cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now I remember why I stopped selling on eBay years ego.

I used to have two power seller accounts on eBay years ego (early 2000s) with about $50,000 sales per month on each account. Then eBay decided to change their algorism to the so called "Best Match" and for some reason eBay became the Chinese seller flea market overnight. They seem to favor Chinese sellers who listed 50 thousand things a day on eBay for dirt cheap so basically, I gave up. 

Recently about few weeks ego I start selling on eBay again (under new account) and thing were going well. I am offering comparative pricing, free shipping and had no problems so far. But then I started realizing why I had stopped years ego.

1. My sells stopped over night to ZERO. They went from doing great for a new account to Zero overnight and I have NO idea why. Most my items are showing on top of first page with people watching and no apparent new sellers trying to beat me in price, etc. 
  2. Tried to call eBay support twice and gave up each time after 45 to 50-minute wait. 
  3. eBay holding $7000 of my cash and slowly releasing it even though my items have been delivered with no issues. If my buyers have received their orders with NO issues, why is eBay/PayPal still holding on to my money???? They are basically stopping my cash flow to a point that I am going to stop selling since I don't want to have problems paying my vendors who I buy from to sell on eBay. 
  4. Selling limits, selling limits, selling limits. Yes, I realize that PayPal/eBay are worried about scams. But my orders were received by my customers with no issues so far. 

Why do I feel like eBay punishes you or tries to hold you back when your account and selling is doing good? 

Very frustrating. 

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

New sellers have selling limits which includes hold on funds until tracking shows delivered.  You can call Paypal and have them review the tracking and they usually will release your funds.

Also your pictures are in violation with the picture policy here at eBay so you might run into problems if you do not change them. 

Click here to learn more about the eBay picture policy

Good Luck Selling!

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Most my items are showing on top of first page with people watching and no apparent new sellers trying to beat me in price, etc. 

So ebay is showing your product and you are on the top of the first page no less.

Should they hold a gun to the head of buyers and force them to purchase as well?

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

@mac-parts-usa wrote:

I used to have two power seller accounts on eBay years ego (early 2000s) with about $50,000 sales per month on each account. Then eBay decided to change their algorism to the so called "Best Match" and for some reason eBay became the Chinese seller flea market overnight.

1. My sells stopped over night to ZERO. They went from doing great for a new account to Zero overnight and I have NO idea why. Most my items are showing on top of first page with people watching and no apparent new sellers trying to beat me in price, etc. 

Must be another change in an eBay algorism.

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

a

@pburn wrote:

@mac-parts-usa wrote:

I used to have two power seller accounts on eBay years ego (early 2000s) with about $50,000 sales per month on each account. Then eBay decided to change their algorism to the so called "Best Match" and for some reason eBay became the Chinese seller flea market overnight.

Must be another change in an eBay algorism.

An ebay algorism - is a sign coming up saying "danger, don't buy."  Is the buy button missing?

If items are on page 1.  Buyers are obviously seeing them as there are watchers- what else do you expect from ebay?

One suggestion - if watchers are like me, check the prices.  That could be the problem.  A drop in price may take a buyer off the fence.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

One suggestion - if watchers are like me, check the prices.  That could be the problem.  A drop in price may take a buyer off the fence.

A drop in price tells watching buyers that you know your price is to high or you are becoming motivated thus if they wait you may lower it even more.  I have better luck when I raise the price up a little.

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

a

@doubledz-a2z wrote:

A drop in price tells watching buyers that you know your price is to high or you are becoming motivated thus if they wait you may lower it even more.  I have better luck when I raise the price up a little.

I can only speak for myself of course but, I know the price is too high, and that is why you are in my watched list.  It is an item I want and am just waiting for motivation - like an ebay 10% of sale, or 10% ebay bucks, or for you to lower it a bit.

Raising the price as motivation - not sure how that rumor got started or how many buyers actually fall for it.  If I did not buy at the lower price, why would I want to pay more for it?

That might only work if a new seller comes on right at that time and desperately wants it and will pay anything for it.  Chances are he did not see it for the lower price, so does not know the difference,

But for those who have it in our watched list and saw it cheaper and still hesitated, ........

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

If you enter tracking, and it shows delivery, you can get your money released three days after delivery if you call.

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

@doubledz-a2z wrote:

Raising prices will immediately get an item removed from my watch list.

One of the reasons I put items on that list is the price being too high, raising it higher lets me know that the seller and I are nowhere near the same mindset so there is no purpose in continuing to watch.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

Thank you for reply. I saw the image policy but not sure which part I am violating. 

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

This has nothing to do with forcing people to buy and I appreciate a helpful response if possible. Your response was useless. 

When you constantly sell steady and and all of a sudden it goes to zero then there can be a problem. There are tons of algorythem updates with bugs. 

There are many articles about this. For example there have been people with my experince who called eBay about this issue and minutes after their call sells started again. Explain that please? Did you know they can reset your account??? 

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

There are bugs, bad algorythem updates and other issues that are out of sellers control that can cause this. THAT is what eBay can do to fix issues.

My prices are very compative and I have been checking it three times a day. I have even added cheaper products and half my listings are being watched. So price doesnt explain sales going to zero over night.

Reseting accounts is something eBay can do to fix bugs but they dont advertise it. Many people with my issue have called eBay support and their started immediately after the call ended even though eBay told them they dont see anything wrong. Happened to me once. However waiting an hour for support is pathetic for a multi billion dollar company but I guess I have to keep trying.
Message 12 of 26
latest reply

@mac-parts-usa wrote:

This has nothing to do with forcing people to buy and I appreciate a helpful response if possible. Your response was useless. 

When you constantly sell steady and and all of a sudden it goes to zero then there can be a problem. There are tons of algorythem updates with bugs. 

There are many articles about this. For example there have been people with my experince who called eBay about this issue and minutes after their call sells started again. Explain that please? Did you know they can reset your account??? 

I have heard that before about resetting your account.  I believe that was for sellers whose items were not showing up at all.

Yours are right there and on page 1.

Did you check to see if there may be a new competitor with better prices.

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

I do agree with you, however I am posting the same product with different options and different prices, some with $80 lower so if somebody wants a cheaper one they can probably buy it and they do and they have been but all of a sudden everything went to zero. I make about $40 to $45 on each sale no matter which part I sell.
Message 14 of 26
latest reply

If people can put your item in their watched list, why if they choose to do so, can't they simply just buy it?

What bug would prevent them from doing the latter if they wanted to make that purchase?

Message 15 of 26
latest reply