cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number of States that require an internet tax is up to 34 - Here is the list of them

I was curious to see what states require eBay to collect tax on. Sellers now don't have to collect the tax, eBay will charge your customer automatically. I think I found the latest info and wanted to share it with anyone interested since I couldn't find a list that had all the states listed here. 

There are currently 34 states where eBay is obligated to collect and remit to the respective authorities for marketplace transactions:

Alabama

Arizona

Arkansas

California

Colorado

Connecticut

Hawaii 

Idaho

Illinois 

Indiana

Iowa

Kentucky

Maine

Maryland

Massachusetts

Michigan 

Minnesota

Nebraska

Nevada

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Dakota

Ohio

Oklahoma

Pennsylvania

Rhode Island

South Carolina

South Dakota

Texas

Utah

Vermont

Virginia

Washington

West Virginia

Wisconsin

Wyoming 

Hope this helps you as it did me.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Number of States that require an internet tax is up to 34 - Here is the list of them

@japan-treazures wrote:

I was curious to see what states require eBay to collect tax on.... I couldn't find a list that had all the states listed here. 

There are currently 34 states  ....

Here's the eBay help page which has a chart that shows all the marketplace facilitator states and details such as rates and effective dates.    Georgia joins the list on April 1, bringing the total to 39 states plus Washington DC. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/taxes-import-charges?id=4121

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

@japan-treazures wrote:

I was curious to see what states require eBay to collect tax on.... I couldn't find a list that had all the states listed here. 

There are currently 34 states  ....

Here's the eBay help page which has a chart that shows all the marketplace facilitator states and details such as rates and effective dates.    Georgia joins the list on April 1, bringing the total to 39 states plus Washington DC. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/taxes-import-charges?id=4121

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

This is pretty old news, but, thanks?
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I'd say Sales Tax is the least of our problems right now.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Yeah, tue, but it's nice to read a thread that isn't about toilet paper, price gouging, hand sanitizer, what a lousy job eBay is doing, or how people shouldn't have had so many children so they didn't have to depend on school lunches to feed them.

SMH.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for clarifying and the link!

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I need to make a correction to this post. There 37 as of now and by April 2020, there will be two more added states: Georgia and the Washington DC - District of Columbia. Total 39 states.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

At the time it was not new news to me. I just thought I would post it to help others without realizing it was actually posted here on eBay. I am not sure how I missed getting the page when searching. . I must have done a bad search on both community and help. 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I need to slow down, here is what I needed to say. 

At the time it was not old news to me. I just thought I would post it to help others without realizing it was actually posted here on eBay. I am not sure how I missed getting the page when searching. . I must have done a bad search on both community and help. 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply