cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number of Times Seller Can Decline An Offer

Regarding the “Make Offer” feature, I have somehow gotten the impression that Ebay will only allow a seller to decline an offer two times. I’ve been reviewing Ebay’s documentation however and haven’t been able to find anything regarding that limit.

Is this true and if not, is there in fact some other limit on the number of times a seller can decline an offer? Thanks for any feedback.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

He can decline any offers that come in...or ignore altogether...are you asking if the seller HAS to accept an offer??? Of course he doesn't..

But as many come in, as many can be declined...

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@sscot6   This assumes the Auto Decline is NOT selected but it used to be 3 back and forth offers and counter offers.  I seem to recall eBay upt it to 10 either late last year or very early this year ... which makes no sense, I think a few back and forth replies and the two parties will know if they are going to find a happy medium.  I don't use the feature myself ... maybe if they changed it and called it "Let's haggle" I "might" consider it.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Its not on the sellers count. Its the buyer who has x number of offers they can make. Its either 3 or 4 i believe.
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I'm quite sure that a buyer can make up to 5 offers.  I had one a couple of days ago where, on the 4th offer, a buyer finally reached above my auto-decline amount.  The notice said that the buyer could make one more offer.  I accepted his 4th offer. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

It's (currently) a limit of 5 offers per listing. I know. I'm down to 1 left in my buying account after haggling (unsuccessfully) with a seller over a nice item that he wants way too much for.  Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@sscot6 wrote: ... is there in fact some other limit on the number of times a seller can decline an offer? ...

A potential buyer can make up to 5 offers on any specific listing (IIRC, there are a few categories that are exceptions). Each time a seller gets an offer, he can choose to accept, decline, counteroffer, or even just ignore the offer.  

That response cannot be changed: If you decline an offer, you can't go back later and accept that specific offer; you'd have to wait for the buyer to send a new offer.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

It used to be 3 offer then ebay changed it to 5 offers

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

One thing is for certain......no matter what my counter is eBay gives me the seller a blue flashing suggestion to " a lower offer will keep the buyer in the negotiation".

I have a hot seasonal item cheapest on all of the internet. Get offer of 25% less. Limited supply will be gone by the weekend. Offer 10% discount on counter.......way more than fair considering it will sell for asking price. Still get ebay telling me my counter is to high.

Hey ebay....your fees are to high.
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Thanks for all of the responses!

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Sellers are never required to accept an offer, so there is no limit on how many they can decline.  However, while the limit on how many a buyer can make use to be three, I believe it was increased to five.  I've also heard that in some categories the limit was increased to ten but I'm not sure if that is correct.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 11 of 11
latest reply