as your store name..I can guess that 1993 is the year you were born..give youself more privacy..just buy low priced items and then you will have some feedback..

A new account is what you should do at this point..

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Obsessive Buyer/Stalker

P.S. A little off-topic, I know, but as you are listing those DVDs for worldwide shipping, you might want to play up the fact that they're Region 4 encoding (Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, South America and the Caribbean) rather than Region 1 (U.S.), any other Region, or unencoded. You do have them identified as such in your Item Specifics, but some international buyers may not understand what that means.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Obsessive Buyer/Stalker

@nicholasdove1993 wrote:

Then I get a bid on the same item from a different buyer with a username suspiciously similar to the other guy. I check the profile and all of his feedback is negative because he bids and never pays for the item

Sellers have not been able to leave negative feedback for buyers since 2008, so if you are seeing negatives on his profile they are not because he " because he bids and never pays". 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Obsessive Buyer/Stalker

@luckythewinner wrote:

@nicholasdove1993 wrote:

Then I get a bid on the same item from a different buyer with a username suspiciously similar to the other guy. I check the profile and all of his feedback is negative because he bids and never pays for the item

Sellers have not been able to leave negative feedback for buyers since 2008, so if you are seeing negatives on his profile they are not because he " because he bids and never pays". 

I think the OP is referring to false Positives. I see those quite a bit on some buyer accounts.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Obsessive Buyer/Stalker

@a_c_green wrote:

Sounds like you've done all the right things up to this point. Don't respond to him in any way and keep him on your Blocked Bidder List for any new user ID he comes up with. Probably a good idea to make Customer Service aware of his creating a new ID to get around your blocks. (Technically, eBay has said in the past that they will allow this in cases where the buyer really wants to buy the item, for some reason, but your whackjob has hopefully made it clear in his messages that he's simply a toxic buyer.)

He will eventually find someone else to get mad at, especially if he's getting no further responses from you. Good luck.

Ebay: "We have reports that you've been circumventing being blocked and are harassing this seller. Please stop or we will be forced to take further action."

Buyer: "But I REAAAALLY want to harass this seller."

Ebay: "Oh, since you really want to. That's okay then. Try bidding as a guest, it's much faster that way."

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Obsessive Buyer/Stalker

@luckythewinner wrote:

@nicholasdove1993 wrote:

The buyer has 2 negative positives on his feedback profile.  And a true negative as a seller.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Obsessive Buyer/Stalker

I check the profile and all of his feedback is negative because he bids and never pays

Those sellers are foolish.

If they had opened Unpaid Item Disputes, not only would the wacko get a Strike, but he would be finding it very difficult to buy on eBay since most sellers have an automatic Block against deadbeats with Strikes.

You should do that too.

On you new account (since this one is being followed by a nut) use Seller Preferences/Buyer Requirements to automatically Block any bidder with two or more Strikes in the last 12 months.

Usually I recommend using Fixed Price listings which have a fraction of the number of Unpaid Disputes, but in this instance being able to monitor bidders on auctions would be useful.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply