cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not allowed to link to our photo source stored online? Wat is going on EBAY?????????????

I am getting messaged by ebay every few weeks stating I have contact links etc in my ads. I have nothing but dead links to former ME pages that don't exist - which I am removing one by painful one. I have been told crazy things like the UNDERLINE I use on my headings is causing the problem- their computer thinks it is a link- so I am removing those too. (anymore hoops to jump though ebay?)

Now I was told I cannot paste my photos from photobucket into my ads- that is a link- which if you try to click on it CLEARLY is NOT a link. I was told I need to save these links internally - make my computer a public server so others can see these pics. I have never heard of anything so ridiculous in my life. We are allowed to have pics stored on an external server per ebay rules- how are we supposed to put them in our ads if not by https// adding them? I don't want 1000's of pics stored on my poor old computer- I am not the only one using photobucket or an online storage system and I sure as heck am not making my computer a public server or buying one.

About ready after over ten years to kiss ebay goodbye!!!  Customer service checking on it for two months now cannot come up with one REASONABLE answer.

Probably just venting- there is no answer to their system being messed up. 

Dance like no one is watching...Sing like no one is listening!
Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Not allowed to link to our photo source stored online? Wat is going on EBAY?????????????

@kittenkat22 wrote:

I am getting messaged by ebay every few weeks stating I have contact links etc in my ads. I have nothing but dead links to former ME pages that don't exist - which I am removing one by painful one. I have been told crazy things like the UNDERLINE I use on my headings is causing the problem- their computer thinks it is a link- so I am removing those too. (anymore hoops to jump though ebay?)

Now I was told I cannot paste my photos from photobucket into my ads- that is a link- which if you try to click on it CLEARLY is NOT a link. I was told I need to save these links internally - make my computer a public server so others can see these pics. I have never heard of anything so ridiculous in my life. We are allowed to have pics stored on an external server per ebay rules- how are we supposed to put them in our ads if not by https// adding them? I don't want 1000's of pics stored on my poor old computer- I am not the only one using photobucket or an online storage system and I sure as heck am not making my computer a public server or buying one.

About ready after over ten years to kiss ebay goodbye!!!  Customer service checking on it for two months now cannot come up with one REASONABLE answer.

Well, they still allow you to embed an IMG tag pointing externally, but you cannot link it. Meaning, if you are showing a thumbnail that can be clicked on to see the full size image offsite  - not allowed. You can directly post the full size image, but I think this is unlikely to work well for most listings. Also, everything external needs to be served HTTPS. 

The answer is to host the images on eBay. 

I've had a number of problems with eBay flagging problems with my listings and/or delisting entirely or penalizing my listings due to code in the listing template. They don't really seem to publicize what the latest trend of template revisions that must be made is, and I got tired of playing whack-a-mole and simply removed the template altogether. My listings are now all plaintext. This has the added benefit of not having your description entirely hidden behind a button on the mobile app. This has also improved my CTR. (which is odd, because my CTR tripled when I originally moved from plaintext listings to a fancy template years ago). 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

@kittenkat22 wrote:

Well, they still allow you to embed an IMG tag pointing externally, but you cannot link it. Meaning, if you are showing a thumbnail that can be clicked on to see the full size image offsite  - not allowed. You can directly post the full size image, but I think this is unlikely to work well for most listings. Also, everything external needs to be served HTTPS. 

The answer is to host the images on eBay. 

I've had a number of problems with eBay flagging problems with my listings and/or delisting entirely or penalizing my listings due to code in the listing template. They don't really seem to publicize what the latest trend of template revisions that must be made is, and I got tired of playing whack-a-mole and simply removed the template altogether. My listings are now all plaintext. This has the added benefit of not having your description entirely hidden behind a button on the mobile app. This has also improved my CTR. (which is odd, because my CTR tripled when I originally moved from plaintext listings to a fancy template years ago). 

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I’ll bite.... what’s plaintext?

Just typing with no html?

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@this*old*attic wrote:

I’ll bite.... what’s plaintext?

Just typing with no html?

Yeah no formatting at all. 

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Not sure what the issues here are. I use a template, all HTML. I also have the pictures embedded in my listings (https) and I have never had an issue.  I dont link to them so maybe thats the issue? If you click on one of mine they wont take you anywheres.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@the_fancy_fox wrote:

Not sure what the issues here are. I use a template, all HTML. I also have the pictures embedded in my listings (https) and I have never had an issue.  I dont link to them so maybe thats the issue? If you click on one of mine they wont take you anywheres.

Right, you can't link. You can't use any scripts. You also can't use certain HTML tags. IE. I used to use a resource tag for images instead of images, so that when I didn't have a full 12 images, the additional images didn't show up as broken images. This was to avoid making code changes on the backend side and worked fine for years. These are now disallowed though and your listing will get disappeared and you'll get a nastygram for using them.

So far as I know, using straight image tags is fine. Nested in an "A HREF=" will get the bots in a tizzy. 

When I was still using a pure HTML template, the eBay app would not show my description at all, only a button you must click to see it. With plaintext, the first X number of characters(looks to be 100 or so, haven't checked - someone else here mentioned) will get displayed with a link to "read more." 

Its possible eBay made a change as pure coincidence with the time I removed the template but I kinda doubt it. They are all showing on the mobile app since I removed the template and they definitely were not before. 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Just a thought, as they do not want any external links could eBay be saving your and our pics in a library for there use in a future eBay venture example :- You can only use our pics ?
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Hi, thanks for your response- that is exactly what I am doing. I changed them all to httpS so that it would not flag (capital S for emphasis here). They are cut and paste per photobuckets suggestion into the ad and when you click on the photos- nothing happens. Just like when you click on my underlined headings- no link -nothing. I have dead links I am removing but it is tedious since it is one by one and I have nearly 600.

I spent a lot of time years ago designing my store so that it would not look like everyone elses- well, they changed that a year ago and we all look generic until you see the individual ads.  I would prefer to keep the ads. My pics are still stored on photobucket and it costs $50 a year now. I would rather have them there than on my computer since mine went though a major catastrophic flood years ago and is really old (sat in sewer water for 4 hours until we could wade back to the house). It has crashed a few times since so that is why I prefer my external paid server to store my photos right now until I figure out what kind of computer I want to get next- when I can afford one- PT is eating up any extra money right now- I am in a wheelchair at the moment. 

Seems ebay has nothing better to do. I get a different nonsensical answer from each person I speak too- problem is - they never let you talk to an IT tech for ebay.  I had one guy remove the underlined words- the under line that is- from about 50 ads and he said he put a note that my store is compliant.

I got frustrated with them and told her I was hanging up- the answer she provided was pure garbage. 

I will keep changing them until they have a hissy fit and cancel ads- I am doing far better at my other online store than here anyway- I told them- go ahead and make me move 100% there- just I cannot right now- I am locked into that one year store contract- it just renewed.

Been there and done what with ebay- they took down 200 of my ads over the word "faux pearl"- they wanted me to use simulated- back when I started here. Some sellers kept reporting me. I called ebay and told them at the time I wanted all 30K Ads of theirs with the words faux pearl in it REMOVED. Gee, well all of sudden FAUX is ok now to use- they still cancelled my ads- I had to remake 200 even though I won that argument. 

Would be nice to talk to a tech person but I think it is all robots now.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Hi, I have taken out all the underlines since one ebay person told me that the bots "think" this is a link. I am still getting the message. I found one of my gifs did not update with the S code in the http so that could be the issue but two of them have nothing that would be a link. 

You said you are using a template- where is your template stored or did you purchase the one from ebay? I am wondering if that is what they are pushing that you buy theirs (I think their store fee is already too high and they want you to purchase a template per each listing too?). My template is on again- photobucket.

I called four times and four different answers. I cannot call I have a virus and laryngitis for a month and cannot talk right now- this is aggravating to say the least.

Thanks for your input!

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@equid0x wrote:

So far as I know, using straight image tags is fine. Nested in an "A HREF=" will get the bots in a tizzy. 

What do you mean "A HREF=" is a problem? Been using that since day one. Sometimes over a hundred in a listing.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Scan your listings here http://www.isdntek.com/ebaytools/ActiveContentScanner.htm and fix the broken ones.

It shows 114 needing repair. You have non-eBay links (some is Vendio wreckage left in the HTML, the rest I didn't bother to check), and a bunch (75) with missing target attributes.
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

OK FOUND THE ANSWER

So after having removed UNDERLINES from all the various headings in each of my 600 ads- done one at a time (HUGE GROAN)- that did not solve the issue per ebay tech number 6 on this same issue.

Then I was told I needed to make every ad a template- so four weeks later and 80 done out of 600 (I have been ill - vocal cord damage etc- so that slowed me down- I do have other stores and mail to get out) I get an email from ebay this am at 1:30 am that I still have ads not compliant and two of them were redone into ebay templates two weeks ago. They should have been good.

I called again- this tech (#7) tells me it is the remnants of Vendio gallery I got rid of  (not all of it went away for some reason when I removed it from each ad) and that as long as every thing is  HTTPS I should be good to go. So he removes that and says you are fine. I am re-listing again and this time decide to check for the Vendio  remnants in the html advanced editing area and there is none- I see the "mobile friendly checker" and clicked on it and VIOLA there I see "Non compliant links" and YES it is RED there are violations. I clicked on the link and every one of the five violations in there were EBAYS errors NOT MINE. They were click on the image to enlarge etc- things that are ebay tech site design issues- nothing I have input into nor have I ever changed them. EBay errors- no wonder when I grilled him on the second ad they said was in violation he did not agree about Vendio being the issue.  He just said you are good to go- all your ads are fine now.

So the lesson here is to check the Mobile friendly link  and It can correct any errors for you by clicking on the fix errors button.

I do not have to make templates - as long as the photobucket links are httpS (large S for emphasis) I am good and I am done. Now after all these months I can go list new stuff and be done with this nonsense. Meanwhile in my other store - not on ebay- I have made five times the income as here! 

Hope this helps someone else! 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Turns out it was an ebay site issue- there is a mobile friendly checker  link in the advanced editing area. The errors showed up under that link and there was a way to let them correct them.

It was ebay code for click on the picture to enlarge it and things like that- nothing I ever changed- it is ebays own code that did not update- whatever- or whenever we converted all the http to https. As long as I have https I can store on photobucket. No templates and no storing on ebay is necessary.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply